• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danny Richie, GR Research, doesn't recommend a speaker he can't sell an "upgrade" kit for

AudioArchitech

I have upgraded my crossovers with higher quality parts using the same value: ClarityCap CSA, Miflex KPCU bypass caps, Mills resistors, Solen Litz Air Coil Inductors and there were significant differences. I made the change one part at a time, one speaker at a time and listened to the differences.
(speakers have dual 6.5" Seas Prestige woofers and Seas Prestige tweeter, d'appolito.

delta76

Major Contributor
I have upgraded my crossovers with higher quality parts using the same value: ClarityCap CSA, Miflex KPCU bypass caps, Mills resistors, Solen Litz Air Coil Inductors and there were significant differences. I made the change one part at a time, one speaker at a time and listened to the differences.
(speakers have dual 6.5" Seas Prestige woofers and Seas Prestige tweeter, d'appolito.
unless you have the (accurate) measurements to back it up, the "difference" is very subjective :)

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

sure, but I can share my experience, and if enough people share their similar experience, you may find value in it. won't be exactly like looking at Amazon 4.5 star reviews, but you get the point

raest

sure, but I can share my experience, and if enough people share their similar experience, you may find value in it. won't be exactly like looking at Amazon 4.5 star reviews, but you get the point
there is no value in that. sorry to be blunt, but that's the way these things work. you either back those claims with data or controlled blind listening tests, or they have no value. otherwise, all the unsubstantiated claims about power conditioners, power cables, speaker cables etc radically altering the sound would have value and merit. and they don't

the onus is on you to prove it. and considering how cheap nowadays it is to get a good measurement microphone, there's really no excuse

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We get the point.
goebbelsquote.jpg

Amusingly this is falsely credited to Goebbels, it's much older. See also the Illusory truth effect. This post is Godwin's law adjacent.

sq225917

Major Contributor
The plural of anecdote is not data.

No one here cares what anyone else 'thinks' something sounds like. We're interested in high quality verifiable data.

Opinions are like arseholes, we all have one, they're all full of shit.

AudioArchitech

Nobody believed me when I found that my Topping PA5 didn't sound right. How could it be true, Amir did all these measurements... Then it got worse, then fully defective. Then others had the same issues. It's believable now.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
sure, but I can share my experience, and if enough people share their similar experience, you may find value in it.
A million people swearing that astrology is true does not give any of their statements any value beyond a bit of insight into human psychology and social dynamics.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Do you ever look at the number of positive Amazon reviews when you shop on Amazon? yes or no?
Number? No. I read a selection of positive and negative reviews. This is why I have a Three Wolf Moon t-shirt and a 55 gallon drum of personal lubricant.

Of course, the analogy is entirely inapt, but don't let that slow down the Superstition Train.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nobody believed me when I found that my Topping PA5 didn't sound right. How could it be true, Amir did all these measurements... Then it got worse, then fully defective. Then others had the same issues. It's believable now.
You mean you missed the review thread of 200 pages of people complaining?

TrevC

A million people swearing that astrology is true does not give any of their statements any value beyond a bit of insight into human psychology and social dynamics.
Or any given religion is true, come to that. At least astrology is relatively harmless.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My analogy is bang on, you're the one going with Astrology

You have as much evidence as the astrologers, flat earthers, and alien abductees. I'm particularly interested in the accounts of anal probing, which @SIY normally keeps track of. I wonder if it costs extra...

delta76

Major Contributor
your point being? a bad batch is not uncommon in manufacturing, which is why you usually pay more for reputable brands/manufacturers to hope that your chance of getting a sour lemon is lower.
using a bad component almost certainly affects your product quality in overall, but the reverse is not true, using a top end component does not necessarily (very much unlikely) improve the quality out of the spec.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A defect is something very different than the performance testing of a properly working device, Amir doesn't do reliability testing here.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A defect is something very different than the performance testing of a properly working device, Amir doesn't do reliability testing here.
I would appreciate though if he edited the main review post acknowledging these defects, right now it’s not a great look specially if people are continuing to buy based on the review.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would appreciate though if he edited the main review post acknowledging these defects, right now it’s not a great look specially if people are continuing to buy based on the review.
While I can understand this point, it is a complex matter, as defect statistics through forums can be quite deceiving due to several known reasons. Personally I would keep both separate and just add a disclaimer that a performance review does not say anything about reliability.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know he produces some actually useful audio products (speaker kits/drivers), but seems in his quest to remain relevant or expand sales he has adopted some goofy ideas. I wouldn't give him the time of day personally.
Did you see the review on his “little giant killer”.

Top Bottom