• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danley Studio 2

williamwally

Forum Donor
I thought the Studio 2 was supposed to be a powered version of the studio one, but it looks like they really went after it (if their specs are good, which I hear they usually are): https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/pro...0w-relm2bHLLdDh8q-scGtl8-Yz-1koJy4i1HE#slide2

6.5 Coax and 10 inch woofer powered with passive xover. Extension down to 28hz (3db), nice looking frequency response (red) and amazing phase response (green). Hope Amirm can get one sometime:

1589044279646.png

1589044927374.png
1589044144867.png

SPECIFICATIONS
  • operating
    frequency range

28 Hz - 19.2KHz +/-3dB
    20.5 Hz - 20.5KHz -10dB
  • continuous output
    112 dB SPL
  • peak output
    122 dB SPL Peak
  • sensitivity
    100 dB @ 1m (-3dBu input)
  • driver complement
    1 x 10” long excursion woofer
    1 x 6.5” coax mid/high
  • dimensions
    14.5 in. x 14 in. x 22.5 in.
    37 cm x 35.5 cm x 57 cm
  • weight
    65 Ibs | 29.48 Kg
  • Power Rating
    250 watts low, 125 watts mid/high
As an aside I hear they may be trying to shift focus a little more to studio/home environments given the current state of the install market.

Attachments

• 1589044890084.png
    1589044890084.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 277
OP
williamwally

williamwally

Forum Donor
>powered
>not active
Why?
Good question seeing they have other amps with xover and dsp processing built in and then also have very sophisticated modeling software etc.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Very intriguing. @ $4400 each. So little information available on the web so far on these.
I was going to hit buy 'till I saw this. :) How about you all contacting him to see if will send one in for testing?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
>powered
>not active
Why?

Probably thought that they couldn't improve on the FR, phase and directivity, while increasing BOM cost and points of failure. This is assuming it's a cost and performance-based decision. If they are using a simple XO with readily available parts, and the linearity is more down to Danley's acoustic design and driver choice, I can see why they would.

Looks cool - I have a soft spot for stuff like this.

This one looks cool too at $1400: https://oceanwayaudio.com/hr5/

I knew about the HR4 but I didn't know they released a more affordable speaker. Looks really cool. Not sure how it'll perform with biradials horns.

LDKTA

I’ve heard some of the larger Danley loudspeakers along with their subwoofers. Although in a HT setting, they are excellent to say the very least and there’s no reason why they wouldn’t excel in a two channel stereo system. These definitely look intriguing though.

100 sensitivity is really impressive! Expensive, though. Danley loudspeakers are definitely on my short list to hear someday.

Its the sensitivity given -3dbu at the amplifiers input. This is not comparable to the ratings of passive speakers, where the voltage at the speakers input is the reference value.

darrellh44

Why do y'all think the Studio 2 is not powered. Here's an excerpt from the Danley product description:

The Studio 2 is a compact and extremely accurate powered reference monitor. Studio 2 is designed to be a self-powered stand-alone box with no need for an external sub. It incorporates onboard processing as well as passive synergy crossover technology. The Studio 2 is ready for use in any studio environment having analog, digital-balanced XLR inputs and RCA inputs.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Why do y'all think the Studio 2 is not powered. Here's an excerpt from the Danley product description:

The Studio 2 is a compact and extremely accurate powered reference monitor. Studio 2 is designed to be a self-powered stand-alone box with no need for an external sub. It incorporates onboard processing as well as passive synergy crossover technology. The Studio 2 is ready for use in any studio environment having analog, digital-balanced XLR inputs and RCA inputs.
Nobody said it wasn't powered, but it's not active.

zbroyc

Tom is fond of using passive crossovers for the midwoofer to horn handoff. the plate amp is from miniDSP and the active crossover is between that 10" subwoofer and the coaxial driver. The response is modified at the factory by Ivan and plugged into the plate amp parameters.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
100 sensitivity is really impressive! Expensive, though. Danley loudspeakers are definitely on my short list to hear someday.

I don't think the woofer itself could be 100dB sensitive (at least not in full-space). The 100dB sensitivity figure is quoted as "Sensitivity @1m (-3dBu input)".

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
100 sensitivity is really impressive!

Puny 10” woofer, “small” vented box, -3dB at 28hz? No way those 100 dB are legit. Hofmanns iron law cannot be broken.

Even so, these things look pretty slick and will probably sound even better.

Edit: dude above is correct, 100dB with input level of -3dBu, so about half a volt RMS

zbroyc

To me, judging from the shape of the horn part it looks like he might be using a 6.5"Beyma. the horn is specified as 102 db but the 6.5" section is listed as 94 db. probably the sub is a lot lower but compensated for in the amp.

zbroyc

'been thinking of how Tom employs his 'synergy' horn concept here. The clue is in the slight space between the flare of the round horn and the angle of the cabinet outside of that. It looks like .25" to .5". This might be enough for all that 6.5" output but it sure seems like a small volume of air to me.

Top Bottom