• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

jarkkoj

I used REW and in ear microphones to correct for how my ears dimensions interact with this glorious headphone.
@John B This sounded fabulous! Would you mind sharing your REW measurement files, since I don't have anything other than Umik-1 for my speakers? Thanks! :)

MMeirolas

As a total noob i find this audiophilia World terribly amusing and fascinating:

Page 1: Stealth measures and sound amazing. An example for other brands.

Page 85: the 150€ Beyer Plastic 880 sounds waaaaay better than the Stealth

:D

Rthomas

Forum Donor

Law of diminishing returns…

The price of the stealth and other TOTLs is 90% marketing . Beyer has plastic cups, Stealth has carbon fibre and LCD5 has magnesium cups. Doesn’t make any difference to the sound quality.

I’m sure many people prefer the 880. With EQ the difference between totls and respectable studio monitor headphones is small

MMeirolas

The price of the stealth and other TOTLs is 90% marketing . Beyer has plastic cups, Stealth has carbon fibre and LCD5 has magnesium cups. Doesn’t make any difference to the sound quality.

I’m sure many people prefer the 880. With EQ the difference between totls and respectable studio monitor headphones is small
Yeah... You're probably right. I would never spend that amount of money on a Headphone.

Still, Carbon and Magnesium are more expensive than Plastic... Although not so much more that it would reflect a 4000$ price Tag ;)

The Beyer are well build, and you can repair them if you need to. Was referring only to the sound quality out of box

markanini

Major Contributor
Beyer DT880 is a solid open-back, not just for the price. Except for the 600Ohm version which has rather high distorsion.

markanini

Major Contributor
Innerfidelity's measurements show basically identical distortion between the 32, 250, and 600Ω DT880:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/innerfidelity-headphone-measurements
Thanks, I was looking for the link.
1676759402151.png

You see the 32 Ohm version crossing into 1% THD at 60 Hz, whereas the 600 Ohm version crosses into 1% THD at 100 Hz.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think you can really take people seriously when they say stuff like that, they're totally different headphones and the vast majority of people are going to be finding the Stealth sounding better than the Beyer 880:

Beyer 880:
DT880.png

Stealth:
Stealth.png

Whilst the Stealth would have vastly lower distortion too.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think you can really take people seriously when they say stuff like that, they're totally different headphones and the vast majority of people are going to be finding the Stealth sounding better than the Beyer 880

There's a pretty good chance that the vast majority of people are going to experience the Stealth in different ways though, while the DT880 should be able to have lower variation across individuals :D.
For some of the individuals above it's entirely reasonable that the DT880 would sound better, warts and all.

markanini

Major Contributor
DT880 is a set that tends to get brough up in lengthy TOTL discussions at least one or two times. It's not Beyerdynamics most popular model or some new, hyped up set. You could say this speaks to it having a subjective track record. It costs 1/23rd of a Stealth. I think you can be an objectivist and still recommend DT880. Value is an objective, subjective tone is an objective. OTOH I've dismissed a newer set based on graph performance myself, because of a deviation too close to pinna, and oratory1990 confirmed it was audible, but a few people that have a OTT objectivist self-image simp heavily for it. I'll not say which headphone because I expect it will generate too much OT and emotions.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a pretty good chance that the vast majority of people are going to experience the Stealth in different ways though, while the DT880 should be able to have lower variation across individuals :D.
For some of the individuals above it's entirely reasonable that the DT880 would sound better, warts and all.
I did read through your linked posts quite quickly, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that's the Stealth being measured. But you are right that closed back headphones tend to have more variation on peoples heads than open backs, and I suppose semi-opens like the DT880. I'm certainly not ready to concede that the DT880 is a better headphone than The Stealth - I certainly don't take that view, no siree.

markanini

Major Contributor
It's known that open backs have higher FR consistency on real heads. Dismissing that would be willful ignorance.
1676850054937.png

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to be dramatic, (at least you're not being irrelevant this time), I'm not dismissing it. It's certainly something to bare in mind when you're buying a headphone or if you were to buy the Stealth or any other closed back headphone and find that it doesn't sound as you expect (from the measurements).

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any purported lower inter-person variation is irrelevant if temporal and unit variation are fast and high.

That's a very good point. Both sample variation and coupling issues are a blind spot in current reviews that jump straight to the "do these headphones adhere to X target" point without knowing first and foremost whether they actually can reliably deliver it.

I did read through your linked posts quite quickly, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that's the Stealth being measured.

It is ! But it's a semi-educated stretch.

I'm certainly not ready to concede that the DT880 is a better headphone than The Stealth - I certainly don't take that view, no siree.

Neither do I, but neither would I be surprised if an individual in particular preferred a sample of the DT880 over the Stealth. They're both probably problematic one way or another.

markanini

Major Contributor
It's very likely based on the graphs, their source and time frame.

But the FR variability of closed backs is a known fact. For that reason it would come of as unknowledgeable to focus on an averaged FR measurement in this contect. It would be like ignoring off-axis FR for speakers, and being stubborn while doing it.

markanini

Major Contributor
Speaking of ignoring FR variability, different levels of pad wear will cause 5dB or more loss in bass on the DT880:
View attachment 265965
And unless you have a GRAS at home, you can never know at what wear level your pads are.
Keep in mind few offer first party replacement pads for the variability to be measured in the first place, so singling out DT880 might be incorrect.

Top Bottom