• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

aandres_gm

I'm staring at these photos, staring at my Stealth, looking back at the photos, but I don't understand what you're looking at?
The pad is supposed to be completely straight up to the edge, without any "creasing" or other lines at all. Due to the its construction, the foam inside DCA pads tends to slightly twist, so that its edge no longer matches with that of the faux leather. This results in earpads that show lines or creases before the edge, like in one of the posted pictures. This is an old and known issue that plagues basically every DCA headphone, and is so prevalent, that DC has a tutorial on YouTube on how to untwist the foam by massaging it with your fingers.

These compromises like the twisting foam and the glued pads are imo acceptable on lower end models, but I'd expect better from a brand new $4k headphone.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I think he’s looking at this edge (see arrow). The sewn seam should line up with the edge of the foam, but it doesn’t here. This is subtle in this example, but on other DCA models this is a known issue that can get worse over time.

E457316D-DB07-4098-9FA4-5C10A7A7DBD0.jpeg

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
My Noires look like that. It doesn’t bother me too much as it doesn’t affect the sound but would be great if @Dan Clark could find a fix for this issue.

BDB2C2B5-EFFB-4720-9910-66A610F977A9.jpeg

tusing

budje

There is a video on Dan Clark’s YouTube channel about how to put it back into shape
Please pay attention to the replies in this thread. This fix doesn't work, and also this is the only brand of headphones where something like this is a problem. It's not acceptable for the price point the headphones are sold at.

Yo I just noticed this on my Stealth! Especially on the left pad. I've only had it a month!

@Dan Clark are there any plans to fix this? Can you offer replacement pads without the issue?
This is why I'm not buying headphones priced at $4,000, no matter how close to Harman. I'm on my second pads of the Aeons which have irreversible twisting, the video doesn't help fix them, nor did it help fix the first set of pads.

I have the LCDx which have giant, luxurious pads. I have the Mad Dogs with the alpha pads. No issue even remotely like this. Leather and pleather deteriorate over time for any headphone, but it usually takes years and it's subtle. Dan Clark has chosen pad technology that does it in the box. Dan please fix #padgate for headphones at this price point.

JDragon

Please try Max Richter's "Cradle To the Grave", from the Hostiles OST. If you encounter distortion in the bass at your desired volume, you need a more powerful amp for the Stealths. This track has extremely deep bass that makes the Stealth move an incredible amount of air while remaining very clean and true to the source.
This track vibrated my ears when I cranked it. Quite an interesting sensation!

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stealths came yesterday. They sound pretty good. Definitely need a bit of EQ though. If anyone is curious how glasses can affect the FR of the Stealths (and since there appears to be a concern about the foam seal), I decided to take measurements with and without glasses on using in-ear binaural mics and REW.
Green = without glasses
Purple = with glasses
Each curve is the average of two readings.
IGNORE the absolute FR measurements, since my model/calibration is probably not standard. But the delta between green and purple should be valid.
There appears to be about a 2-3dB loss of bass response between 20Hz and 160Hz or so when I wear my glasses. I'll need to factor this into my EQ.

1635057055615.png

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I have experienced the same bass drop with my Noires when wearing my Oakley glasses but when I wear my titanium Silhouette rimless glasses, the seal is perfect and there is no bass drop.

Dan Clark

Audio Company
I think he’s looking at this edge (see arrow). The sewn seam should line up with the edge of the foam, but it doesn’t here. This is subtle in this example, but on other DCA models this is a known issue that can get worse over time.

View attachment 160713

That is the foam edge moving under the seam. Stealth pads are much wider than AEON and the potential for foam movement is therefore much lower. That said, stitched seems have a tolerance of +/- 1mm. Combining tolerance with the fact that a stitched seem can't lay perfectly on a sharp edge, it must either move to the inside or outside of the edge of the foam, you can get a minor edge issue like this, which is normal. The Stealth pads are very stable and we have had no material issues of foam movement that we know of, and if we do we'll warranty the pad, of course.

Dan Clark

Audio Company
Stealth seal is already tricky. I can't have it get worse. @Dan Clark we would greatly appreciate your input on whether there will be pads that fix this issue!
It is not an issue for Stealth and it should be more stable with time due to the pad having a different and larger design from AEON.

DawgSlaya

That is the foam edge moving under the seam. Stealth pads are much wider than AEON and the potential for foam movement is therefore much lower. That said, stitched seems have a tolerance of +/- 1mm. Combining tolerance with the fact that a stitched seem can't lay perfectly on a sharp edge, it must either move to the inside or outside of the edge of the foam, you can get a minor edge issue like this, which is normal. The Stealth pads are very stable and we have had no material issues of foam movement that we know of, and if we do we'll warranty the pad, of course.
Will there be extra pads for the Stealth available for purchase soon?

HRTF_Enthusiast

Etymotic ER4S was released in 1991. And for all these years no one surpasses it.
If neutral = anechoically flat speakers with good vertical and horizontal directivity, the response measured at DRP won't be anywhere near as smooth as ER4S. Do you view HRTF as a flaw in the human ear anatomy? If not, what is your argument for something which ignores individual HRTF variations sounding timbrely correct?

Top Bottom