• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark E3 Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 162 77.1%

• Total voters

Dan Clark

Audio Company

staticV3

Master Contributor
No, power is definitely low. From their specs here https://gracedesign.com/products/monitor-controllers/m900 it looks like it'd only put out about 145mW around 27 ohms
perhaps you misread the specs?
Screenshot 2023-12-12 193950.png

quattro98

Forum Donor
Hm, not sure what to tell you... I had been on the right page but the specs were way worse, somehow I must have landed on a different product...

Not sure, but anyhow, yes, that's plenty of power unless you like it LOUD.
Thanks. There’s both a high power and low power mode since it can be connected to a separate power supply vs only USB powered. There are two sets of specs. I figured it would be fine, but a wanted to check.

Dan Clark

Audio Company
@Dan Clark how would you compare detail/resolution of E3 vs Stealth/Expanse?
Can we think about similarities?
They are close but Stealth and Expanse tease out a little more low level detail. As Stralth and Expanse have slightly lower distortion levels. the three headphones will have a family resemblance with smooth amd balanced midrange and easy transitions across the octaves without major discontinuities. Stealth is a bit smoother than E3 but E3 has a bit more treble energy for a bit more shimmer. E3s bass is also a bit more forward For a bit more of a fun sound. The tonal differences are relatively small, for the most part within a db or so.

Chagall

Forum Donor
Does anybody know if the headband (leather part, not the metal wires) is removable on E3?
Maybe if it's possible and not too much hassle, I'll try to replace the stitching.

And can anyone recommend a good XLR cable (Europe), I think E3 will come only with 6,3 mm or should I just get DCA XLR cable?

top-image_2.gif

Grobbelboy

Most websites selling the Stealth and Expanse in EU also offered multiple cable options (often including XLR), so I don't expect this to be different with the E3.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I'm tempted to give it a try as a portable headphone, but I'm not sure my Lotoo PAW 6000 digital audio player will be able to drive it properly.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm tempted to give it a try as a portable headphone, but I'm not sure my Lotoo PAW 6000 digital audio player will be able to drive it properly.
According to Reference Audio Analyzer, the Lotoo PAW 6000 can output about 2.15Vrms at 27Ω, via its 4.4mm Balanced output:
Screenshot_20231215-123945_Chrome.png Screenshot_20231215-123729_Chrome.png

Amir measured the E3's sensitivity at 100dB/V @425Hz, or about 104dB/Vrms @<100Hz due to the inherent bass shelf.

That means that the PAW 6000 can drive the E3 to about 110dB SPL Peak, which is plenty loud enough IMO.

For reference, my usual listening volume of ~85dB SPL Peak is just 20% as loud as you can play with the PAW 6000 + DCA E3.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
According to Reference Audio Analyzer, the Lotoo PAW 6000 can output about 2.15Vrms at 27Ω, via its 4.4mm Balanced output:
View attachment 334469 View attachment 334470

Amir measured the E3's sensitivity at 100dB/V @425Hz, or about 104dB/Vrms @<100Hz due to the inherent bass shelf.

That means that the PAW 6000 can drive the E3 to about 110dB SPL Peak, which is plenty loud enough IMO.

For reference, my usual listening volume of ~85dB SPL Peak is just 20% as loud as you can play with the PAW 6000 + DCA E3.
Thank you for the data and explanation provided!

SlothRock

Curious if these still have the glued pads for a multi thousand dollar headphone or if DCA finally found a proper pad implementation?

dougq

Curious if these still have the glued pads for a multi thousand dollar headphone or if DCA finally found a proper pad implementation?
It is the same type as Expanse / Stealth. I don't know that I would just consider it glue, but some form of adhesive(that can be reused a few times).
Others can chime in but I have heard that developing a proper working pad to headphone connection while maintaing a seal is not simple, and probably even more so in regards to a closed headphone. I'm not sure I see the issue as if a user replaces a pad, it should be a one and done thing for a few years.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is the same type as Expanse / Stealth. I don't know that I would just consider it glue, but some form of adhesive(that can be reused a few times).
Others can chime in but I have heard that developing a proper working pad to headphone connection while maintaing a seal is not simple, and probably even more so in regards to a closed headphone. I'm not sure I see the issue as if a user replaces a pad, it should be a one and done thing for a few years.
Any people here know how much of a hassle it is to replace the glued on pads? I mean maybe it's not much of a hassle. Any room to get the process wrong (easily)?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Any people here know how much of a hassle it is to replace the glued on pads? I mean maybe it's not much of a hassle. Any room to get the process wrong (easily)?
I did it for my Aeon 2 Noires. Easy and fast; no hassle.

Top Bottom