• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Audio AEON RT Review (closed headphone)

ririt

Hi... We offer 2.5 and 4.4mm cables on our site. For the RT these cables may not be cost-effective so the other path is to get an RT with the XLR cable and then you can get whatever adaptor you want to any termination, there are a few sources that sell almost any adaptor you need.
Thanks Dan Clark. I really appreciate that you suggested a solution which is cost-effective for your customers!

Stevenich

I have the Drop Closed X version and love them. How did you get the Roon Para EQ display to show all the bands at once? Mine only shows the band selected.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Drop Closed X version and love them. How did you get the Roon Para EQ display to show all the bands at once? Mine only shows the band selected.
Click on the arrow next to "Band X" under the graph- brings a drop down into view with all. Do you normally select which band to change by clicking the coloured blob on the graph? Many an EQ has been unintentionally altered doing that!

DubbyMcDubs

@amirm what is the imaging like compared to the HD 650, say?

DubbyMcDubs

Is there anything in the pipeline? Just interested, even if I pulled the trigger for a "Noire" yesterday... :)

I would love this also. Trying to choose which to buy. Review all of them? :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Drop headphone is very similar to the RT.

If there‘s interest we can send more units for review.

The AEON 2 Noire is closest to the Harman curve in our line, the open headphones all have more upper bass than the Harman curve, Amir’s reference for tone. But they are all pretty easy to EQ for anyone wanting that exact signature (it’s probably worth noting Olive says 25% of people want more bass than the curve and 25% want more treble). They will all share the low THD.

Well I bought the RT open on the strength of the Closed RT. Send that in as long as it gets a good review ;-)

Dan Clark

Audio Company
My DAP has a balanced out of 4.0Vrms. Would that be able to power these closed cans?

Simple question, complicated answer. A device needs to swing voltage and current and when a vendor only publishes voltage you have no idea how well it supports low impedance headphones without more detail. 4V is meaningful if your headphone is 150 ohms or up as if a device can swing that voltage it needn't put out much current so it's probably it delivers its full power based just on voltage.

In theory 4V RMS = ~1.3W into the AEON, IF it doesn't current limit. If they publish detailed power specs where power doubles when load is cut by half you'd likely see this... 1W at 16 ohms, 500mW at 32 ohms, 250 at 64 ohms. If the amp is running out of current, the number at 16 won't double the output at 32, it may be the same, or even fall, for example 500mW at 16 ohms.

If you don't crank it (and spare your ears) it's probable 4V is enough, but some people like it LOUD, and for that you need more specs or to reference a model Amir has mentioned to check power.

alpahcreed83

Simple question, complicated answer. A device needs to swing voltage and current and when a vendor only publishes voltage you have no idea how well it supports low impedance headphones without more detail. 4V is meaningful if your headphone is 150 ohms or up as if a device can swing that voltage it needn't put out much current so it's probably it delivers its full power based just on voltage.

In theory 4V RMS = ~1.3W into the AEON, IF it doesn't current limit. If they publish detailed power specs where power doubles when load is cut by half you'd likely see this... 1W at 16 ohms, 500mW at 32 ohms, 250 at 64 ohms. If the amp is running out of current, the number at 16 won't double the output at 32, it may be the same, or even fall, for example 500mW at 16 ohms.

If you don't crank it (and spare your ears) it's probable 4V is enough, but some people like it LOUD, and for that you need more specs or to reference a model Amir has mentioned to check power.

Thanks so much for this very thoughtful answer!!!! It seems to run my Audeze LCD-2 Classic very well so fingers crossed.

pointlineplane

Thanks for sharing the link. Seems like a good place to buy reasonably-priced cables for a variety of connector types and configurations.

I modded my pair and got rid of their connections. I'm using mono 3.5mm for each cup. I have a cheap Chinese 2.5mm balanced to dual 3.5mono cable. I believe I linked to it earlier in the thread.

How did you mod your headphones to use 3.5mm jacks? I'd prefer that connection type over the stock Hirose connectors.

Last edited:

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Thanks for sharing the link. Seems like a good place to buy reasonably-priced cables for a variety of connector types and configurations.

How did you mod your headphones to use 3.5mm jacks? I'd prefer that connection type over the stock mini-XLR connectors.

Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion | Page 20 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org) Some pictures are included there. It was really quite easy and these are such a joy to work with. Once you pull them apart you really realize how amazing the craftsmanship is on them.

Here one pic from that thread.

Capturesmaller.JPG

USD$19.00 - Silver Plated Cable for Final Audio vi Iriver AK T1P Denon AH-D600 D7100 Hifiman Sundara Ananda HE1000se HE6se he400 ary - lunashops online shop

USD$16.00 - 3.5mm To 3.5mm Audio upgrade Cable For Denon AH-D600 D7100 Velodyne vTrue Headphone - lunashops online shop

Aliexpress will also have these cables but they can be tricky to search for sometimes. I've probably placed 8 orders through lunashops. Only one had an issue and never arrived. Luna shops made everything right except the delay of course. Be patient with the shipping. They are so cheap though I would just order several so that you have them on hand. That way you don't have to wait for shipping when you decide you need another.

Here is the jack I used.
Amazon.com: Ximimark 4Pcs 3.5MM Audio Video Jack Socket Stereo Solder Panel Mount Jack Connector Headphone Jack Connector 3 Pole Black with Nut: Home Audio & Theater

Notice it's 3 pole but just wired using 2. Refer to the head-fi thread for specific details and feel free to ask questions. These are my second favorite current pair. I slightly prefer my Focal Elears. I can't listen to those though while I'm trying to get a two year old to fall asleep next to me.

jannek

Aliexpress will also have these cables but they can be tricky to search for sometimes. I've probably placed 8 orders through lunashops. Only one had an issue and never arrived. Luna shops made everything right except the delay of course. Be patient with the shipping. They are so cheap though I would just order several so that you have them on hand. That way you don't have to wait for shipping when you decide you need another.

Nice to read of someone knowing lunashops. Found their page yesterday and was wondering about the prices. And about the fact they describe themselves as ebay powerseller but at least I can't find them there. And at the shop no AWGs or lengths are mentioned?
Any recommendation for a cable type? Not speaking of sound, but flexibility and microphonics... I am pretty happy with the new type of DCA Standard cable, but would like a balanced one.

Last edited:

pointlineplane

Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion | Page 20 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org (head-fi.org) Some pictures are included there. It was really quite easy and these are such a joy to work with. Once you pull them apart you really realize how amazing the craftsmanship is on them. (snip) Notice it's 3 pole but just wired using 2. Refer to the head-fi thread for specific details and feel free to ask questions. These are my second favorite current pair. I slightly prefer my Focal Elears. I can't listen to those though while I'm trying to get a two year old to fall asleep next to me.
Thanks for the helpful and detailed explanation! Also, I updated my previous post to use the correct term -- "Hirose." :)

Last edited:

tsanguine

Forum Donor
Nice to read of someone knowing lunashops. Found their page yesterday and was wondering about the prices. And about the fact they describe themselves as ebay powerseller but at least I can't find them there. And at the shop no AWGs or lengths are mentioned?
Any recommendation for a cable type? Not speaking of sound, but flexibility and microphonics... I am pretty happy with the new type of DCA Standard cable, but would like a balanced one.

The ones I linked or something similar have always been my favorite. Super thin and quite pliable. My ears have never been able to hear a difference even with the super thin wires. I've always thought they would be a good example for Amir to test. Logically many folks would think they can't be good because we've been conditioned to believe the only thicker oxygen free cable must sound good.

I've also purchased braided cabling for my own builds or pre-terminated braiding cabling. It looks great but these thin cable are so much more functional for me.

My first order from lunashops was in 2015 for a similar cable but Sennheiser HD650 termination. Still have it and it's going strong. And if I destroy one I don't care because it's cheap.

I especially like this with the Aeon Flow2 because they are designed to be portable with the new hinge design. Until you try to pack that huge beefy cable into the carrying case. The stock cable is by no means bad but not optimal for portability. Of course the sensitivity lessens it's portability as well.

highpurityusbcable

I can't say anything about DCA type cables but I bought 2 Hifiman coaxial cables and 2 IEM cables from their aliexpress store. Build quality is solid, braiding is good and soft. Had a clumsy pulling incident with headphones recently but nothing got torn.

Top Bottom