• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dali opticon mk2

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hey hello
These speakers looks interesting and well priced
But i can't find measurements or something like that... dali said to me when i asked for distortion measurements
''
The impedance curve I have send you is all I can give you.
''
I prefer to see the measurements before speak about the speakers

thank you.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Which exact model of the series are you interested at?

Here are few German reviews with measurements:
https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/7156/dali_opticon_6_mk2_stereo-test.pdf
https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/7184/dali_opticon8mk2_test_audio.pdf
https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/7130/dali_opticon2_mk2_audio.pdf

As you can see they measure quite decently and have a slightly u-shaped euphonic voicing.
opticon 6 mk2 for my small room xD
But what about the distortion measurements, etc? i can EQ a little that high's since i like it more smooth but what about the distortion

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which exact model of the series are you interested at?

Here are few German reviews with measurements:
https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/7156/dali_opticon_6_mk2_stereo-test.pdf
https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/7184/dali_opticon8mk2_test_audio.pdf
https://www.dali-speakers.com/media/7130/dali_opticon2_mk2_audio.pdf

As you can see they measure quite decently and have a slightly u-shaped euphonic voicing.

It's worth noting too that Dali is very explicit about the fact that it designs it's speakers to heard with no toe in

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Generally you can see from above measurements that the other Dali models of this series are quite decent regarding distortion in their size classes, like most of current Dali models.
where can i found more distortion test from opticon 6 mk2? seems to be a good speaker...

----------
It's worth noting too that Dali is very explicit about the fact that it designs it's speakers to heard with no toe in
really? i prefer to toe-in the speakers in my room because is more convenient :/, only with toe-in i can separate the speakers at 1.8 meters, if i do not Toe-in i can only separate the speakers for about 1.4m ~

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
where can i found more distortion test from opticon 6 mk2? seems to be a good speaker...

----------

really? i prefer to toe-in the speakers in my room because is more convenient :/, only with toe-in i can separate the speakers at 1.8 meters, if i do not Toe-in i can only separate the speakers for about 1.4m ~

I mean, you can always experiment or EQ if needed, but not only does Dali design its speakers for no toe-in, it specifically tells you not ton toe it in. From the opticon manual:

"All DALI OPTICON speakers are designed to meet our wide dispersion principle, so they should not be angled towards the listening position, but be positioned parallel with the rear wall (see Figure 2). By parallel positioning, the distortion in the main listening area will be lowered and the room integration will be better. The wide dispersion principle also ensures that sound is spread evenly within a large area in the listening room."

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Umm I see
I saw the specs from the opticon 6mk2
The ribbon twetter is at 14000khz, is not too high?
I mean the small driver is practically doing everything

tuga

Major Contributor
opticon 6 mk2 for my small room xD
But what about the distortion measurements, etc? i can EQ a little that high's since i like it more smooth but what about the distortion

Dalis are designed to be listened with little or no toe-in (firing straight into the room) and should be positioned in a long wall setup away from side walls. Otherwise they'll sound "bright" as there'll be too much upper-mid and treble energy reflected towards the listening spot (I see @napilopez already mentioned this).

tuga

Major Contributor
For the typical UK-style small/narrrow room I would definitely choose a speaker which has reasonably flat off-axis horizontal response, unless you intend to treat the early reflection zones on side walls.
Personally I would go a step further and choose narrow directivity (e.g. Kef) but that is a personal call...

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Umm I see
I saw the specs from the opticon 6mk2
The ribbon twetter is at 14000khz, is not too high?
I mean the small driver is practically doing everything
I saw in the page from dali that the ribbon start at 10khz but in the white paper the crossover is at 14000hz, umm

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
For the typical UK-style small/narrrow room I would definitely choose a speaker which has reasonably flat off-axis horizontal response, unless you intend to treat the early reflection zones on side walls.
Personally I would go a step further and choose narrow directivity (e.g. Kef) but that is a personal call...
I have a kef r300 and I think it sound nice with personal eq for make the sound smooth ( no problem to eq the speakers since I listening in my pc all the time)
Sadly the kef R7 is much higher in price
My room is 2.8 x 3.3 meters with a weird form plus my bed xD

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
By parallel positioning, the distortion in the main listening area will be lowered
Oh that's nice, but why it is like that? Is it because higher frequency has narrow dispersion? Then I would assume it is not effective at the lower frequency of woofer and all speakers should have this feature.

Edit: forgot to type some words:facepalm:, made it more clearer now.

Last edited:
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Oh that's nice, but why it is like that? Is it because higher frequency has narrow dispersion? Then I would assume the low frequency of woofer and all speakers are also the same.
And its too much lower? :(
I didnt know that

tuga

Major Contributor
Oh that's nice, but why it is like that? Is it because higher frequency has narrow dispersion? Then I would assume it is not effective at the lower frequency of woofer and all speakers should have this feature.

I think that @napilopez means frequency response distortion.

Below is the horizontal/lateral response family measurements for the Rubicon 8, which is flat at 45º (in red):

woplbIf.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-rubicon-8-loudspeaker-measurements

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think that @napilopez means frequency response distortion.

Below is the horizontal/lateral response family measurements for the Rubicon 8, which is flat at 45º (in red):

woplbIf.jpg

https://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-rubicon-8-loudspeaker-measurements

Yeah, that's what I assume Dali meant. I did read a thing about distortion potentially being directional once, but I doubt that's what Dali meant.

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, I see, so linear distortion............. not audiophile enough for me!:D

Top Bottom