• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC choice for Edifier S3000Pro

nar53

Hi, I bought the Edifiers about 4yrs ago & I love them. I drive currently them from two sources, Apple MBPro via USB & Marantz CD17ki sig via optical. Both these options use their own DACS followed by the built in Edifier DAC. I can't help wondering about any improvement to be achieved with an external DAC. Would it help to have a DAC with analog inputs? Oh I'm confused. Are the Edifiers using the DACS from the digital inputs or their own built in DACS? I'm also thinking of throwing a streamer into the mix so that would be three inputs. I was thinking something like the Topping DL90 or the SMSL SU9. Will I be wasting my money? or should I do it?

Cheers.....

staticV3

Master Contributor
I drive currently them from two sources, Apple MBPro via USB & Marantz CD17ki sig via optical. Both these options use their own DACS followed by the built in Edifier DAC.
In a traditional audio chain (which is what you have), there is only ever one DAC in use. When using digital audio outputs like USB or optical, then the DAC built into your MacBook or your Marantz is not used. Only the one built into the Edifier.

I can't help wondering about any improvement to be achieved with an external DAC.
Likely minimal to none. If you want to improve the sound, get a UMIK-1 and apply proper room correction.

Would it help to have a DAC with analog inputs?
Doesn't exist. A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. All inputs are digital, all outputs are analog.

OP
nar53

nar53

Hi static V3

Thanks for the explanation I was a bit mixed up there. In view of what you've said I'll stick to what I've got but look into adding a streamer.

Cheers..... :)

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Agree with @staticV3

The S3000Pros have built-in DSP which means the analog inputs go through an AD/DA-conversion. So it's best not to worry about external DACs and simply use the digital inputs. If you want to improve the sound, perhaps look into room EQ and/or subwoofers instead.

As far as streamers go have a look at the Wiim Pro.

OP
nar53

nar53

Agree with @staticV3

The S3000Pros have built-in DSP which means the analog inputs go through an AD/DA-conversion. So it's best not to worry about external DACs and simply use the digital inputs. If you want to improve the sound, perhaps look into room EQ and/or subwoofers instead.

As far as streamers go have a look at the Wiim Pro.
I thought about the WiiM Pro but it doesn't have USB input which I need for my MacBook. Sadly the Edifiers don't have SUB out however the Bluesound Node does so that might be a work around.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why do you need a separate streamer and not only use the MacBook? And if you need the 3 sources why would you need to route the MacBook through the streamer? Why not connect the MacBook to the Edifiers via USB in, Marantz via optical and Wiim Pro via coax? I'm a bit confused what your use case is..

OP
nar53

nar53

I see what you mean keep the MAC plugged directly into the Edifiers. I don't actually need a streamer the mac can do it all but there's no remote on the MAC and it's placed around the corner from my listening position. It's no big deal as it's been like this for a few years now. I suppose there's also a bit of GAS going on too!

Top Bottom