• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What DAC to try in effort to see if a separate DAC improves music sound vs my Anthem STR preamp?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Can anyone provide any more recommendations to consider?
Save the money for better speakers, room treatment, expansion into multich, or new CD, DVD, BluRays.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
In fact a far more worthwhile experiment - and cost free - would be to try out the room correction your kit already provides for you. This you should be able to hear, and the improvement should be dramatic.

OP
MarcT

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just to reinforce the message: invest your time in implementing changes that produce clear audible differences: room correction, speaker positioning, etc.
Thanks. Or maybe entirely new speakers, as it's never good to just leave well enough alone.:cool:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Or maybe entirely new speakers, as it's never good to just leave well enough alone.:cool:
Speakers is what definitely makes the bigger difference. :) However, don't think a good speaker can overcome everything, you still need to go hand in hand with the acoustics of your room, and this is were room correction is meant to help. But DACs... nah.. that is chasing ghosts.

Chazz6

DACs generally use a filter that sharpens/does not sharpen and is so-called slow/no-slow. The RME ADI FS-2 DAC, like others, offers all four possibilities (and a nearly no-filter option, NOC). I hear some differences, but they are small.

The RME and some other DACs also have DSP circuitry, which offers some equalizing. In the case of the RME, five separate frequence bands of adjustments. These can make a big difference. I don't use equalization for room correction (curtains, sound panels, and speaker placement instead). The EQ is great for improving your-speakers-in-your-room. I found what I like by trial and error listening.

Top Bottom