• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Current best value general USB DAC/AMP dongle?

SimonARG

I bought a TempoTec Sonata HD PRO like a year ago because it got recommended a lot to me as the best performance per dollar USB DAC/AMP dongle. Got it at $40 and it works perfectly, I get both plenty of volume and quietness when I want either in my Shure SRH-440s, my HD560s and my Blessings 2s. I also appreciate the on-board volume control, driverless on-the-go usage on Windows 10, and full support of up to 32-bit 384khz & DSD256 (though I never use either, it feels like a sign of quality). Sadly the crappy micro-USB to USB Type-C cable it comes with is dying, and in my country a replacement cable is so expensive that I might as well get a whole new dongle (if it's worth the upgrade). These are my loose requirements:

Price up to ~$75, hopefully more like $40-$50.
Fair, transparent performance across at least my 3 audio drivers, and hopefully wider.
No balanced output (useless to me and adds price, but I wouldn't mind it if it's a better dongle).
On-board volume controls (pretty much required).
Sturdy build quality, including the cables if there are any.
On-the-go installation on Windows 10.

This is assuming it's worth upgrading from my Sonata HD PRO instead of just getting the replacement cable, which might not even be the case, YOU TELL ME M80. The power circuit on the Sonata HD PRO is awesome, but I know there are better DAC chips than its ES9270. However I've also read that the chip tells you nothing about performance, and it's all implementation, so again, u tell me.

nsfgp

Do you have any regular micro-USB to USB-A cable + USB-C OTG adaptor(female USB-A to USB-C Male that came with many cellphone)? Might work?
(I don't have your dongle FYI so cannot confirm this but may worth a try).

OP
S

SimonARG

Do you have any regular micro-USB to USB-A cable + USB-C OTG adaptor(female USB-A to USB-C Male that came with many cellphone). Might work?
I have a micro-USB to USB-A and it's OTG which should work, but that's my phone's cable, it's crap and it's like a meter long. But again, I've already looked at replacement cables and adapters, and decent ones are so expensive where I live (no Amazon basics available, all imported + high taxes) that I might as well upgrade the whole dongle if it's worth it.

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can't get a cheap cable on AliExpress I really like the new Sound blaster X1. The voltage goes up to 2.4v depending on ohm detection and works with windows, Android, and Linux mint with no drivers. I just wouldn't recommend it for low ohm planars because there's no override to set the gain or voltage. It works great as a DAC into an amp with 3.5mm to rca cables though. Don't need the software, but you can set it up and it remembers the settings.

staticV3

Master Contributor
On-board volume controls (pretty much required)
Most dongles have UAC2 hardware volume control, so volume control that happens on the DAC chip, but is controlled via USB commands from your host device.
Does this qualify as On-board volume control for you, or do you mean dedicated volume up/down buttons on the dongle itself?

OP
S

SimonARG

Most dongles have UAC2 hardware volume control, so volume control that happens on the DAC chip, but is controlled via USB commands from your host device.
Does this qualify as On-board volume control for you, or do you mean dedicated volume up/down buttons on the dongle itself?
I mean dedicated volume up/down on the dongle.
If you can't get a cheap cable on AliExpress I really like the new Sound blaster X1. The voltage goes up to 2.4v depending on ohm detection and works with windows, Android, and Linux mint with no drivers. I just wouldn't recommend it for low ohm planars because there's no override to set the gain or voltage. It works great as a DAC into an amp with 3.5mm to rca cables though. Don't need the software, but you can set it up and it remembers the settings.
Seems interesting, I'm not planning on getting planars any time soon, so I'll read some reviews and consider it, thanks!

Freezak

You can actually get a replacement cable, sure not every micro usb fits but i've heard reports of people using amazonbasics microusb cable that fits sonata well.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, just get a good quality cable from AliExpress like ugreen and keep the dongle, it is very good indeed.

MCH

Major Contributor
I have a creative xfi amp that that also has a female USB socket, and finding a cable that works besides the one 10cm long that came with it was not an easy task. Eventually I found these two, one terminated in micro USB and the second in USB C. Unfortunately both are Amazon basics and OP says he has no access to that:
AmazonBasics - Connection cable, USB Type C to Micro USB Type B, USB 2.0, 0.9 m, black https://amzn.eu/d/6HKfNIi
Amazon Basics USB-C 2.0 to USB-C Cable (USB-IF Certified) - 6ft (1.83m) - Black https://amzn.eu/d/4kkGpbe

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning

stringham

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Just came across this thread - did you end up liking the Whizzer DA1? I wouldn't mind picking up a dongle with volume buttons, but only if it works consistently (like my Meizu hi-fi pro).

JLGF1

I've been using the $15 Anker (Amazon) in the car. It seems to do the job ok, but I haven't looked into any of the HW specs.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
did you end up liking the Whizzer DA1?
in the end I gave mine away as it carried this subjective thing called the "sabre glare". The Ikko itm02 sounded better for me but I also gave that one away since I own 3 meizu pros and intend to keep using them :)

ad_fletch

Forum Donor
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to get an Apple dongle to tide me over (for PC use not Android phone).

Deckard01

Do you know if the IFI Go Link can b connected to external amplifier? Is capable to drive HD600?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Do you know if the IFI Go Link can b connected to external amplifier? Is capable to drive HD600?
All 3.5mm dongles can be connected to external amplifiers. Without exception.

The GO link is capable of driving the HD600 to 110dB SPL Peak.
That's very loud, eight times as loud as my usual listening volume.

Deckard01

All 3.5mm dongles can be connected to external amplifiers. Without exception.

The GO link is capable of driving the HD600 to 110dB SPL Peak.
That's very loud, eight times as loud as my usual listening volume.
Thank you Static so as it is capable of driving correct the HD600 I think will be ok.

And cables like that can be connected to my amplifier right?

or

Do you think Go Link can drive and my AKG K701 or does it need something more powerful.

I have read that for K701 needs something more powerful like QUESTYLE M15, gO Bar, iBasso, KA5, RU6, RU7, btr7.
But in this price category there are so much dongles that I really can not find out which one is better. If anybody knows it would be grateful to know! Is everything so marketing confusing that you can not decide. And I really not sure if there is really an audible difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom