• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crosstalk measurement - Which record is best?

stereoplay

I want to start a new thread to discuss my findings and share some thoughts about crosstalk with you. There are some threads here dealing with crosstalk from time to time, but then the topic drifts away.

For my measurements I used a linear tracker from Uher, the PS936. So I had not to deal with tracking errors or antiskating. Cueing is fast and precise and measurements respectively.

I used a AT-12XE and took some records with dedicated cross talk signals (1KHz). Azimuth was not adjusted and was done by bare eye.

1680858625375.png

The first four columns are relative levels, but as I only want to see the difference it doesn`t matter. Tacet and Ultimate Analogue have an imbalance of levels and they deliver most differences in crosstalk (I sorted the table accordingly).
Overall crosstalk difference over all records is 2.5dB. Some records are outliers (Tacet, Ultimate, VEB).

So I decided to go deeper in the Tacet, Mérőlemez, Ultimate Analogue and the VEB. Reference was the Mérőlemez as this has best level matching and crosstalk. I first optimized the azimuth with the Mérőlemez and noted the phase shift also:

1680859634477.png

and with other pickups I had ready to hand:

1680859750163.png

So my first conclusions are:
  • Whatever phaseshift is telling me, the Tacet steps out of line a little bit
  • Tacet an Ultimate are a little bit off with their levels
  • Crosstalk level difference is high on the Tacet compared to the other records
In my view the Mérőlemez is best for measuring and adjusting crosstalk.

morillon

Major Contributor
you just miss the denon which on these 1k ref will be well placed .. (or see its reissue rti, but rare )
(as I had said better than 41db lr or rl on the specific test crosstalk hungaroton and 155lc)
ps
look traduction of "Mérőlemez" from hungarian ;-) not a name...

(where I don't really agree is that it seems to me that often the 1k ref of many discs are not presented for use in crosstalk...
just like sweeps of fr...
divert, does not always work
;-) )

Last edited:
Top Bottom