• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cobalt Blue Dragonfly DAC by Audioquest/anyone tried it?

Lounge Lizard

B"H Hi, I'm thinking of buying the Cobalt Blue Dragonfly DAC both for my smartphone but especially for my headphones at home. Has anyone tried these? Are they worth $299? Thank You

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I’ve only tried the Lightning version, and it performed terrifically. I think Amir tested the Android version.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Other one I use regularly is the CEntrance DACportable.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you saying that an apple dongle will do the trick? But I'm on android and need a DAC for Samsung smartphone/and home headphones Sennheiser 195
The Apple dongle unfortunately is not very compatible on Android. On my Samsung S8+ for example, it has very low volume and I hear the same complaint from others.

Your headphones are wireless, no? If so, they have their own amplifier so all you need is a DAC, not a DAC+headphone amplifier which these devices are.

OP
Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

The Apple dongle unfortunately is not very compatible on Android. On my Samsung S8+ for example, it has very low volume and I hear the same complaint from others.

Your headphones are wireless, no? If so, they have their own amplifier so all you need is a DAC, not a DAC+headphone amplifier which these devices are.
Thank You Amir

Hemi-Demon

The ibasso DC01 is a excellent, cheap device. Although its 2.5mm, only for now. The 3.5mm version hasn't been released yet

OP
Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard

ב"ה Amir, your input is priceless! Thanks

Cortes

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More words of wisdom of Darko

The AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt (US$299) sounds far better than the average smartphone’s 3.5mm output

https://darko.audio/2019/11/more-thoughts-on-a-beginners-guide-to-dacs/

notice how with great skill he says 'than the average'...

Another piece
A DAC loaded with tubes might lend the overall sound more ease or a fuller, fatter tonality

again 'might'.... and later introduces all the commercial propaganda.
Absolutely everything sounds far better than the average for Darko...

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Darko doesn't even have the entertainment value that makes some reviewers good fun to read or listen to.

Top Bottom