• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D integrated amp

carlmart

I don't know what has happened with the common combination of power amplifier with input selectors? Have they vanished?
I need a small, affordable Class D power amp, that I can select if I feed from my PC or my laptop on my desk.
Is there a solution you might suggest that comes in the same box?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just that nowadays people own more than one digital sources, and use a DAC to switch between them, adjust volume, and send it to a dedicated poweramp.

But if you insist on having analog inputs and volume knob on the amp, there are some integrated class D amps out there. What is your budget?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got this for my son he loves it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't seen any DACs with selectable inputs, like USB. Which one do you know?

Budget not more than $100. There's this one, that now it's not that mentioned, but shipping is expensive.
For example on the desktop you could use an USB to SPDIF converter (or if the desktop has SPDIF coax or optical Toslink use it) into the DAC, and the laptop into the USB input of the DAC, and switch between them and control volume on the DAC.

Last edited:

ronniebear

I don't know what has happened with the common combination of power amplifier with input selectors? Have they vanished?
I need a small, affordable Class D power amp, that I can select if I feed from my PC or my laptop on my desk.
Is there a solution you might suggest that comes in the same box?
Terminology wise, I think you are referring to an Integrated Amplifier, which combines a power amplifier with a control amplifier ("preamplifier"). You're looking for a contemporary version of an Integrated Amplifier. Integrated Amplifiers typically had multiple inputs and outputs. RCA inputs would include a phono preamp stage, CD input, tape input and aux input. There would be an RCA output to feed an external recording device (cassette, open reel, DAT, MiniDisc or CD recorder). There might be an output to feed a subwoofer. There would be one, or two, sets of speaker connection jacks.

Some Class D amps I've seen are functionally "in-between" a dedicated power amp and an Integrated Amplifier, in that SOME have tone controls or have multiple input types (RCA jack, 1/8" jack etc.) but not any ability to switch between distinct source inputs. The user lacks the ability to have multiple sources connected, and being able to readily select between sources without disconnecting and reconnecting source cables (causing wear-and-tear on the input jacks over time).

Causing further confusion is that over the past decade, the industry's definition of "preamplifier" seems to have changed from control amplifier to either an "RIAA magnetic phono preamplifier" or a "vacuum tube sound enhancer", neither of which increases the ability to use and switch between multiple sources.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For 200usd this would be my choice.

OP
C

carlmart

I already have a Topping D50 DAC and I never listen to headphones at home. Only when I'm watching TV at night and when I travel. This one is to be used for my computer's audio, which is now handled by an old Sony home amp.

OP
C

carlmart

Last edited:
OP
C

carlmart

And finally an Aiyima amp tested here in ASR, and recommended:

I has no remote control, but don't need one really on my setup.

The good thing tough it's that the amp chip is the TPA 3255, which I think it's better sounding than the one on the amp above.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, power amp with input selectors would be very unusual unless you mean integrated amp. How many and what particular inputs do you need?

OP
C

carlmart

Yep, power amp with input selectors would be very unusual unless you mean integrated amp. How many and what particular inputs do you need?
Apparently what I want is no longer called "integrated amp". For this application I only need two RCA line inputs, if possible.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
For simple setups, I use a $10 AV switch box with four RCA inputs, one output as a budget solution where phono is not in the mix. For a classier look with only two inputs and VC, the Schiit Sys could be used. (I keep hoping that they will uptick the Saga S and add an optional phono module. I'd buy one.)

I have used my reconditioned 80s Nikko Beta and NAD 1020 preamps in combination with the Aiyima A07 occasionally if I need to have phono input as well as line sources.

I do think because of the drive to use all-digital sources, the current lower cost amp offerings don't focus on full preamp capabilities as in days of yore. It would be a limited user market for sure.

Cost of fully reworking a vintage preamp of course varies and is not for everyone, but it is a viable option - both of mine sound quite good. I lust after the Apt Holman and Nakamichi CA-7 (Nelson Pass-designed) preamps, but have not found those at a good price in the wild.

OP
C

carlmart

For simple setups, I use a $10 AV switch box with four RCA inputs, one output as a budget solution where phono is not in the mix. For a classier look with only two inputs and VC, the Schiit Sys could be used. (I keep hoping that they will uptick the Saga S and add an optional phono module. I'd buy one.)

I have used my reconditioned 80s Nikko Beta and NAD 1020 preamps in combination with the Aiyima A07 occasionally if I need to have phono input as well as line sources.

I do think because of the drive to use all-digital sources, the current lower cost amp offerings don't focus on full preamp capabilities as in days of yore. It would be a limited user market for sure.

Cost of fully reworking a vintage preamp of course varies and is not for everyone, but it is a viable option - both of mine sound quite good. I lust after the Apt Holman and Nakamichi CA-7 (Nelson Pass-designed) preamps, but have not found those at a good price in the wild.
I have the ability and knowledge to rework on a vintage amp, but for that I would have to find one. I live in Brazil, so such things are impossible to find.
But if possible tell me more about the $10 AV 4 x switch you use. Where did you get it? The ones I've seen on AE cost as much as the power amp.

DTTOM37

If you look at te FIIO K7, it has a digital input select button and would work as a pre for you amp. You could pair it with a FOSI AUDIO V3 and have a balanced Dac with selectable USB/TOSLINK/SPDIF inputs, Headphone Amp, one analog line in, and a capable Amplifier for less than 350 $ ...

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have the ability and knowledge to rework on a vintage amp, but for that I would have to find one. I live in Brazil, so such things are impossible to find.
But if possible tell me more about the $10 AV 4 x switch you use. Where did you get it? The ones I've seen on AE cost as much as the power amp.
Here's an Amazon link to the kind of switcher I use. This same model is sold under different trade names, but it's all the same thing...they make them up to 8 different inputs, I believe. Not as nice as the Schiit Sys but it gets the job done...

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Swit...02194&sprefix=av+power+switch,aps,121&sr=8-21

ampguy

Apparently what I want is no longer called "integrated amp". For this application I only need two RCA line inputs, if possible.
The SMSL A300 has 2 pairs of RCA inputs, goes on a sale a few times a year at $170 or so. I'm using that in a room with a turntable, and a roon streamer. Also, don't overlook the useful $49 or so Schiit SYS, a simple passive 2 to 1 RCA splitter with solid switch button, and attenuator.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
AL200 would do the job.

sadly the merus infineon line hasnt been reviewed that often

Top Bottom