• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class AB amps (Cambridge/Yamaha) vs Class D (Loxjie A30, SMSL, etc)

NewbieAudiophileExpert

The class Ds offer way, wayy more value for money, but are they of the same quality as a class AB Yamaha A-S501, for instance?

Currently have a cambridge Audio Azur 550a - so wondering if a Loxjie A30 would be a 'step up'?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The class Ds offer way, wayy more value for money, but are they of the same quality as a class AB Yamaha A-S501, for instance?

Currently have a cambridge Audio Azur 550a - so wondering if a Loxjie A30 would be a 'step up'?
I personally think only time will tell about Class D. Based on experience an AS501 should be running great 20 years from now. My point is I’m not sure the $500 amp you mention is in any way not a great value. The A30, I guess we will see in 20 years.

Graham849

Forum Donor
I own SMSL AO200 and Azur 650a. I have engaged with chatGPT who finally presents this precis:

>>>The Aoshida AO200 and Cambridge Audio Azur 650A are both stereo amplifiers, but they have some differences in their features, specifications, and design. Here are some of the key differences between the two:

1. Power output: The Cambridge Audio Azur 650A has a higher power output than the Aoshida AO200, delivering up to 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms, compared to the AO200's 50 watts per channel into 8 ohms.
  2. Inputs and outputs: Both amplifiers have a range of inputs and outputs, but the Cambridge Audio Azur 650A has a built-in phono preamp, making it compatible with turntables without the need for a separate preamp. The Azur 650A also has a headphone output, which the AO200 does not.
  3. Design: The Cambridge Audio Azur 650A has a sleek and modern design with a brushed metal finish, while the Aoshida AO200 has a more traditional-looking design with a simpler front panel layout.
  4. Price: The Cambridge Audio Azur 650A is generally more expensive than the Aoshida AO200, reflecting its higher power output and additional features.
Overall, both amplifiers offer high-quality sound and a range of useful features, but the choice between them may depend on your specific needs and preferences, such as whether you require a built-in phono preamp or a headphone output, or whether you prioritize power output or design aesthetics.<<<

Personally I find that the Azur 650a is more punchy , whilst the AO200 is more laid back, even with its built in SDB EQ sound. I enjoy the Azur650a playing Spotify, whereas I prefer the AO200 to play my own collection via JRiver. Best of luck!

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yes ClassD provides great value in the here and now... but I don't hear of anyone doing repairs on class D amps - either entire boards are replaced, or the whole amp is replaced - but no one is doing component (as in cap / resistor / transistor / chips etc...) level repairs.

This makes them fine during their "service lifetime", while they are supported by the manufacturer, but beyond that, I think most of them are non maintainable over the long term.

Some (not all!) Class AB amps have an elegant simplicity to their design, this then results in their being easily repaired / refurbished... my 1980's Quad 606 has had a refurb about 15 years ago... and is ready for the next 30 year stint....

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hybrid class D offer higher output and better efficiency. If you want quality components in it with long lasting support and warranty then it's not cheaper than good A-B class one at all. ATI hypex series for example. It will have a little better SINAD @ 1 KHz than good AB class one but then again AB class one will be cleener in high frequencies.
All of those class D one's we usually argue about are bare bone solo amplifiers only while there is plenty of moderate price integrated AB class quality made one's that perform good with loads of useful futures. Yamaha mid A-S and R-N range for example.
It's entirely up to you what you chose.

Top Bottom