• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ciúnas Audio ISO DAC Teardown and Failed Review

Labjr

Major Contributor
This is very bitter posting :confused: - but probably very valuable as well.
Sometimes the truth isn't pretty but will probably save some sucker from getting taken by this clown. His actions seem very deliberate, so it deserved a deliberate response. Thus it will be interpreted the way it should be. Being nice about it would leave an opening for someone to defend it. And it's not like this is a one-off mistake and the manufacturer apologized. He's peddling junk. There is no excuse.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
However what we have here in terms of measurements is none. This is a second hand unit of unkown history and handling which is not working. That's the weakness of examining second hand units - when they are broken, who knows what could have happened? any number of reasons. Now if a brand new unit turns up broken that can speak to quality of manufacture etc. Much more useful imo. It would be nice to obtain a brand new unit from the manufacturer to actually see how it performs.
Manufacturer is not likely to want to do that. After all, he has never published a single picture of what is inside these units in the past. Why would he volunteer to have it done by me now?

He is also extremely active online and in forums. Chance of not seeing my teardown is exceptionally small. He would have wanted nothing better than to correct me with his own pictures. But he has not.

Importantly, another member post pictures of his unit (slightly different model) and the poor DIY style construction is apparent in both samples.

As to when and how it broke, that information I do have and would have loved to discuss it. But the owner didn't want me so I did not.

Anyway, another unit has been shipped to me from another owner and I will review, measure and perform a teardown of it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Manufacturer is not likely to want to do that. After all, he has never published a single picture of what is inside these units in the past. Why would he volunteer to have it done by me now?

He is also extremely active online and in forums. Chance of not seeing my teardown is exceptionally small. He would have wanted nothing better than to correct me with his own pictures. But he has not.

Importantly, another member post pictures of his unit (slightly different model) and the poor DIY style construction is apparent in both samples.

As to when and how it broke, that information I do have and would have loved to discuss it. But the owner didn't want me so I did not.

Anyway, another unit has been shipped to me from another owner and I will review, measure and perform a teardown of it.

JK is aware of this thread. The lack of a response probably tells you the unit you have is the norm. Any maker who saw a unit that was altered and getting him bad PR would immediately want it known the unit was NOT representative.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JK is aware of this thread.

Let me guess, he is busy on multiple forums declaring that he is a Proper Gear Designer, unlike Amir, and this forum is full of people who can't trust their ears, and it is a deliberate smear campaign?

Timola

Forum Donor
Amir, this is great news. You have my full attention. Can't wait.

If possible, would you please take a look from a safety perspective. Being battery powered and contained in a solid chassis, I'm hoping its low risk. I guess its not sealed so air could easily flow in via the rear ports if a short developed or there were any hot spots.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, the owner has asked me to review the construction in detail and I will do that. I will also post detailed pictures so that others can contribute as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I should add that it is a different model than this one. So the idea is to get a sense of how common his methods are across products.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I skipped these pics. The PCB on the right, vertical position on the side of the case, is a buck converter; I use it too on my DIY amp to indeed power the led of the power switch/button.

In this case it looks like the LED is powered by the 3.3v from the AMANERO. I sure hope it's a battery charger on the right... but I agree with you that it looks suspiciously much like a buck converter. That would mean that as long as the power supply is plugged in, the battery is constantly charged with a fixed voltage. No wonder those solder joints are oxidized to hell.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I’d love to see exactly what is hiding in that small box, but John assures me that should I try to open it, I will certainly damage the unit and the warranty will be immediately voided.

This quote is from another, older review of a Ciunas DAC. In correlation with this thread, I find it amusing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This quote is from another, older review of a Ciunas DAC. In correlation with this thread, I find it amusing.
Amusing indeed:

1572817465544.png

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With all the many impeccably manufactured DACs you can buy from reputable companies at a whole range of price points, not to mention the generally good performance of on-board DACs (at least in audible terms) just why would anyone buy this tat? I'm struggling to think of a reason to walk past Topping, SMSL, Chord, RME, TEAC, Behringer, Apogee, JDS Labs Matrix and god knows how many other companies able to make a competent DAC made to high standards to get this, hell even the PS stuff is at least tidily manufactured whatever other faults it has. Bonkers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
With all the many impeccably manufactured DACs you can buy from reputable companies at a whole range of price points, not to mention the generally good performance of on-board DACs (at least in audible terms) just why would anyone buy this tat?
Both owners say it sounds better to them.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

zermak

In this case it looks like the LED is powered by the 3.3v from the AMANERO. I sure hope it's a battery charger on the right... but I agree with you that it looks suspiciously much like a buck converter. That would mean that as long as the power supply is plugged in, the battery is constantly charged with a fixed voltage. No wonder those solder joints are oxidized to hell.
You're right ahah I did't pay any attentions to the cabling. It surely is a buck converter; it is exactly like the one I use (I have like 10 of them cause the were hella cheap from China) and you are right it is connected from the power jack to the batteries... You can buy a proper PCB for charging lithium (or any kind) batteries at almost the same price of that buck converter.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right ahah I did't pay any attentions to the cabling. It surely is a buck converter; it is exactly like the one I use (I have like 10 of them cause the were hella cheap from China) and you are right it is connected from the power jack to the batteries... You can buy a proper PCB for charging lithium (or any kind) batteries at almost the same price of that buck converter.
But you would have to know why a proper charging board for lithium is better than a fixed charging voltage to bother even if cost is the same. I think this design decision is a portal into the designer's thinking.

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'd be shocked if test results are positive. And you may as well shut down this forum because common sense and sound engineering will be thrown out the window!

Does anyone believe each unit is factory tested using an Audio Precision anayzer? I'd be surprised if he listens to each one to be sure it works.

Top Bottom