• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ciúnas Audio ISO DAC Teardown and Failed Review

Timola

Forum Donor
This quote is from another, older review of a Ciunas DAC. In correlation with this thread, I find it amusing.

I think mine is a newer model as it does have branding on the case (same as the first 'teardown' sample photographed by Amir) and the USB hub at the back, which I don't use.

The review is very positive and chimes with my experience of it. This may have been the first model.

The latest model released uses super-capacitors for power and JK says this gives the upper frequencies a little more sparkle and dynamics. If Amir get's this version, I would suggest caution when opening the case, those capacitors are supposed to kick ass.

Labjr

Major Contributor
The latest model released uses super-capacitors for power and JK says this gives the upper frequencies a little more sparkle and dynamics. If Amir get's this version, I would suggest caution when opening the case, those capacitors are supposed to kick ass.

I'm sure he's shaking in his boots. I'll be waiting for the review on the model with super-duper-capacitors!

About 25 years ago I had a telephone conversation with Synergistic Research owner Ted Denney. He started telling me about some occult universal energy electromagnetic stuff, I swear he was making it up as he spoke. I had to seek a cult deprogramming expert when I got off the phone.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
For what it's worth, l recently tested his ISODAC Supercap, l found the sound far superior to my RME Adi-2, l can't profess the technical reasons why, accept to say the ability to hear details clearer.

Putting my RME ADI-2 Pro up in the for sale section now for sure.

Anyone PM me if you want.

No lowballers. Local pickup only.

kthxbai

Last edited:

Timola

Forum Donor
I'm sure he's shaking in his boots. I'll be waiting for the review on the model with super-duper-capacitors!

About 25 years ago I had a telephone conversation with Synergistic Research owner Ted Denney. He started telling me about some occult universal energy electromagnetic stuff, I swear he was making it up as he spoke. I had to seek a cult deprogramming expert when I got off the phone.

:):)....do you still have that number, I may need it? LOL.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Does he ship these by airmail? o_O

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If Amir get's this version, I would suggest caution when opening the case, those capacitors are supposed to kick ass.
I built a 300 amp-hour LifePO4 (Lithium) system for our RV. It is able to provide up to 300 amps of current continuously. Instantaneous current is 1,200 amps if you short them out! Building those cells, wiring everything, required so much careful work. The whole thing sits under my bed in RV so you can tell I have confidence in it. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I built a 300 amp-hour LifePO4 (Lithium) system for our RV. It is able to provide up to 300 amps of current continuously. Instantaneous current is 1,200 amps if you short them out! Building those cells, wiring everything, required so much careful work. The whole thing sits under my bed in RV so you can tell I have confidence in it.

Amir's RV companion: "Amir, can you smell something?"
Amir:"Yeah baby- that's the smell of desire"
Amir's RV companion: "No seriously, something is on fire down here"
Amir: "That's what all the girls say, come here girl!"
Amir's RV companion: "OMG!, the mattress is smoking!"
Amir: "Sheeeeet!"

1572836062444.png

:)

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I built a 300 amp-hour LifePO4 (Lithium) system for our RV. It is able to provide up to 300 amps of current continuously. Instantaneous current is 1,200 amps if you short them out! Building those cells, wiring everything, required so much careful work. The whole thing sits under my bed in RV so you can tell I have confidence in it. :)
Damn i should of not put this off , time to call the PPS ( pensioner protection services) .

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That would go really well with the AC inverter John! Water & Electricity.....

Yes but I figured if the Li packs were on fire, the inverter will be dead/shutdown anyway. Apparently you need lots of water to put out Li pack fires, no dry powder or C02. I was reading about it just the other day in relation to Li cell fires on airplanes and what they do to put them out. Interesting stuff.

I think mine is a newer model as it does have branding on the case (same as the first 'teardown' sample photographed by Amir) and the USB hub at the back, which I don't use.

The review is very positive and chimes with my experience of it. This may have been the first model.

Explains why there arent many negative reviews for his stuff, he has got em RIGGED TO EXPLODE as soon as the case is opened! . "Not hearing any improvements over my phone's dac...lets see whats going on in here... BOOOOOOOOM!"

That is certainly one way to prevent your work from being critiqued!

I am worried for all the delivery people who have to transport these things, they aint gettin paid enough for it! When I ship things at the post office they ask me if there is any dangerous goods in it, next time I am gonna say its got something made by JKENY in it and watch as the panic sets in.

Now you have a new donation blurb Amir, gotta raise money for one of those Explosive Ordnance Disposal suits ,tearing down DACs is a dangerous game!

(I am trolling and this whole post is a joke BTW! figured it was obvious but this is the internet and I am sure at least one person will think I am serious :) )

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is so depressing.
It seems individuals who showed no aptitude for a subject at school, did not spend any time studying it full time or working in it for years still seem to feel their view of the subject is good simply by finding one other person with the same view - easy on the internet, even with the most goofy views.
I bought a book about "The Death of Expertise" which I have just started, hoping to get an insight, but I see no end to this trend.
It means despite humans having a huge amount of accumulated knowledge, authenticated by solid achievements like nuclear power, walking on the moon etc., we continue to collectively behave like a bunch of ignoramuses.
:(

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole sorry state of affairs was summed up for me a few years ago. Some lunatic peddler of alternative medicines was being pushed to substantiate the outrageous claims for the snake oil she was pushing and came out with this gem "it's like electricity, no one knows how it works, it just does". I thought, yes, that's where we've ended up.

Top Bottom