• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.0%

• Total voters

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will that show it sounds better? Go ahead and link that. I get you like your Chord products, but if you're going to claim it sounds 'nothing like' the Q5k, maybe show up with more than unsupported claims.
Depends on your headphones!
Q5K is not as powerful, has more distortion and noise.
I get it that you don't like Chord DACs, but you can't argue they are not superb, since Amir has measured them.
I like them because of that.
Why do you dislike them?
And please keep your reasoning to performance only. The cost or Rob Watts issues, I am not interested.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Depends on your headphones!
Q5K is not as powerful, has more distortion and noise.
I get it that you don't like Chord DACs, but you can't argue they are not superb, since Amir has measured them.
I like them because of that.
Why do you dislike them?
And please keep your reasoning to performance only. The cost or Rob Watts issues, I am not interested.

So, when used outside of it's happy operating range with particularly hungry headphones. Ok. Is that all you meant? Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like you were just claiming it sounds better no matter what.

Where have I said anything negative about Chord products? I agree they make competent stuff for the most part. No question. They also capitalize on ignorance to a degree I find distasteful, and the proprietor makes some particularly rapid-eye-blink inducing claims about what is audible, but that doesn't mean their products are trash.

I'm simply asking you to support your claim about how it is just generally audibly superior.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, when used outside of it's happy operating range with particularly hungry headphones. Ok. Is that all you meant? Maybe I misunderstood, but it seemed like you were just claiming it sounds better no matter what.

Where have I said anything negative about Chord products? I agree they make competent stuff for the most part. No question. They also capitalize on ignorance to a degree I find distasteful, and the proprietor makes some particularly rapid-eye-blink inducing claims about what is audible, but that doesn't mean their products are trash.

I'm simply asking you to support your claim about how it is just generally audibly superior.
Uh huh!

brandall10

A $100 android phone with a $3 media player may have 20, so what?

It refutes the notion that there's some odd computational load that a much larger $600 let alone a $1500 desktop device can't achieve.

What Mojo2 does overall, including its tone controls, is in a different league to Q5K.

It's 4 band graphic EQ. It's not in the same universe. There's no objective measure that one could hang their hat on for this statement to be true.

And I say this as someone who used the original mojo for a good 5-6 years or so. There are some nice improvements on the gen 2, but this feature is barely useful and to argue otherwise is pretty odd given the forum we're on.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It refutes the notion that there's some odd computational load that a much larger $600 let alone a $1500 desktop device can't achieve.

It's 4 band graphic EQ. It's not in the same universe. There's no objective measure that one could hang their hat on for this statement to be true.

And I say this as someone who used the original mojo for a good 5-6 years or so. There are some nice improvements on the gen 2, but this feature is barely useful and to argue otherwise is pretty odd given the forum we're on.
I don't want to do a back and forth any longer.
Just two points:
- I am with you, that the tone controls are of limited use.
- Mojo2 does not have graphic PEQ! just simple tone controls.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Steep digital filtering like Chord do will demand more processing power

I dont think you will see Rob Watts change his WTA filter

He already stated Mojo2 is using nearly all the FPGA

So he needs to find a bigger FPGA that doesn't consume more power

Its not as simple as you put it

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Steep digital filtering like Chord do will demand more processing power
I dont think you will see Rob Watts change his WTA filter
He already stated Mojo2 is using nearly all the FPGA
So he needs to find a bigger FPGA that doesn't consume more power
I think the issue is elsewhere. WTA and all aside.
On Mojo2, the tone controls are implemented after 16fs upscale (AFAIK), so tone controls run at much higher frequencies & at 104 bits (famous 301db ??). It is claimed this way, the coefficients are implemented better. A lesser known fact is that there is a 3bit overload built in. So even if you apply 9dB lift to both bass and lower mid-controls, it will not overload. What happens is that Mojo2 would reach its max current on a lower volume control click.
A simple software PEQ runs happily on a small processor, but 104bits at 16fs, would require much more DSP processing.
Chord could do it, because there was spare DSP power in their exiting chip. They also increased TAP length, added Desktop-mode and a simulated low-gain volume control facility.
But of course it can be argued that all the shebang is not really doing anything, and a simple PEQ would be just as transparent. But since there are no common measurements available to confirm to refute, one would not be able to prove it either way.
I suppose a proper blind test, using enough subjects, could provide subjective evidence either way.
Anyways, at UK price of £395, it is one hell of a device.

Last edited:

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you like it then mostly that's what matters. Mojo2 is transparent as measured here. There are cheaper and more expensive DACs that measure better or worse. The buyer makes the choice. Your polemic has no solution, as you both have your firm position.

I just bought on eBay for $155 an iFi micro IDSD Black Label which is a bit long in the tooth but for its time measured well and its only EQ is a bass boost and 3D+ (whatever that is). It arrives today and I will see how it performs for my ears. Seemed like a good price, and my son is living and working at home for a while so I cannot crank up my stereo, so I going to HP for the first time in my 67 years.

gitesh

I recently brought B & W 706 s2 speakers but I find them bright for listening to streaming music on my stereo setup comprising of harman kardon 3380 stereo receiver , speakers and iPad . They are causing me ear fatigue though rest of the family is fine !!

I use my iPad directly connected to my Harman kardon 3380 stereo receiver to run the speakers . On the iPad I stream Amazon music .

I was thinking about some solution for brightness and I read about mojo 2 . My question is that can I use Mojo 2 equaliser connected to my iPad for reducing the brightness in my stereo set up .

gitesh

If they’re going to offer an EQ feature at these price points, why haven’t they employed more than a four band EQ to date? I use Roon as my PEQ solution so this really isn’t important to me—but I’m able to achieve everything the Mojo does with better numbers on the bench with a Topping DAC/Amp combo or an RME with higher clean headroom and up to date connectors—where is all the money going in these Chord products? Where is the $14,000 in the DAVE?
I recently brought B & W 706 s2 speakers but I find them bright for listening to streaming music on my stereo setup comprising of harman kardon 3380 stereo receiver , speakers and iPad . They are causing me ear fatigue though rest of the family is fine !!

I use my iPad directly connected to my Harman kardon 3380 stereo receiver to run the speakers . On the iPad I stream Amazon music .

I was thinking about some solution for brightness and I read about mojo 2 . My question is that can I use Mojo 2 equaliser connected to my iPad for reducing the brightness in my stereo set up .

Music1969

Major Contributor
My question is that can I use Mojo 2 equaliser connected to my iPad for reducing the brightness in my stereo set up .
Mojo2's EQ is very broad , non-specific

Only good if you have good headphones/speakers and what to do basic bass/treble adjustment

You are more trying to fix non-neutral speakers - you need parametric EQ

Or better speakers

dtaylo1066

Please, clarify, are you using the DAC in the iPad and sending an analog signal to your HK, or does your receiver have a built in DAC and you are running digital out from your iPad?

I have not seen measurements of an iPad's digital to analog capabilities, but I would think them inferior to a quality budget DAC.

You could forget the iPad and buy a WiiM Pro Plus and you will have a much better DAC and good software with EQ.

brandall10

An iPad is fine as a source, Apple's audio outs have been shown to be performant for a long time now.

You can get parametric EQ w/ Soundsource on the iPad.

Last edited:

dtaylo1066

Shoot I did a quick google and something mentioned it was, but I do see on their own product page it isn't.
Reminds me of the Betamax vs. VHS days.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ but have yet to employ it for any music listening. I believe the latest Android firmware update now enables proper sample rates vs. everything being sampled to 48kHz, but really have not looked into that much.

For music I only use the S8+ to control Volumio's app which runs through Tinker Board hardware. But at some point I may store music on the TabS8+'s very large 1TB micro SD card to play via my iFi micro iDSD Black Label.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me of the Betamax vs. VHS days.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S8+ but have yet to employ it for any music listening. I believe the latest Android firmware update now enables proper sample rates vs. everything being sampled to 48kHz, but really have not looked into that much.

For music I only use the S8+ to control Volumio's app which runs through Tinker Board hardware. But at some point I may store music on the TabS8+'s very large 1TB micro SD card to play via my iFi micro iDSD Black Label.
USB audioplayer pro or Neutron work on just about any Android. Neutron has built-in PEQ. Neutron quality of operation is second to none, also a bit difficult to master fully.
A one TB SD card, heats up in use, uses power and is expensive. If you have a PC around the house, store your music there, set it as shared folder and then get UAPP or Neutron to use the shared folder as media folder.
For as long as you stay in same network (WiFi etc.) it will work perfectly.

dtaylo1066

USB audioplayer pro or Neutron work on just about any Android. Neutron has built-in PEQ. Neutron quality of operation is second to none, also a bit difficult to master fully.
A one TB SD card, heats up in use, uses power and is expensive. If you have a PC around the house, store your music there, set it as shared folder and then get UAPP or Neutron to use the shared folder as media folder.
For as long as you stay in same network (WiFi etc.) it will work perfectly.

I have looked at UAPP but not in depth. Don't know Neutron. At present my SD card is 500GB, which I got on a screaming deal.

In my home network I do have a WD My Cloud drive with 4 TB of storage, which functions like a pseudo cloud. I have a large music file on the WD My Cloud mapped to Volumio (which now has EQ), and from which I stream my stored music wirelessly to a Tinker Board that feeds my DAC via USB, which I run into my Hypex amps and monitors when listening via speakers. I will likely sign up for Tidal or one of the streaming services pretty soon.

I have my son at home presently who is working remote from my house so I can't blast the stereo, hence I picked up the iFi dac/headamp and some TruthEar Zero Reds. Most impressive for the price.

I might be able to mapp the SD Card drive to Volumio, but it just might be easier to keep all on the WD drive, especially if I can access that drive with UAPP. I also use the tablet and its SD drive for many other tasks than listening to music, as it is quite powerful tablet.

I need to check those two apps out further. Thanks.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have looked at UAPP but not in depth. Don't know Neutron. At present my SD card is 500GB, which I got on a screaming deal.

In my home network I do have a WD My Cloud drive with 4 TB of storage, which functions like a pseudo cloud. I have a large music file on the WD My Cloud mapped to Volumio (which now has EQ), and from which I stream my stored music wirelessly to a Tinker Board that feeds my DAC via USB, which I run into my Hypex amps and monitors when listening via speakers. I will likely sign up for Tidal or one of the streaming services pretty soon.

I have my son at home presently who is working remote from my house so I can't blast the stereo, hence I picked up the iFi dac/headamp and some TruthEar Zero Reds. Most impressive for the price.

I might be able to mapp the SD Card drive to Volumio, but it just might be easier to keep all on the WD drive, especially if I can access that drive with UAPP. I also use the tablet and its SD drive for many other tasks than listening to music, as it is quite powerful tablet.

I need to check those two apps out further. Thanks.
There are no players more comprehensive than Neutron.
Think of it as a JRiver for Android.
Also hardest to master, because of its comprehensiveness.
UAPP is like a simplified Neutron, so not as comprehensive, but more user friendly.
Either can connect directly to any dac, bypassing Android system, do bit perfect or not.
I.e. use DSP.

Top Bottom