• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 156 45.0%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
There’s nothing left to improve upon really in the digital audio segment
Of course there is - EQ.

They started with 4 bands at fixed frequencies, in Mojo 2.

Not rocket science to see this will expand in future.

Art of sound

I agree that this is an unacceptable choice, at any price point. However this is a manufacturer that still lists their going-on nine year old “DAVE” as their flagship digital product at $14,000, which was an unconscionable price when it launched, let alone eight years on. Eight years is comparable to eons in digital technology, and just the GUI display alone is laughably dated.

Chord is a triumph in marketing and in creating the mythic personality cult of Rob Watts—plus some very savvy cozying up with the stalwart corporate-funded reviewers. Same with Paul McGowan at PS Audio. Instead of maintaining their technology with the SOTA, they come up with new ideas in pseudoscience to keep their aging technology au courant. And folks keep on buying it nonetheless…
As the lightning port lived on. you have to cater your long term users to increase trust in the brand. primarily the profit margins are higher if you can design something that outperforms the competition with minimal expenses in re-tooling ensuring long term profit without a hit to the consumer base. sure they have overspend on the single block aluminium. ( could use a better font on the label), they could have added charging functionality to the Type C port which is so damn irritating but the DAC simply is so good i can eek out an amazing experience with RB42's from my mac and i can still lug it around with hiby r3 pro atttached to it as a bluetooth receiver for my phone's spotify or plexamp.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
If they had taken my suggestion, there would not be a need for a Mojo3. A revised Poly 3 (2?) would just click on directly.
The adaptor, would have afforded them backward compatibility with existing Polys, till they release a new one.
Considering the absurd cost of the Poly, it's baffling that they haven't done that obvious thing.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes but you are not seeing it is a clunky suggestion. It makes an already long combo longer.

It is a good engineering solution but not one for the public.

Anyway they are probably selling tens of thousands of Mojo2, which will wash out the 100 or so people complaining online about microUSB.
Really? Just how many mm would it add?

Chester

Considering the absurd cost of the Poly, it's baffling that they haven't done that obvious thing.

The Mojo/Poly is already a heavy combo held together by two Micro USB, optical and small jack ports. While a clever idea, I don’t think a thin coupler like this between them would work in practice.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Mojo/Poly is already a heavy combo held together by two Micro USB, optical and small jack ports. While a clever idea, I don’t think a thin coupler like this between them would work in practice.
As I said, the will was not there.
The Existing Poly/Mojo assembly relies on a sleeve or case to stay put, the adaptor would not be any different.
With Hugo2 there are two screw holes that 2Go would use to snap-on, to make a solid assembly. They could have done the same with Mojo2, adding the bolt-on holes.
The adaptor could bolt-on Mojo for now, and existing poly would just clip-on as usual. A revised Poly would have similar bolts as 2Go, to bolt to Mojo2, making for a sturdy assembly.
Now, If I could think of this, Chord certainly could have done better, but!
I think if they had done so, it would have hinted at the possibility of a NEW Poly. That would have put a damper on the sales of, already minimal, existing Polys.
I think a HD-BT is a far more desired requirement than any USB-C. On a device with emphasis on sound quality above all else, one could excuse uUSB ports, but not low-def BT.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Maybe, but aren't there 2 locating pins/lugs holding them together?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't seen one in person. What am I seeing here <https://www.avforums.com/reviews/chord-electronics-poly-review.14138/>?
@Chester is correct about the flimsy assembly. Poly snaps to Mojo by means of:
- a shaft that inserts to coax input
- another that inserts to optical socket
- two USB plugs that would insert too.
But over all, it can snap off damaging both Poly and Mojo, hence the need for a sleeve of a case.
On a 2Go for Hugo2, there are two metal lugs that screw into Hugo2 and 2Go would snap-on to the lugs.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
@Chester is correct about the flimsy assembly. Poly snaps to Mojo by means of:
- a shaft that inserts to coax input
- another that inserts to optical socket
- two USB plugs that would insert too.
But over all, it can snap off damaging both Poly and Mojo, hence the need for a sleeve of a case.
On a 2Go for Hugo2, there are two metal lugs that screw into Hugo2 and 2Go would snap-on to the lugs.
Thanks. I had no idea that it is so poor. Not what one expects for such expensive items.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Chester

Poly is overpriced, mainly because the software is very poorly designed. However if you are a Roon user, the Poly/Mojo 2 are a really useful portable product. I grab it and a pair of headphones and am up and running in any room of the house. It works well for me anyway.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few years ago, I modded an Xduoo BT receiver to click on a Mojo.
Worked very well, because it had LDAC.
It was only £58 at the time, I could even take a phone call.

IMG_20201103_120211(1).jpg

IMG_20201103_120234.jpgIMG_20201103_103018.jpgIMG_20201103_120242(1).jpgIMG_20201103_125201(1).jpg

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course there is - EQ.

They started with 4 bands at fixed frequencies, in Mojo 2.

Not rocket science to see this will expand in future.
If they’re going to offer an EQ feature at these price points, why haven’t they employed more than a four band EQ to date? I use Roon as my PEQ solution so this really isn’t important to me—but I’m able to achieve everything the Mojo does with better numbers on the bench with a Topping DAC/Amp combo or an RME with higher clean headroom and up to date connectors—where is all the money going in these Chord products? Where is the $14,000 in the DAVE?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If they’re going to offer an EQ feature at these price points, why haven’t they employed more than a four band EQ to date? I use Roon as my PEQ solution so this really isn’t important to me—but I’m able to achieve everything the Mojo does with better numbers on the bench with a Topping DAC/Amp combo or an RME with higher clean headroom and up to date connectors—where is all the money going in these Chord products? Where is the $14,000 in the DAVE?
And when you are on a plane or a train ? ?
Please compare like with like. And what suits me or you, is personal. Can not judge a product on personal preferences. If it doesn't suit you, you won't buy, but it doesn't mean it doesn't suit anyone.
I like Mojo, so do many people. Amir was just praise for the device, deservedly. OK I accept the Poly is way too expensive for its niche limited use category. It would have been better with USB-C and other little nag worthy points.
But overall, Mojo has been an excellent device, lets be fair.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As the lightning port lived on. you have to cater your long term users to increase trust in the brand. primarily the profit margins are higher if you can design something that outperforms the competition with minimal expenses in re-tooling ensuring long term profit without a hit to the consumer base. sure they have overspend on the single block aluminium. ( could use a better font on the label), they could have added charging functionality to the Type C port which is so damn irritating but the DAC simply is so good i can eek out an amazing experience with RB42's from my mac and i can still lug it around with hiby r3 pro atttached to it as a bluetooth receiver for my phone's spotify or plexamp.
The DAC is nice and compact and performs perfectly adequately on the bench. I see why you and others like it. You can get even better “performance” (albeit inaudible—all of this is inaudible) for a lot less, with SOTA connectors and digital components. It just requires acquiescence to non-“Blue Chip” brands, which it took me awhile to adjust to. It’s very hard to get past conflating cost with quality. This site helped me get there, and I couldn’t be happier. That’s all that matters, no matter what your gear costs, and I do acknowledge that there are other factors besides sound quality that inform individual preferences.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And when you are on a plane or a train ? ?
Please compare like with like. And what suits me or you, is personal. Can not judge a product on personal preferences. If it doesn't suit you, you won't buy, but it doesn't mean it doesn't suit anyone.
I like Mojo, so do many people. Amir was just praise for the device, deservedly. OK I accept the Poly is way too expensive for its niche limited use category. It would have been better with USB-C and other little nag worthy points.
But overall, Mojo has been an excellent device, lets be fair.
I’m not judging. I posted just now that I can see why some folks like the Mojo. I’m really only taking exception to Chord’s price points. I personally use an iFi xDSD Gryphon for my portable which is $100 less in price and offers more flexibility with inputs and outputs, but I’m sure there are plenty of folks who could find faults with it—iFi has not been reviewed kindly on this site but I didn’t feel compelled to defend my choices. I’m just responding to one person’s post who called out the Mojo 2’s old school ports and their incompatibility with modern phones.

I think Chord has a tendency to rest on its laurels and gouge their price points based on a reputation that is exaggerated. Amir reviewed a Topping portable that outperformed both of our units but I still prefer my Gryphon, just as you preferred your Chord. His word is not final or we’d all own Dan Clark headphones and Topping DACs. My view is that if it makes you happy then there is nothing to quibble with. Can’t we have a discussion that debates the features and assets of the gear we own without taking things personally?

Last edited:
Top Bottom