• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 157 45.1%

• Total voters

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion this does not make any sense either with any kind of high end stationary system. So, it makes no sense with a phone and makes no sense with a stationary system. I suppose the only scenario where this makes any sense is for lovers of eighties style toys with colored balls. You could save money and get this instead:

View attachment 208863
I don’t know what to make of his post or yours. What position is being put forth here? Who’s arguing what? Are you guys speaking in some Chord language or using some special Chord logic? I need help…

raif71

Major Contributor
I hear you.
But there are many out there who do not have your kind of issues - perhaps when you change your phone, it would work for you.
Never had any issue with my Mojo(s) when I had them, and no issue with Hugo2 and my phone.
And it is a Chinese Huawei!
But I did use the Mojo with an LG and a Samsung.

This is my DIY cable:

11735331.jpg

It is about 3 foot long, has a ferrite core filter built into it, and that little "sugar cube" size box, is actually a USB hub and a 500GB storage, housed in a copper enclosure. The phone sees both Hugo2 and the external storage, where most of my music is.
That's some kind of "chord" there and if strikes a chord with Chord, they might be interested buying your design as an accessory :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's some kind of "chord" there and if strikes a chord with Chord, they might be interested buying your design as an accessory :)
They absolutely wouldn't. they have Poly and 2Go that takes microSD card, this is not up their alley.
Just DIY.
You do know we are in a "Chord" thread . . .

raif71

Major Contributor
They absolutely wouldn't. they have Poly and 2Go that takes microSD card, this is not up their alley.
Just DIY.
You do know we are in a "Chord" thread . . .
You are quick to cut the "chord" with my suggestion :p

Are you talking about interference with the Poly? I don’t see why this device should have any problems using mobile devices as an input source. How would LTE interfere, and beyond that what audiophile buying a device this exorbitantly priced is using a 3G phone these days?
In Europe we are using 5G and is a constant problem when connected with a 20cm short cable and attached on the back of my mobile. With the poly I have no issues since the mobile is away from the poly+mojo. I have an iPhone 13 and had the same issue with all previous mobiles.

I hear you.
But there are many out there who do not have your kind of issues - perhaps when you change your phone, it would work for you.
Never had any issue with my Mojo(s) when I had them, and no issue with Hugo2 and my phone.
And it is a Chinese Huawei!
But I did use the Mojo with an LG and a Samsung.

This is my DIY cable:

11735331.jpg

It is about 3 foot long, has a ferrite core filter built into it, and that little "sugar cube" size box, is actually a USB hub and a 500GB storage, housed in a copper enclosure. The phone sees both Hugo2 and the external storage, where most of my music is.
The problem is when I connect the mojo with a short cable to my mobile. With long cables, where the source is away from the mojo, there is no issue

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Ive got a mojo 2 and 7hz timeless iem’s arriving tday, no justifiable need for either other than a case of “want” as I’ve been perfectly happy with my home hifi setup and airpod pro’s/max but I just wanted to have an alternative listening experience to try out, hope there’s none of the reported issues when used with my iPhone/iPad.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is when I connect the mojo with a short cable to my mobile. With long cables, where the source is away from the mojo, there is no issue
Exactly!
That's why I am against attaching any DAC by straps to a phone:
- you get two straps covering part of the screen, interfering with operation.
- creates BULK, a heavy brick that fits nowhere.
- phones have powerful transmitters that can talk to masts few miles away, they are noisy by nature.
- If RF interference doesn't get you, EM interference might.
I see no need to do such a thing, phone in one pocket and DAC in another, in UK we always wear a jacket of some sort, so plenty of pockets.
Your issue is a known EM interference and is as much phone dependent as it is DACs.
No denying, Chord DACs are sensitive to both RFI and EMI on USB input, despite all metal casing.

Music1969

Major Contributor
In Europe we are using 5G and is a constant problem when connected with a 20cm short cable and attached on the back of my mobile. With the poly I have no issues since the mobile is away from the poly+mojo. I have an iPhone 13 and had the same issue with all previous mobiles.

Do you still have 2G active in your country?

This Mojo1 issue with phones was found to be a 2G problem. Rob says this has been fixed in Mojo2.

If your country no longer has 2G active (like mine), it's not an issue.

1653561222424.png

We are using
Do you still have 2G active in your country?

This Mojo1 issue with phones was found to be a 2G problem. Rob says this has been fixed in Mojo2.

If your country no longer has 2G active (like mine), it's not an issue.

View attachment 208972
3,4 and 5G and the problem remains. That’s why I said for me the mojo without the poly is transportable and not really portable. I have the poly and is great as portable device but the mojo stacked with a mobile is a no go

Exactly!
That's why I am against attaching any DAC by straps to a phone:
- you get two straps covering part of the screen, interfering with operation.
- creates BULK, a heavy brick that fits nowhere.
- phones have powerful transmitters that can talk to masts few miles away, they are noisy by nature.
- If RF interference doesn't get you, EM interference might.
I see no need to do such a thing, phone in one pocket and DAC in another, in UK we always wear a jacket of some sort, so plenty of pockets.
Your issue is a known EM interference and is as much phone dependent as it is DACs.
No denying, Chord DACs are sensitive to both RFI and EMI on USB input, despite all metal casing.
Cool. At least we understand each other. I didn’t use rubber straps. Just Velcro but without the poly the mojo can’t be anywhere near my mobile phone.

Music1969

Major Contributor
We are using

3,4 and 5G and the problem remains. That’s why I said for me the mojo without the poly is transportable and not really portable. I have the poly and is great as portable device but the mojo stacked with a mobile is a no go
So 2G has been turned off in your country?

Even if you are using 4G or 5G, if 2G is still active and phone supports it , you can have the buzzing.

What country are you in?

So 2G has been turned off in your country?

Even if you are using 4G or 5G, if 2G is still active and phone supports it , you can have the buzzing.

What country are you in?
I am in the United Kingdom. We don’t have 2G and my iPhone 13 doesn’t support it anyway

Music1969

Major Contributor
I am in the United Kingdom. We don’t have 2G and my iPhone 13 doesn’t support it anyway
2G is still active in the UK. Switched off in 2033... As Rob explains, that's the reason for your buzzing.

And all iPhone 13 models support GSM...

Correct. This interference is filtered in Mojo2 and Hugo2.

He only discovered it after Mojo1 was already released.

It won't be a problem after 2033 in the UK lol
Ok then. I revise my statement. The chord mojo and mojo 2 is not a fit for purpose mobile device, directly connected and attached to your mobile phone in the UK or other countries where 2G network is still active.

Music1969

Major Contributor
The chord mojo and mojo 2 is not a fit for purpose mobile device, directly connected and attached to your mobile phone in the UK or other countries where 2G network is still active.
As I wrote above, Mojo2 is fine!

Mojo2 doesn't have this 2G interference issue at all - Rob fixed it with Hugo2 and then Mojo2 !

But you can always take your phone to a shop selling Mojo2 and verify yourself.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok then. I revise my statement. The chord mojo and mojo 2 is not a fit for purpose mobile device, directly connected and attached to your mobile phone in the UK or other countries where 2G network is still active.
The 2G issue is a non-issue.
Your phone only switches to 2G in the extreme chance that there are no 4G coverage (switches to 3G) and then there are no 3G coverage also!!
Under 2G you will have next to no internet and only standard phone and SMS at best.
You are (if I am not mistaken) getting pops and clicks, you are not getting any buzzing, are you?
The pops and clicks are from phone's internal power switching, which creates an Electro Magnetic Interference that the DAC picks up in its analogue section.
Some phones are better insulated for EMI, some are not.
At any rate, just keep them apart, which you are doing.
This post in reality is meant for others who are wondering, you got it figured.

As I wrote above, Mojo2 is fine!

Mojo2 doesn't have this 2G interference issue at all - Rob fixed it with Hugo2 and then Mojo2 !

But you can always take your phone to a shop selling Mojo2 and verify yourself.
That’s not my experience. Mojo OG and mojo 2 have exactly the same issues that with mobile interference. I own both devices

Top Bottom