• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 77 25.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 37.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 87 29.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 8.3%

• Total voters

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took over the kitchen and cooked well. She liked my cooking. My mother made sure that I know how to cook both on the stovetop and inside the oven. :D
Your mom probably knew you better than yourself.
She probably had figured out you have an eye for beautiful European girls, that mostly can't or won't cook (or do housework, iron wash ...)!
She made sure you could eat.
Mother's intuition ??
;)
:D

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The micro-USB is automatically enough to make me hate something, and gives pretty much any device a distinctly "cheap" feel to it now that USB-C has been around for a while. For the cost they should convert it over since its fairly minor changes to the tooling for the enclosure and the PCB. Its hard to find a reason not to given how loathsome those connectors are.
Micro-USB on anything premium today feels so outdated that as a savvy consumer of expensive audiophile gear, one cannot help but feel the engineering team is completely out of touch with "state of the art" - it's either laziness or cost cutting, both of which are unacceptable for a product that's nearly $3,000. With so many worthy competitors to be considered if this is your budget that just seeing micro-USB immediately discards Hugo2 from any serious consideration.

Hell, just offer a usb-c version for $3,500, call it Hugo3, paint it matte black, create some pointless filters "designed for today's highest resolution IEMs" and be done with it.

bidn

Hi
What was the point of the last link you included? I did not understand.
Frankly, RW has said, mains cables, fancy USB cables and the sort do not make differences.
Even fancy outboard powersupplies, linear power supplies are a waste of money.
The quote of the quote you mentioned in your previous post was out of context, and RW may have said that , Yes, all products do! that is not a confirmation that he approves of outlandish fantasy efforts that can improve sound quality.
He is very vocal to rebuke such things, always saying the device was made as well as we could, you can't improve it by such attempts.
The very word All products is a general term, applies (again) to my TV too.

I am sorry I did not explain the context, I thought people would check the links I had included.

So I hope that quoting an excerpt from the beginning of the first post I linked from Head-Fi can help to illustrate the recurring situation of some Chord fans burning a lot of money on various esoteric and expensive mechanical interfaces ( different kinds of woods, crystals, dampeners...) to improve the electronic SQ (protecting against these imperceptible vibrations),
enjoy :)!:

In this scenario, the DAVE sits on a Hickory plinth which then is floated on a bed of quartz crystals which absorb and eliminate vibrational energy by changing it to thermal energy. The concept bordered on snake oil to me but I did notice an immediate but subtle difference compared against the HRS Nimbus footers. With the TB-38H, the DAVE sounded a touch warmer with greater treble detail which were to my liking. The downside was that the sound seemed less focused, especially in the lower registers (bass was less defined) which was not a great trade-off. I had some low profile Black Ravioli footers that I was using for my CAD CAT music server that I placed initially between the DAVE and the hickory plinth and while this improved the focus, it diminished the slight warmth and enhanced treble detail that the TB-38H nicely brought out. I then tried the Black Raviolis underneath the TB-38H where they were directly positioned between my desk and the TB-38H. This led to my best scenario. The desired warmth and detail were there but also the focus and improved bass definition.

Watts never refuted this ongoing charlatanism on that thread, nor the recurring quote attributed to him, yet he has been watching and getting involved in that thread.
I hope someone knows more or will dig more on this.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Watts never refuted this ongoing charlatanism on that thread, nor the recurring quote attributed to him, yet he has been watching and getting involved in that thread.
I hope someone knows more or will dig more on this.
Yes, some people take their fantasies too far.
But come on!
Do you expect RW to chase up every silly post and reply?
He can not burst some of his customers bubbles, If he is asked he says it.
he is a working man, with a family!

bidn

Yes, some people take their fantasies too far.
But come on!
Do you expect RW to chase up every silly post and reply?
he is a working man, with a family!

This is a good point,
but why does Watts then take time to refute things like MQA and DSD? I actually find MQA even crazier.

Watts seems to answer many posts.

I expect him to care about his reputation, that recurring quote about him supporting the vibration craze for all his devices is like a nuclear bomb for me, wouldn't any serious engineer care a lot to refute it? The more so that Chord's products seem to rely on the image of Watts as a ground-breaking genius?

Also why would the poster lie in fabricating this quote? This person seems quite genuine ( and respected in the thead), going all the way to buy and compare all kinds of anti-vibration snake oil,
see e.g. the first link , it is funny and worth it re. audiophile beliefs:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You got me! :) I'll concede that one. All the same, do we know that it's *audibly* better than anything else?
I do! ;)
Edit: £500 here looks a lot better that $800 in the USA!
Yes, so Yanks are greedy! What else is new?
Did you know that the £450 price tag includes sales tax of %20 ? in reality, it is £375 + tax, includes free next day delivery!
Name Rob Watts and Chord what you may, they are in a league of their own.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I expect him to care about his reputation, that recurring quote about him supporting the vibration craze for all his devices is like a nuclear bomb for me, wouldn't any serious engineer care a lot to refute it? The more so that Chord's products seem to rely on the image of Watts as a ground-breaking genius?
Well I do, when I see one and can be bothered.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I won't defend those pricing, I would never go for it, but at the end of the day X5, X10 compared to what? I don't really see the benefit myself of such a large battery powered "portable" DAC amp. but what I do see is that no portable battery powered in these pages seem to be performing better, unless I a missed it. When you are the very best at what you do, you can put any price you want, I am ok with this, If you want the top, and you have the dough for it, that's the prerogative of the fortunate For products to be overpriced. it means thew competition do the same for cheaper and then the market adjust itself and buyers will purchase with a choice, with information. So the question remains, if it's too expensive, I personally think it is but then other manufacturers may take a shot at doing this for cheaper. The only thing I can remember of a portable battery powered DAC AMP having similar power was the C Entrance M8, it performed pooorly, was 750$ and was extremely industrial/Utilitarian looking.
This is clearly better. I know there are maybe stuff from IFI and FIIO and of course not everything is measured here, but bottom line, when you're the champ, you deserve the big bucks, it's true with everything. I am not saying it's the champ, but if not who is, and only then we can say Chord is asking to much. They priced it that way, because they can, who would blame them, if no one went for it, they would price it lower. That's up to the industry to adapt.
An cell phone as a source with a dongle is much cheaper and offers the same or better performance as a DAC and only slightly less power as a headphone amp (for example the E1DA 9038S for $99 with a nominal output power of 340mW at 32 Ohm versus the measured of 464mW fro the Hugo2). But this additional power is hardly needed for any phone. If you want additional battery life, take the Hidizs DH80S for $119). Maybe the Hugo2 was competitive 2017 (technically, not considering price), 2022 for sure it isn´t.

Last edited:

xbalkugqw

An cell phone as a source with a dongle is much cheaper and offers the the same or better performance as a DAC and only slightly less power as a headphone amp (for example the E1DA 9038S for $99 with a nominal output power of 340mw at 32 Ohm versus the measured of 464mw fro the Hugo2). But this additional power is hardly needed for any phone. If you want additional battery life, take the Hidizs D80S for $119). Maybe the Hugo2 was competitive 2017 (technically, not considering price), 2022 for sure it isn´t.
Again, I would be very grateful for constructive criticism. I still read that the Hugo is not competitive, etc., but I have not yet found any alternatives that subjectively sound better up to the same price, nor have they been mentioned here. The same is for the Hugo TT2.

Garrincha

No, I want everything works out-of-the-box- also eventually for console gaming later.
So, you are willing to invest (I would say waste) tons of money in most probably non-existing, or if so very tiny differences another DAC may deliver, but not in the most simple and relevant one of a proper EQ for headphones (done digitally for example via SoundSource for $39 on the Mac) ? I would say you should reconsider your priorities.

Garrincha

Again, I would be very grateful for constructive criticism. I still read that the Hugo is not competitive, etc., but I have not yet found any alternatives that subjectively sound better up to the same price, nor have they been mentioned here. The same is for the Hugo TT2.
Did you read my reply ? I mentioned a dongle and a portable little dac/headphone amp with battery. They both have less power than the Hugo2, but should be sufficient for most headphones and all IEMs. Soundwise there is most propably no difference.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing that couldn't be cured with a blind test. In sighted testing, he changes a variable, and randomly hears a difference. So thinks everything is audible no matter how small.
Who's "he"? Do you mean the designer? But if the filters don't do anything different then wouldn't he know that from measurements, or do you mean the designer changed something about how the filter achieves it's goal that he thinks he can hear a difference when in fact each filter ends up doing the same thing? Does that mean the designer is measuring some other aspect of the filter rather than the cutoffs you measured in the following pic?
index.php

(I don't know if different filters can have any effects beyond what's shown in the graph above).

Here2Learn

Interesting that so many comments are about build quality. Well, the alignment of RCA's with the chassis and the tolerance on the chassis halves may be off, but in terms of overall strength and robustness I believe Chord have always prided themselves on build quality that won't fail if you drop it.

At least, years ago they showed this:

I did have a Chord Hugo, since replaced with an SMSL unit. A shame to see the USB of Hugo 2 trailing behind Hugo 1. My Hugo 1 was well built. It had some idiosyncratic things, but is definitely was not flimsy.

On a random thought about build quality: I am often bemused by audiophile products where the manufacturer will claim astoundingly robust build quality, only to place "Precision Instrument - Fragile" on the packaging.

DonR

Major Contributor
Interesting that so many comments are about build quality. Well, the alignment of RCA's with the chassis and the tolerance on the chassis halves may be off, but in terms of overall strength and robustness I believe Chord have always prided themselves on build quality that won't fail if you drop it.

At least, years ago they showed this:

I did have a Chord Hugo, since replaced with an SMSL unit. A shame to see the USB of Hugo 2 trailing behind Hugo 1. My Hugo 1 was well built. It had some idiosyncratic things, but is definitely was not flimsy.

On a random thought about build quality: I am often bemused by audiophile products where the manufacturer will claim astoundingly robust build quality, only to place "Precision Instrument - Fragile" on the packaging.
A robust case on a portable like the Hugo is very welcome but simply a waste on a home device. I understand, however, the psychological impact doing this will make on the buyer.

DonR

Major Contributor
Except it's a portable device - so subject to accidents outside the home
The QBD weighs 7kg and is mains powered so It's not portable but I see you deliberately took my quote out of context to make it look like I was talking about the Hugo. Bravo.

Top Bottom