• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 121 24.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 4.9%

• Total voters

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I love my Chord DAC and was willing to pay more for it because I like the build quality and I actually prefer its quirky looks and controls.
That’s terrific! Did you try out any of the less expensive options that have been favorably reviewed before you made your purchase? I’m sincerely curious—what was the selling point for you that secured your investment in the DAVE, and when did you buy it?

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Way back in 2014 Tom's Hardware published an article showing people can't hear a differences between a $2 DAC chip and a $2,000 Benchmark DAC https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html . It doesn't seem like this readily available information has had much effect on the high end DAC market and here we are 8 years later with the same information. Does anyone think it will be different now? I doubt it but who knows.
I think you and I are solidly aligned on the folly of this thing’s price point—I’m just not so sure I think the folks at Tom’s Hardware are such a scientifically rigorous resource. There’s a whole lot o’ clickbait goin’ on over there…

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Pricing aside, we should all take a step back and view the design of this device from the perspective of Jackie Chan:

jackiechanwtf.jpg

Let's look at what the DAVE evolved from, the QBD976 HDSD:

qd76hdsdtop.jpg

qbd76hdsdback.jpg

qbd76hdsdint.jpg

Seriously, what is the fascination with the portholes and magnifying lenses on this model that have carried over to the DAVE—and other Chord DACs? Is this some boyhood attachment to some Jules Verne, Captain Nemo, 20,00 Leagues Under the Sea, nautical obsession that only British designers have? What decision-making process was involved that it was arrived at that this was a practical, usable design? Was this design something that was presented that tickled the fancy of the obviously eccentric head of this company from a person or persons who then ended up laughing their asses off down at the pub after work? What should we expect next—a Master of the World themed design?

motw.jpg

Seriously, WTF?

levimax

Major Contributor
I think you and I are solidly aligned on the folly of this thing’s price point—I’m just not so sure I think the folks at Tom’s Hardware are such a scientifically rigorous resource. There’s a whole lot o’ clickbait goin’ on over there…
Certainly not perfect but compared to most HiFi reviews at least they tried to test blind

raif71

Major Contributor
I haven't actually, I'm travelling. I also am letting Amir keep the unit for longer in case he wants to do more testing (I remember all those follow up questions on the M Scaler), since I won't be doing much listening for the next couple of weeks. The other thing is I really don't remember any sound deterioration. I mean it sounded fine. If he hadn't mentioned it I would never have thought there was a problem; I think it's inaudible. Maybe Amir can hear it if he tries. Keep in mind I never used it as a headphone amp, just DAC.

And appreciate the sympathy about the insult, but I have a thick skin from being a lawyer so no worries. And if you saw some of the audiophile cables I sent him in the package, even I have to admit they were truly dumb purchases. Although they still sell well on the used market.
I thought lawyers usually object to insults... "Your honor, I object to this insult of my DAC" :)

blackmetalboon

That’s terrific! Did you try out any of the less expensive options that have been favorably reviewed before you made your purchase? I’m sincerely curious—what was the selling point for you that secured your investment in the DAVE, and when did you buy it?

While I was interested in the DAVE when it was released, I eventually decided to spend my funds elsewhere.

I do own it’s predecessor, the QBD76 similar to one posted above, and the DAC 64 MKII. I bought the QBD76 before the DAVE (and ASR) and probably a good chunk of DAC‘s reviewed here existed.

At the time it ticked all my boxes, UK manufacturer, looks, build quality, inputs (USB, Coax, Bluetooth), local support, reliability (based on using Chord gear since 2001/2) all things I am happy paying a premium for.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the time it ticked all my boxes, UK manufacturer, looks, build quality, inputs (USB, Coax, Bluetooth), local support, reliability (based on using Chord gear since 2001/2) all things I am happy paying a premium for.
Ultimately, that's all that Chord wants to hear. They want customers who are happy paying premium for a product that generally doesn't work better than less expensive options. That's a consumer's choice.

For quite a while I really wanted a Qutest based on the audio press. ASR set me straight and I ended up with a Schiit and a Topping that together cost me much less for equivalent or better performance, and more features in the Topping. DAVE was always "stupid money" to me and I did not buy into the "more taps are always better" mantra. I have to admit that the DAVE's steep reconstruction filter is pretty much unmatched, but the audible difference is bogus. The SINAD of the Qutest and the DAVE with TOSLINK in and RCA out is pretty much the same, which makes the premium and the headphone section performance even more questionable.

index.php
index.php

Peternz

Ironically, if the Chord Dave cost $140 - it is unlikely anybody would buy it because it would be neither "exclusive" nor "mysterious" and suddenly, the need to defend one's "investment" disappears.

Too true. Amazing how many band aids the people at head-fi think the DAVE needs. As we all know there are some things that you just can't polish....

From headfi: "With Dave and the M scaler installed it will be incredible!" Make of it what you will.

Dogcoop

Too true. Amazing how many band aids the people at head-fi think the DAVE needs. As we all know there are some things that you just can't polish....

From headfi: "With Dave and the M scaler installed it will be incredible!" Make of it what you will.
The DAVE is so phenomenal. It just needs upgrades to power supply, usb cables, audiophile switches, bnc cables, oh gee, it’s not good enough out of the box for ‘ultimate listening experience.’ This is just one screwed up planet where people have to buy WAVE cables and Sean Jacobs power supplies, oh, wait a minute, it’s some Farad thing that just makes it sound so good. All that money to make a $14,000 DAC sound even better. What world are these selfish f*cks living in?
That’s my rant for tonight.
Happy listening!

Peternz

The DAVE is so phenomenal. It just needs upgrades to power supply, usb cables, audiophile switches, bnc cables, oh gee, it’s not good enough out of the box for ‘ultimate listening experience.’ This is just one screwed up planet where people have to buy WAVE cables and Sean Jacobs power supplies, oh, wait a minute, it’s some Farad thing that just makes it sound so good. All that money to make a $14,000 DAC sound even better. What world are these selfish f*cks living in?
Happy listening!

You forgot the Mscaler. The trouble is that DAVE is not that great to begin with so all these bands aids are a waste of space, time and money. A dac that is simply better would cost less than one of those ^^^ cables.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You forgot the Mscaler. The trouble is that DAVE is not that great to begin with so all these bands aids are a waste of space, time and money. A dac that is simply better would cost less than one of those ^^^ cables.
The DAVE *is* fabulous, so long as you don’t have unbiased testing and measurement.

Giving it the headless panther seems unwarranted; it performs okay - it’s not “broken”, per se. It’s just that the performance in no way justifies it’s astonishing cost.

Dogcoop

I didn’t actually forget the m-scaler, I just thought that $14,000 DAVE was enough to make the point. :D
I actually owned a DAVE and M-Scaler. I know….I confess my ignorance and stupidity….now I am listening thru a e50, a90d, and DCA stealth and I consider myself very lucky to enjoy music at the level I do. Don’t miss the DAVE/M-Scaler at all. I truly believe that if everyone was ‘limited’ to the e30 ll and d30 ll it would be a world where everyone was enjoying excellent sound reproduction, but there are lots of people who think they need ‘more.’ I find it despicable that people think they deserve more!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And eyes. It helps if you don't have to look at the dang thing.
The look is probably the thing that does justify more cost. It’s distinctive and edgy in the way a conversation piece should be, versus being a drab silver block.

For a DAVE owner, that distinctiveness is probably worth something, even if it turns off mainstream buyers. It’s something that Chord has sought to reproduce throughout their line for a reason.

RustyGates

Think we need to start seeing the THD+N 20kHz sweep over a 20kHz BW plotted on the same graph as the 90kHz BW.

The DAVE has a 90kHz bandwidth plot which is ruler flat and lower than the Tambaqui, but the Tambaqui has a higher SINAD considering only 20kHz BW and ignoring ultrasonic components.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
.I confess my ignorance and stupidity…

Ignorance, yes. Many of us have been there.

Stupidity, no. It isn't stupid to be taken advantage of based on gaps in knowledge. For that, the shame is on those who rely on it as a business model.

When it is in the best interest of the seller to keep you not only ignorant, but to try to fill in the gaps of knowledge with a complete bullshit burger sprayed with a whiff of 'sciency sounding stuff,' the animosity some feel towards someone like Amir is easy to understand.

JohnM-73

Happy listening!

Nailed it! If the Dave (or TT2 etc) are so incredibly phenomenal, why do so many of the owners spend so much time over at Head-Case trying to get the best from it? I mean, they don’t even listen to the designer’s own comments about NOT needing an upgraded psu. Curious how they pick and choose what to agree with and what needs ‘improving’. I’d rather spend that precious time listening to music instead! Modern audiophilia really is an illness.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

johnwmclean

Chord has done very well from clever marketing, getting the timing right and launching a successful product that has hit home and has most likely made good profit.

The audiophile industry is a well oiled machine, auditory memory is such a brilliant manipulative deception strategy - a marketers dream with no accountability or liability. It’s a proven marketing recipe that never grows old and the gullible fall trap every time.

What intrigues me is the physiology of ingrained thought process and convictions, buzz words and pre conceptions, that are compounded by herd mentality and advertising. The old saying “a man and his wallet are easily departed” is so relevant.

Let us all take time to respect the flock that have fallen for deception. Whilst also acknowledging another brilliant company that have successfully sold the illusion of the pipe dream once again.

Top Bottom