• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 121 24.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 4.9%

• Total voters

MAB

Major Contributor
I personally don't see the value of all these dac variations from performance point of view. I test them because they vary in availability, looks, price, functionality, support, etc.
Agreed this dizzying array of DACs is not exactly ideal. But I am glad they are tested here. And I am glad we can have a debate over the value, and contrast to the rest of the market. We may not agree on value, but we can at least debate! Perhaps this got a bit messy, but thanks! And thanks again to the owner who has given us something like this Dave DAC to go off the rails on!

Toku

Major Contributor
The price of $14000 is just amazing. No matter how I evaluate it, it's only worth less than $1400.
Is the brand CHORD a product similar to Chanel and Louis Vuitton in the fashion world?
The people who purchase CHORD products are probably those who find value in the brand name rather than the performance of the equipment.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Actually, a properly engineered and made SMPS is cleaner than linear, sometimes by much!
I have no issue with good SMPS's firstly... but it is funny to read in a few other forums where people are modifying their Dave to run an external linear PS. Apparently it's quite the 'upgrade', veils and all. :facepalm:

JSmith

Ho god, we're going to have another interview of RW now ... Prepare you gibberish translators folks. I'm sure he will have a perfect explanation on the dancing noise floor on blue channel... Surely from the -301 dB digital modulations to enhance the depth perception. I'm sure this Dac sound goo,d a lot of people praise it. But does it justifies it's crazy price ?

YSC

Major Contributor
Ho god, we're going to have another interview of RW now ... Prepare you gibberish translators folks. I'm sure he will have a perfect explanation on the dancing noise floor on blue channel... Surely from the -301 dB digital modulations to enhance the depth perception. I'm sure this Dac sound goo,d a lot of people praise it. But does it justifies it's crazy price ?
Actually I am more worried if the quality control or longevity issue.

Passing the mark of 16bit SINAD basically I would say it’s practically indifferent from one another, just functionality and personal satisfaction on the said design, brand etc. for wealthy ppl it’s of course worth it as long as it’s worth and the extra psychological effects make them happier than buying a equal performing $9 dongle just go say. Much like the colour of stitching’s on the seat of a Porsche Costing an arm… but when said luxury product don’t go into luxury class longevity there’s a problem

Tks

Major Contributor
I don't understand one part about the subjective review. Turn up the volume and there is shrillness/too much HF attenuation? I don't understand how when the brickwall filter is essentially flawless, and it's not like anyone here can hear anything up to 22.05kHz anyway. In the measurements, I'm not seeing attenuation of any frequencies lower than that, so I'm confused as to what's being actually spoken about in this portion.

vlad335

Forum Donor
No doubt RW sent instructions out to his flying monkeys to set up another "interview" on YouTube.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't understand one part about the subjective review. Turn up the volume and there is shrillness/too much HF attenuation? I don't understand how when the brickwall filter is essentially flawless, and it's not like anyone here can hear anything up to 22.05kHz anyway. In the measurements, I'm not seeing attenuation of any frequencies lower than that, so I'm confused as to what's being actually spoken about in this portion.
It is the headphone amp distorting as it runs out of juice to drive those headphones. The DAC is fine.

MAB

Major Contributor
I thought Amir was referring to the onset of clipping the headphone amplifier. I don't think it had to do with the filter or DAC details, I think he ran the amp out of power on his Dan Clark Stealth. My takeaway is the headphone section is not adequate for power-hungry headphones. Otherwise OK.

vlad335

Forum Donor
Amir said high frequency accentuation. IE: the amp was running out of gas

chesebert

It is the headphone amp distorting as it runs out of juice to drive those headphones. The DAC is fine.
Hmm. You only need 1mw to reach 85db SPL with Stealth @ .12v RMS. Why do you say Dave does not have enough power? How loud do you typically listen at?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing is more boring than DACs. They reached commodity point long ago. Audiophiles still want new stuff to fiddle with though, so they keep stuffing them in new boxes :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hmm. You only need 1mw to reach 85db SPL with Stealth @ .12v RMS. Why do you say Dave does not have enough power? How loud do you typically listen at?

85dB peak is about 70dB average SPL which is merely background listening level.
One needs to be able to reach at least 100dB SPL undistorted peaks for decently loud levels.

chesebert

85dB peak is about 70dB average SPL which is merely background listening level.
One needs to be able to reach at least 100dB SPL undistorted peaks for decently loud levels.
Good god that’s loud.

2mw to get to 90db SPL and 20mw to get to 100db SPL.

dc655321

Major Contributor

The review found nearly 600mV to reach 94dB SPL.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nope. Watch this:

Top Bottom