• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chinese phono pre-amps?

knubbze

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll be the t*rd in the punchbowl, since we're on ASR, and remind you that subjective reviews are worth what you pay for them. If you can send it to Amir, you can get a meaningful review.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you reviewed the ASR tested phono stages?

drewdawg999

Those Chinese offerings seem pretty dicey to me. Total crapshoot, you might luck out and land a winner but who knows. I would go with a nice Darlington Labs MM unit, go as high up the line as you can afford.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to see one of those Darlington Labs MP-7 pass by Amir. The MM-5 review he did didn't paint a rosy picture.

Of course the new Schiit Skoll and Parks Waxwing are on the horizon and would like to see those tested also.
All you need do is buy one and send it in....

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You could buy them for me and then I'll forward them to Amir :D
Just sayin' just wishing without doing doesn't mean a lot. I have no need for another phono stage, little use for the several I have.

radix

Major Contributor
I've been looking at some of the Chinese offerings; and made a shortlist (in price descending order):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004639586655.html <--- I'm leaning towards this one, per the couple of reviews

Could anyone give me any input or suggestions, please?

Many thanks!

What is the rest of the system? What line-level preamp do you use?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been looking at some of the Chinese offerings; and made a shortlist (in price descending order):

Too expensive - go for the trusted and very good measured Cambridge Audio Duo.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004639586655.html <--- I'm leaning towards this one, per the couple of reviews
Nope. The AD712 I see in the pics is much too noisy for a phono preamp even for MM, and especially for MC. For the latter you need at least two gain stages but there is only one so distortion is too high as well (not enough loop gain).
"Sorry, the page you requested can not be found:("
No specs - no buy. Can't detect the type of opamp.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But ya had to let everyone know .....
You were the one wishing for reviews you didn't participate in....not about me. There's not a lot involved in one, get something decent and be done with it.

drewdawg999

I'd like to see one of those Darlington Labs MP-7 pass by Amir. The MM-5 review he did didn't paint a rosy picture.

Of course the new Schiit Skoll and Parks Waxwing are on the horizon and would like to see those tested also.
Well I would like to see Amir review the MP-7 as well but doubt it'll happen. In the MM-5 review thread the owner Keith acquits himself quite well, explaining that the 2nd order harmonic that dominates the distortion level is likely inaudible (may even be a euphonic distortion). That's the main reason it wasn't recommended by Amir, but I see SINAD as unimportant wrt phono preamps. It's all limited by surface noise, only 60dB SNR.

The new Schiit Skoll looks killer. Balanced in and out. Overload characteristics look nice too, though that's where Darlington units excel.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Could anyone give me any input or suggestions, please?

Many thanks!
For the pricepoint you are looking at, and with consideration of your other gear, you should avoid ChiFi.

Consider:

Schiit Mani - $150 - Best value, MM/MC support

Cambridge ALVA Solo - $230 - MM-only, fine for your use-case

Cambridge ALVA Duo - $350 - MM/MC support

Schiit Skoll - $400 - MM/MC + Balanced XLR in/out

I recommend the Mani, but any of those options are solid, just matters what you want to spend.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Probably one of the cheapest with solid performance:

1673616717ART%20DJPRE%20II%20phono%20line%20voorversterker_2.jpg

Otherwise I would recommend the entry-level models from Pro-Ject, Cambridge Audio, Schiit and such.

mike70

For the pricepoint you are looking at, and with consideration of your other gear, you should avoid ChiFi.

Consider:

Schiit Mani - $150 - Best value, MM/MC support

Cambridge ALVA Solo - $230 - MM-only, fine for your use-case

Cambridge ALVA Duo - $350 - MM/MC support

Schiit Skoll - $400 - MM/MC + Balanced XLR in/out

I recommend the Mani, but any of those options are solid, just matters what you want to spend.

You can add the ifi zen phono to that list, also with balanced output.

ban25

You can add the ifi zen phono to that list, also with balanced output.
They say "Balanced Circuit Design" on their website, but there are NO XLR OUTPUTS on the Zen Phono. I own own, FWIW. So it has no balanced output.

I'm wrong, there is a 4.4mm output on there. Weird connector, but it is an option if you need it!

OP
K

knubbze

One of these Duo's would work well

And Amir gave it props

Thanks - bought one of those!

Top Bottom