• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CES 2024

Descartes

Major Contributor
Anyone at CES 2024 willing to post pictures of any new Audio and New Projectors?

There are plenty of videos on TVs but nothing on Projectors and TVs!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For years now there has been no audio section at CES. There are some dealer events and such but it is not a whole lot.

Projector companies go there but there is usually long lines to get in. CEDIA tends to be better in that regard.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
For years now there has been no audio section at CES. There are some dealer events and such but it is not a whole lot.

Projector companies go there but there is usually long lines to get in. CEDIA tends to be better in that regard.
Thank you, that’s unfortunate that there are no audio manufacturers at CES anymore, how about Home Theater setup?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you, that’s unfortunate that there are no audio manufacturers at CES anymore, how about Home Theater setup?
A company or two might have a stand but that is it. CES is extremely expensive to exhibit at so few audio companies bother to rent space from them (this was the reason the audio section was cancelled out years ago). Major companies like Denon and such will just have static display of AV receivers on shelves usually.

Half the show these days is about TVs. Then a bit more on smart devices and then a bunch of random companies. For that, you get to put up with major hassles of a busy show with too little access to transportation. Takes an hour to get out of there on train, taxi or even uber. Restaurants are booked 'till 10:00pm by all the companies wining and dining their dealers, customers, each other, etc. Same room that was being rented for $50 to gamblers, is now $350 because you are going to CES. :(

It is really a show to make contact with key people at companies and to enjoy the TV displays. And on that front, most of what they show at the high-end has no ship date or price. :(

It was a much better show 20 years ago than it is today.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A company or two might have a stand but that is it. CES is extremely expensive to exhibit at so few audio companies bother to rent space from them (this was the reason the audio section was cancelled out years ago). Major companies like Denon and such will just have static display of AV receivers on shelves usually.

Half the show these days is about TVs. Then a bit more on smart devices and then a bunch of random companies. For that, you get to put up with major hassles of a busy show with too little access to transportation. Takes an hour to get out of there on train, taxi or even uber. Restaurants are booked 'till 10:00pm by all the companies wining and dining their dealers, customers, each other, etc. Same room that was being rented for $50 to gamblers, is now $350 because you are going to CES. :(

It is really a show to make contact with key people at companies and to enjoy the TV displays. And on that front, most of what they show at the high-end has no ship date or price. :(

It was a much better show 20 years ago than it is today.
I went in 2015 and although there was still hifi at the show then, this is a pretty good take on CES. The fastest way back to the hotel was to walk.

Funny enough I do think it's turning into more of a general purpose tech networking / sales event than true consumer electronics. Some folks from my current employer are going, and guess what, they do high end web hosting, not electronics...

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you go to the CES website and search Harman in Floor Plans you can find an area where there a few audio companies. Audio Technica is there for example, and so is SVS and Altec Lansing, and of course Xtreme Cables.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How about projectors?
Some like Sony, and JVC are usually there. Sometimes Epson. And may have theaters built in the stand to demo them but per above, the lines and wait times are long. People seemingly stand in any line as soon as they see one!

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Some like Sony, and JVC are usually there. Sometimes Epson. And may have theaters built in the stand to demo them but per above, the lines and wait times are long. People seemingly stand in any line as soon as they see one!
Ha, ha, I don’t like crowds and even more standing in line!

beeface

Here's something I didn't expect: a Roon-compatible turntable

Samsung are going to sell a picture frame wireless speaker. I wonder if Harman were involved? It could sound surprisingly good

Who is this for?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Samsung are going to sell a picture frame wireless speaker. I wonder if Harman were involved?
One of the key researchers (and professional colleague of mine), Allan Devantier, left and started the Samsung audio lab. He carried with him many of the learnings at Harman. His focus is for soundbars, and to some extent phones. His team may have been involved in that. Interestingly, post acquisition of Harman, they retained their role independent of Harman folks. So to some extent the answer to your question is "yes" although likely Allan's group and not the rest of the folks we know from Harman.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the key researchers (and professional colleague of mine), Allan Devantier, left and started the Samsung audio lab. He carried with him many of the learnings at Harman. His focus is for soundbars, and to some extent phones. His team may have been involved in that. Interestingly, post acquisition of Harman, they retained their role independent of Harman folks. So to some extent the answer to your question is "yes" although likely Allan's group and not the rest of the folks we know from Harman.

I had many of his speaker designs like the JBL Music 2 and HLS 610. Loved them. He was involved with the Infiniti Prelude MTS and its room correction system too and also involved with rhe JBL M2. There was a period when Samsung had an ICE amp AVR that was sold at Best Buy in the Blu-Ray era, and speakers reminiscent of the JBL Studio 590 sold by Sears that sounded really good.

I will say that my 32” Q60A is the worst TV speaker I have heard in a long time, but that’s probably not where his group was involved since everything else he has worked on has been great.

beeface

The FiiO R9 streamer is probably the most interesting announcement at CES for most ASR members. On paper it looks pretty impressive:

Roon announced another overpriced PC:

McIntosh announced a new amp. It's probably going to be one of the best, if not the best, amps in the world, but the price makes it unobtainable for everyone but the 1%:

And another quirky one. FiiO is actually going to make a portable cassette player:

Top Bottom