• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cat News?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
thanks , seriously.. i needed that...:)
With a "new" Bobcat and a Gray Fox turning up around here this season, we've been extra alert for issues. One of our beast-lets didn't come home 3 nights ago and the Lady was in full freak out; I had to remind her that this happens with Poppy when the weather starts getting nice, and sure enough she rolled through later that day like she had been on a meth binge all night out at the creek. :p
And me, I'm just doing cr@p tons of yard work to keep the grass short so the predators don't have a stalking spot nearby... and up here the grass is in full growth mode like it had been raining Miracle Grow all winter. :rolleyes:

On the other side of that is one of our other beasties being diagnosed with heart disease and is on 7 meds including 3 different anticoagulants. So again with those other critters out there we are constantly worried for him, too, as any tussle he gets into could be a very serious problem. :confused:

As always, we do the best we can to take care of our friends and give them the opportunities to be at their happiest regardless the emotional cost to us. (Of course with 4 feral born cats, locking them in for "safety" would have a whole other emotional impact as they would be going apesh!t constantly trying to get back outside!)

We do what we can and hope for the best.
folded-hands_1f64f.png

Andysu

Major Contributor
:( rip furry kitty

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
i think i need a long walk and to ruminate about bmr's , (not so)mini's and happy kittens

So sorry... Hard to be part of, but knowing you did the right thing for the poor baby hopefully makes it a little better. Sucks bad though.

On the other side of that is one of our other beasties being diagnosed with heart disease and is on 7 meds including 3 different anticoagulants. So again with those other critters out there we are constantly worried for him, too, as any tussle he gets into could be a very serious problem. :confused:

Ooof. That's a punch to the gut for sure. I just lost my little guy at 6 years old to heart disease in early February, 19 months after being given 9-12 months. After the initial grieving for the years we wouldn't have together, I got on with the business of giving him the best short life I could. I'm familiar with the multi-med/multi-time per day routine, so my heart and thoughts are definitely with you. I went through a lot of techniques, so feel free to PM if you want to hear what I settled on.

So, as I have been adjusting to a pet free house for the first time in over 20 years (Lost my older girl last Summer), I ended up being sucked in by the story of a local cat in a nearby shelter who hadn't had a single adoption application in over 7 years (she's 10), and thinking that while I can't do much about the general unfairness of the world, I can at least try to make it a little better for her. So...I now have her here with me, along with a beautiful 3 year old boy who had been there for over a year and a half, and with whom she seemed to like to hang out.

He is growing into his place as the obvious king of the castle, but she will take her own time about it all. She must be feeling a little more at home, as she is starting to find the best counters to knock things off in the middle of the night, so that's a good sign. Earlier this week, she knocked a little container with 3 Turntable Cartridges in it into the sink filled with dirty dishes and dishwater, so at least she has a taste for high value targets. The world is in balance again.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With a "new" Bobcat and a Gray Fox turning up around here this season, we've been extra alert for issues. One of our beast-lets didn't come home 3 nights ago and the Lady was in full freak out; I had to remind her that this happens with Poppy when the weather starts getting nice, and sure enough she rolled through later that day like she had been on a meth binge all night out at the creek. :p
And me, I'm just doing cr@p tons of yard work to keep the grass short so the predators don't have a stalking spot nearby... and up here the grass is in full growth mode like it had been raining Miracle Grow all winter. :rolleyes:

As always, we do the best we can to take care of our friends and give them the opportunities to be at their happiest regardless the emotional cost to us. (Of course with 4 feral born cats, locking them in for "safety" would have a whole other emotional impact as they would be going apesh!t constantly trying to get back outside!)

We do what we can and hope for the best.
folded-hands_1f64f.png
yes sir.. since the sociopath LL did a disappearing act on new years(moved outta his own house with no notice , leaving me holding the responsibilities of care taking his little empire), i,ve added yard duty to my normal chores of *everything else * ....it's a buncha work... i just emphasize the cats and remember how much i love them...it's going to be interesting when i finally get to move outta here , i'm heartbroken thinking about what may happen to the cats ..

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Ooof. That's a punch to the gut for sure. I just lost my little guy at 6 years old to heart disease in early February, 19 months after being given 9-12 months. After the initial grieving for the years we wouldn't have together, I got on with the business of giving him the best short life I could. I'm familiar with the multi-med/multi-time per day routine, so my heart and thoughts are definitely with you. I went through a lot of techniques, so feel free to PM if you want to hear what I settled on.
We've got a good handle on it... as good as we can, that is. ;) Thank you.

Pimobenden, Atenilol, Clopidigrel, Salix, Benazepril, Xarelto, and baby aspirin.
A good pill splitter.
Empty capsules, chicken flavored. (Not that the last point helps. :p )
And a 14 slot am/pm pill organizer.

Enlarged heart, signs of liquid building up, and a dilated chamber with a clot forming (hence the battery of anticoagulants). Thus far his respiration is normal so his lungs are not filling up with fluid, and hiis heart rate is down from 280 the first visit to around 220 which the Cardiologist says she has seen healthy cats do in an examination. Kidney function was remaining normal on last check.

If we can get that clot to break down, then he has a chance for a good quality of life over the next... however long... could be years, even. It is the clot that is his biggest threat right now. We are 2, almost 3, months into treatment. When the cardiologist first examined him, she said untreated he would likely have only had 3-6 mos. We asked to be on a cancellation list, and got in to see her in Feb when his actual appointment wasn't scheduled until August! That may very well be the difference that helps keep him alive for a while longer.
;)

Time will tell the story, but for now, we give him everything we can of us so that he can be his best Beast for as long as is possible. He still has enough energy to be ornery to his little sister, though! :rolleyes:

DonR

Major Contributor
@ryanosaur ......some days just aren't much fun..just buried a local stray cat, face chewed off by a coyote or big dog.. poor thing staggered around the neighborhood yesterday , it was so sad.. he was probably originally one of our backyard cats that got displaced and came home to die...i buried him under a big tree where the backyard crew plays....and hopefully where my narc landlord won't park a boat over his grave, yeah he did that to my favorite cat ever... i think i need a long walk and to ruminate about bmr's , (not so)mini's and happy kittens.....edit .. this is Lucky...she's got a garbage'd out boat parked over her grave.. the joys of living in narc'villeView attachment 280474
One of the saddest days of my life was scraping my son's 1yr old tabby off the road. Male cats are prone to wander and get into trouble so it's only females for us now.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It is the clot that is his biggest threat right now.

Yes, that's the scary scenario for sure. It was a huge relief when the clot my guy started with cleared, and I could worry about the normal stuff. I hope that shows progress as you go along.

I ended up with a small mortar/pestle, mixed the ground up drug mix in with about 2mg of wet food in a syringe with threaded plunger/top, and that's basically one small mouthful he couldn't spit out if I put it in the corner of his cheek. Those gel pills seemed to get sticky, and I'd end up finding little pimobendan tablets occasionally he managed to stow away and spit out.

He's lucky to have you looking after him. It's not a trivial thing.

tw 2022

One of the saddest days of my life was scraping my son's 1yr old tabby off the road. Male cats are prone to wander and get into trouble so it's only females for us now.
Yes they do, even sometimes after they are fixed.. I have a male orange tabby I'm taking with me when i leave here, I'm scared to death he'll end up roadkill, but i can't leave him here to die from neglect.. He's pretty chill and smart though, and his sister or brother will come with too...that might help.. Sorry to hear about your kitty, that musta been a tough day.. It wasn't as bad today for me as it could have been , all 9 backyard cats and 6 indoor cats are still here and ( fingers crossed) safe...thanks for the support, being a cat parent , especially when the responsibility is thrust upon you, can be tough on days like this..

tw 2022

We've got a good handle on it... as good as we can, that is. ;) Thank you.

Pimobenden, Atenilol, Clopidigrel, Salix, Benazepril, Xarelto, and baby aspirin.
A good pill splitter.
Empty capsules, chicken flavored. (Not that the last point helps. :p )
And a 14 slot am/pm pill organizer.

Enlarged heart, signs of liquid building up, and a dilated chamber with a clot forming (hence the battery of anticoagulants). Thus far his respiration is normal so his lungs are not filling up with fluid, and hiis heart rate is down from 280 the first visit to around 220 which the Cardiologist says she has seen healthy cats do in an examination. Kidney function was remaining normal on last check.

If we can get that clot to break down, then he has a chance for a good quality of life over the next... however long... could be years, even. It is the clot that is his biggest threat right now. We are 2, almost 3, months into treatment. When the cardiologist first examined him, she said untreated he would likely have only had 3-6 mos. We asked to be on a cancellation list, and got in to see her in Feb when his actual appointment wasn't scheduled until August! That may very well be the difference that helps keep him alive for a while longer.
;)

Time will tell the story, but for now, we give him everything we can of us so that he can be his best Beast for as long as is possible. He still has enough energy to be ornery to his little sister, though! :rolleyes:
We( i) had to put a great female cat down a couple years back from massive fluid build up around her heart and lungs .. It came on pretty quickly, it was very sad .. That got the indoor total down to 6 cats...Best wishes to your little guy..i can tell he's very much family...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Yes, that's the scary scenario for sure. It was a huge relief when the clot my guy started with cleared, and I could worry about the normal stuff. I hope that shows progress as you go along.

I ended up with a small mortar/pestle, mixed the ground up drug mix in with about 2mg of wet food in a syringe with threaded plunger/top, and that's basically one small mouthful he couldn't spit out if I put it in the corner of his cheek. Those gel pills seemed to get sticky, and I'd end up finding little pimobendan tablets occasionally he managed to stow away and spit out.

He's lucky to have you looking after him. It's not a trivial thing.
I've got the pill technique down pretty good, now. Had a series of spit-outs early on... now its only when I don't get them in quite far enough. ;)

tw 2022

I've got the pill technique down pretty good, now. Had a series of spit-outs early on... now its only when I don't get them in quite far enough. ;)
Does your cat need to be "burrito'd" or is he pretty chill about the pill taking...?

tw 2022

:( rip furry kitty
Thanks, I'm happy it wasn't one of the "15" residents .. But it still was a bit traumatic... Poor little guy was a mess and we knew he wasn't long for the world, the only option other than just letting him expire was a pellet gun solution, i wasn't down for that, mistakes can be made , i wasn't living with making his suffering worse due to a mistake.. I have faith he was in shock and not suffering too badly..

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Does your cat need to be "burrito'd" or is he pretty chill about the pill taking...?
No burritoing the cat.
Learning how to grip their head is good for this guy. He was pretty stubborn at first, but now it’s going very smoothly.

Top Bottom