• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My HDMI over cat 7 Plan worked!!!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 69358
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 69358

On my living room system I upgraded all speaker wires to 14ga copper. The stuff I had been using is various wire accumulated over the years most of it over 20 years old. Basically the wire that comes with HTIB systems. Nothing fancy, just bulk speaker wire. The problem was, to run the 4 back/sides for 7.1 meant a pretty heft wire bundle and no way to hide it.

I went to go pick up the VSX-92TXH at the Salvation army, apparently I was 30 minutes late in getting my pickup from the auction. So I told them to cancel. Probably for the best since running the speaker wires would still be a problem, just from two different amps.

I could never find any definitive answer as to exporting the 7.1 signal from the HDMI sub zone, only that Zone 2 is stereo only.

So I bought a 4K HDMI over Ethernet extender with loop out. Put it inline from the Roku to Onkyo TX-NR696, then ran a cat 7 cable from that to my old Onkyo TX-NR656. Enabled Atmos on the Roku and set both receivers to 7.1. Connected the back surrounds to the Onkyo TX-NR656 and wow, like a whole new audio track. So now will run the 4 back surrounds off the Onkyo TX-NR656 and the run the 3 fronts from the Onkyo TX-NR696 and only have 1 thin cable to run to the back of the room under the carpet and baseboards.

One thing I noticed is that the 4K HDMI over Ethernet extender appears to have boosted the HDMI signal because with it inline and before connecting the Onkyo TX-NR656, my normal listening level of -20 now only needs to be -25

Top Bottom