• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can't we all just get along?

77SunsetStrip

Why "Take Danny out of the equation"? This thread exists because HE made a video full of personal attacks and false information. Of course he has taken down that video by now. Honi soit qui mal y pense...

P.S. There is no "objective camp", at least not in my mind. It's people like Danny that seek such a divide.

Agree that Danny did a poorly thought out video. However, the reality is ASR has been been insulting and making false statements about him for at least 2 years before his latest video.

There has always been objective and subjective camps in audio. Utter nonsense to say people like Danny seek a divide. Your attitude is exactly what promotes a divide.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

goat76

Major Contributor
Like you, I am a student of sound reproduction, but still in grade school. Evey week I find another way in which I am a living example of the "Dunning Kruger" effect, whereby people who are not well educated in a subject not only make mistakes, they also think they're smarter than they really are about it. You, too, perhaps?

I am getting smarter as I go along, but I just don't always know how much I in fact don't know about a given subject, and that's when I make errors. Read the research, then re-think your paradigm of "base-sound" vs stereo/multi-channel/spatial sound. These are indeed parts of the whole, but the parts go together differently than you and Danny assume in a world of "let me tell you, everybody knows that ....", etc assumptions.
I was wrong to start my reply to Doodski with "I disagree with that". If you read the rest of the text following that sentence you see that I actually agreed with what he said, that some aspects of the "base sound" of the speakers could be easier to hear with a single speaker. :)

The thing I wanted to point out is a simple fact, you can never hear any stereo effects using just one single speaker in mono, and all speakers will have their own "stereo characteristics" that will follow them no matter which room you set them up in. Some will sound wider, some narrower, some deeper, and some will have a little bit of everything, a big soundstage in every direction.

Can you hear if a certain speaker has a wider soundstage or image better than another speaker just by listening to them in mono, how do they do when it comes to stereo separation? Maybe you can go over some of the reviews of the speakers here on ASR, and just by looking at the measurements and reading Amir's listening test tell me if they have a wide or narrow stereo field?

I want to know, and according to yourself, you know these things way better than I do.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I was wrong to start my reply to Doodski with "I disagree with that". If you read the rest of the text following that sentence you see that I actually agreed with what he said, that some aspects of the "base sound" of the speakers could be easier to hear with a single speaker. :)

The thing I wanted to point out is a simple fact, you can never hear any stereo effects using just one single speaker in mono, and all speakers will have their own "stereo characteristics" that will follow them no matter which room you set them up in. Some will sound wider, some narrower, some deeper, and some will have a little bit of everything, a big soundstage in every direction.

Can you hear if a certain speaker has a wider soundstage or image better than another speaker just by listening to them in mono, how do they do when it comes to stereo separation? Maybe you can go over some of the reviews of the speakers here on ASR, and just by looking at the measurements and reading Amir's listening test tell me if they have a wide or narrow stereo field?

I want to know, and according to yourself, you know these things way better than I do.
See post #352. The studies were done and books written by the very top minds in Audio. Or you can believe what ever happens to make you happy. Do you happen to have any scientific evidence or studies to back up your theories?

goat76

Major Contributor
See post #352. The studies were done and books written by the very top minds in Audio. Or you can believe what ever happens to make you happy. Do you happen to have any scientific evidence or studies to back up your theories?
I'm quite sure Toole was not talking about the stereo effects I'm talking about, certainly not how a speaker will do when it comes to width and stereo separation compared to another speaker. Maybe you can tell me how that is done?

AdamG

Forum Donor
I'm quite sure Toole was not talking about the stereo effects I'm talking about, certainly not how a speaker will do when it comes to width and stereo separation compared to another speaker. Maybe you can tell me how that is done?
I’m not the one challenging the science. You are. That means you need to support your counter argument and not kick the can back towards me and not answer the challenge of do you have any science or studies that prove your hypothesis?

Maybe this video will help you: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...measurements-and-listening-tests-video.25825/

goat76

Major Contributor
I’m not the one challenging the science. You are. That means you need to support your counter argument and not kick the can back towards me and not answer the challenge of do you have any science or studies that prove your hypothesis?
You see, I don't challenge any science when I say that no one can hear stereo effects from a single speaker playing in mono. If you have another view on that you are the one challenging the science.

The things you can hear when you are listening to a single speaker in mono, are the spatial effects of different distances to the recorded sound object in the recording, but no stereo effects.

AdamG

Forum Donor
You see, I don't challenge any science when I say that no one can hear stereo effects from a single speaker playing in mono. If you have another view on that you are the one challenging the science.
:facepalm:. Did you even look at the video or the Source links in the link I posted above? Your next answer will determine whether you are here to contribute or Troll. I suggest you take some time to at least peruse the info I linked above in post 363.

Here is another link to provide you the information you seek. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/speaker-testing-why-mono-is-better.21681/

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He is not. As he mentioned you are not bothering to look at the research that shows no speaker that does well in mono, loses in stereo. That aside, if you pan the volume from right to left, the stereo image shifts from right to left. Right? That should tell you that much of what you think as stereo image is in the content. Some of the other is in dispersion of speaker which is absolutely audible in mono (explained in video).

But let's say 5% remains. That would depend on room and miraculous ability of a reviewer to detect and distinguish from other speakers he has tested. What good is this for you? Have you read the reviews of speakers from those that listen in stereo? It just word salad, repeated and inconsistent with other reviews. With no measurements to back it, anything goes.

The goal of any speaker test needs to be to determine how neutral it is, how much distortion it has, its bass extension and dynamic ability. All of this is clearer in mono, than stereo. You surely don't want to screw this part of up to go after that nebulous 5%.

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agree that Danny did a poorly thought out video. However, the reality is ASR has been been insulting and making false statements about him for at least 2 years before his latest video.

I don't know anything about that (please provide examples) and he also gives no examples what exactly led to his video. In his video he makes a bunch of personal attacks and spreads false information. Amir took the time to address most of it in a few short videos you can find on YouTube. For a meaningful discussion Danny should have made the same and address each "bark" of us "dogs". He did not and he also did not in the last video. That's not how you have a meaningful discussion nor "educate people" (he claims that would be his intention).
And, ASR is not one person. It's not even a group of people that would follow the same ideology. Unless you think science is an ideology. Of course it's not but the term "scientism" does indeed exist and many examples can be given. In any case, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
There has always been objective and subjective camps in audio. Utter nonsense to say people like Danny seek a divide. Your attitude is exactly what promotes a divide.
Not really. There's people that see audio reproduction for what it is, an engineering task. Then there's a group of cargo cultists that are fascinated by these "products of science" without actually being interested in science, more like in science fiction – "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" (Clarke). Now add the great emotional impact music has on us humans to the mix (pun intended) and the confusion is complete. Such people are easy prey to people like Danny selling them a new crossover for their speaker and explaining the benefits by showing a 1/3 octave measurement because "it's the industry standard". It's not. Time to wake up!

Last edited:

markus

The things you can hear when you are listening to a single speaker in mono, are the spatial effects of different distances to the recorded sound object in the recording, but no stereo effects.

"Apparent source width" (ASW) is part of sound perception. You can hear differences in ASW even with a single speaker. Please get Toole "Sound reproduction" where the basics are explained in detail.

JSmith

Master Contributor
However, the reality is ASR has been been insulting
Maybe you don't know... Amir contacted him prior to reviewing the LGK and he was dismissive of everything done here. So there was an opportunity given to work positively with Amir on the results... chose his path.

JSmith

Vuki

It's just spatial rating in relation to program material, but I can't imagine it wouldn't have impact on overall sound quality perception. Unfortunately additional research data are lost...
index.php

goat76

Major Contributor
"Apparent source width" (ASW) is part of sound perception. You can hear differences in ASW even with a single speaker. Please get Toole "Sound reproduction" where the basics are explained in detail.
Yes, I'm sure that has an impact on how you perceive the sound of different speakers in a single speaker test, but it is still not a stereo effect you hear. For the stereo effects to be heard you still need a minimum of two sound sources playing in stereo. That should be clear to everyone here.

I repeat the following:
The things you can hear when you are listening to a single speaker in mono, are the spatial effects of different distances to the recorded sound object in the recording, but you will never hear any stereo effects from a single speaker playing in mono.

I don't know why Amir and Adam think I'm arguing against the benefits that come with the single speaker test? I have already earlier in this thread said it got its benefits for determining the "base sounds" of a speaker. But for me, I also want to know the speaker's "stereo characteristics" that can only be heard by actually listening to them in stereo, and that part is much more important to me than the 5 % Amir thinks that is worth. It can "make or brake" the whole experience for me and will be an important factor if I like the speakers or not.

And yes... I have seen Amir's video about the "single speaker test", this was done already when he posted it the first time. I have also read about it and debated about it to know why people think it's the only listening test that is needed. I simply don't share that view, if that's okay on this forum?

Oh, by the way, it's okay for me if Amir doesn't want to listen to the speakers in stereo for his review, that's completely up to him.

Last edited:

markus

Yes, I'm sure that has an impact on how you perceive the sound of different speakers in a single speaker test, but it is still not a stereo effect you hear. For the stereo effects to be heard you still need a minimum of two sound sources playing in stereo. That should be clear to everyone here.

I repeat the following:
The things you can hear when you are listening to a single speaker in mono, are the spatial effects of different distances to the recorded sound object in the recording, but you will never hear any stereo effects from a single speaker playing in mono.
Define "stereo effects". ASW and envelopment are "stereo effects". You can hear them with just a single speaker. You really need to read up on the topic if you want to have a meaningful discussion here.
I don't know why Amir and Adam think I'm arguing against the benefits that come with the single speaker test?
Because of what you keep on saying?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Can anyone point to the part of Toole's mono research that specifically uses speakers with strongly asymmetric polar patterns that are deliberately built in to optimize stereo? E.g., AR MGC, NHT 3.3...? I have not seen this and it seems like a major limitation of the applicability of his results, but I freely admit I may have missed this part.

markus

Can anyone point to the part of Toole's mono research that specifically uses speakers with strongly asymmetric polar patterns that are deliberately built in to optimize stereo? E.g., AR MGC, NHT 3.3...? I have not seen this and it seems like a major limitation of the applicability of his results, but I freely admit I may have missed this part.
I don't know of such research from Toole. Not sure why you think it's a major limitation? To me Toole's testing methodology is just the base of more extensive testing and research others (we?) still have to do.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't know of such research from Toole. Not sure why you think it's a major limitation? To me Toole's testing methodology is just the base of more extensive testing and research others (we?) still have to do.
It limits the applicability to the sorts of speakers used to create the "rule." I.e., speakers with forward-firing largely symmetric polar patterns.

markus

It limits the applicability to the sorts of speakers used to create the "rule." I.e., speakers with forward-firing largely symmetric polar patterns.
Not necessarily (if the person looking at the data is knowledgeable enough) but I can think of examples where it certainly would. I think the deeper question is whether stereo can be "optimized" by asymmetric polar patterns. What does "optimize" even mean? Time-intensity trading for a bigger sweet spot? More spaciousness? All of this comes with even more tradeoffs.

Top Bottom