• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can your audio system be too transparent?

I think Steve's piece addresses why a lot of ASR measurements are bullshit.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
"Depends on a lotta circumstances." Bah! If it's cleaner and more better spec wise then it is. It's physics and laws being answered and proved.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think Steve's piece addresses why a lot of ASR measurements are bullshit.

Do you mean the measurements are incorrect or that they don't mean much?

They are what they are, a tool to guide selection. You're linking the wrong critic if you want a meaningful dialogue here.

Archsam

I always wondered how a transparent system will sound.

Transparent.jpg

OP
M
Do you mean the measurements are incorrect or that they don't mean much?

They are what they are, a tool to guide selection. You're linking the wrong critic if you want a meaningful dialogue here.

Yep. I can see that. I'm gone. BYE

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. I can see that. I'm gone. BYE

But the piece didn't explain why ASR measurements are bullshit.

Why would I want a system that can flatter crap recordings? I'll enjoy a crap recording if its a crap recording of good music. If it's a simple case of missing bass, or too shrill, I might do a quick eq. Or just listen

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great restaurants reveal how terrible bad food is. Therefore we should strive for crappier restaurants so that bad food seems a little bit less bad
Im confused as to why the (bullshit) video shows ASR measurments to be bullshit. I guess we will never know.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Im confused as to why the (bullshit) video shows ASR measurments to be bullshit. I guess we will never know.

not only that, but i don’t even think Steve is talking about measurements at all (in the way ASR does things). He’s just talking about any really great (according to his own standards) system. He’s equating “transparent” with what he’d describe in one of his speaker reviews as “revealing.”

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
not only that, but i don’t even think Steve is talking about measurements at all (in the way ASR does things). He’s just talking about any really great (according to his own standards) system. He’s equating “transparent” with what he’d describe in one of his speaker reviews as “revealing.”
My thinking too.

BigJim79

Member @MissMarplesexbomb has been banned , disingenuous and here to troll only it would seem to me.

He was allowed to post far too much before that action was taken. Just reading his first couple of posts back from July it was blatantly obvious he was a wind up merchant! Good that he's gone though, I read his posts non chronologically and it was like the end of a great book seeing him banned. Bravo.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
And yet, we’re not overflowing with sexbombs.

Top Bottom