• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the VU Meter renaissance?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Specifically about VU meters,is about an illusion of control.
I,on the other side prefer V and A meters and it's one of the reasons I choose my specific amp modules as they have (scaled,analog) outputs ready to show you.

olieb

Why is appearance so important in audio, even for objectivists. :facepalm:
I guess with all the time and money spent for the audio hobby many people want something (cool) to show.
"Sound" just doesn't do that very well, VU-meters and other bling do.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is also a visual representation of one's signal/music...
Therefore kinda cool.
Prefer a frequency spectrum visualiser myself.

Todd k

Forum Donor
plus one for the visuals. Us old peeps that grew up in the 70’s love us some dancing needles. Amir’s review of the new vu meters got me to order one. Big plus groovy changing colors. Mite have to play some acid rock and lite one.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
if you were given a black box like a NAD 2200

or something like a AS-3200

and they sounded the same and you were willing to pay a premium for the VU meters then many would just pay the extra

as much as i like black boxes there's something wonderful about them VUs in a fine finished case

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am gonna blame the current high inflation and the rising cost of living!
You see, the above has many people depressed, and what do you do when times are hard, and you are depressed? You remember the good ole' times!
:facepalm:

Chr1

Forum Donor
Also, reminds me of setting the levels back in the days of recording onto cassette tape. Many moons ago...

OP
tinnitus

tinnitus

Luckily I still have my old TT, so I can dig that out too :)

Cooper

I enjoy looking at the meters on my Luxman as i listen to LPs and watch them dance in relation to what i'm hearing out of the left and right speaker

ErVikingo

Funny, I would like to have some visual representation for the fun of it all

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Why do you need to ask..? I never stopped liking VU meters..so maybe that is why I bought this ,.. measures well too.
IMG_1255.png

And the peak function tells me my power margin( voltage actually) is sufficient, normal listening is at -30 to -10dB

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Or not. To me they were a tool then, and remain a tool now. Sticking them in places they don't need to be is a useless distraction I'd rather not waste money on.
To me they have a "Trying too hard" look, too.

DMill

Forum Donor
The same reason I have an $800 Abel fishing reel. It’s as good as any reel made, but certainly no better than many cheaper ones. And I’m objective enough to be 100% certain it’s not helping me catch fish any better. It’s just pretty, so I can spend my disposable income on something I love or blow it betting on the Buffalo Bills this Sunday. Go Bills

Top Bottom