• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Oh man it's getting serious. Being the loving fellow I am. I keep a war club bestowed upon me in New Zealand by a great co-worker and a great
mechanic. As a mechanic I always prided myself in my auto defense method. Two Jacks wake me up and and the war club comes out. If all else fails (it hasn't
twice in 50 years). I grab my machete I carry at all times in my old truck and a fixed blade for cutting seatbelts and armpits as needed.
It's just a reflex with me and I'm old I would rather beat and cut my way to make an honest person from a would be thief. If my training method does nothing
to encourage them to change their ways, the "T" I carved into their foreheads will remove all doubt from their potential next victim. In other words if you see
the "T", give him/her a whack they deserve it.

I had to use weapons to protect myself and others in a bad situation in another country. I never want to have to do that again. Sometimes being the mechanic
is not a good thing for the mechanic. I like fixing thing. I've never cared for combat. Blowing stuff up is fun though. God bless C-4 and an M14 if all else fails.
I like helmets. You set on um, so you don't get shot in the balls, ass is ok. BALLS are rough.

Now about that vinyl and an GE mini gun. God bless the GE battery I say. LOL
I like Dillon's goodies too.

What would you rather have 1000 bullets with one gun, or a thousand guns with 1 bullet? Just asking. There won't be a test, BUT I do pick my neighbors
that don't lock themselves out of their car once a week. If your gonna have friends, make sure they are part of the answer not part of problem.

10 years ago we had neighbors that dressed in body armor from the days of jousting. I just ran him over. Joust hell. Bumper 1996 Ford F150 EB special.
Who's next? He came back and shot a hole in his girlfriends car. He thought it was mine. That got him arrested with the big dent from the night before
in his breast plate. Hard to miss the "ching" in his armor. English long bow will fix that. See no need for firearms. UNLESS IT GETS NASTY. I like a B.A.R.
old school.

Regards

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll be well protected should you be set upon by a gang of vinyl-preaching nutjobs armed only with protractors! ;-)
I was attacked by some people (from PETA, I think) because I had a shirt with a kangaroo on the front with a red circle around & a slash though the kangaroo,
with the word AUSTRIA (where I was born) underneath. They thought that I wanted to kill all kangaroos when all it meant is that there are no kangaroos in Austria.
Does that count for anything?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was attacked by some people (from PETA, I think) because I had a shirt with a kangaroo on the front with a red circle around & a slash though the kangaroo,
with the word AUSTRIA (where I was born) underneath. They thought that I wanted to kill all kangaroos when all it meant is that there are no kangaroos in Austria.
Does that count for anything?
You mean, like in a discussion of the LP renaissance?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean, like in a discussion of the LP renaissance?
yes, from my viewpoint, rather like that. For no apparent reason these women started raising hell with me. Similarities in the differences, too. I like Austria and they apparently like kangaroos. Naturally I can't also like and enjoy kangaroos because I like Austria. Yep, it's definitely similar. It is apparently not possible to like and enjoy both for what they are.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
yes, from my viewpoint, rather like that. For no apparent reason these women started raising hell with me. Similarities in the differences, too. I like Austria and they apparently like kangaroos. Naturally I can't also like and enjoy kangaroos because I like Austria. Yep, it's definitely similar. It is apparently not possible to like and enjoy both for what they are.
And you weren't in Florida or rural Alberta so you didn't just shoot them? Guess I've gotten lost a bit here too.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Looks like this Train has fully derailed. While not an official Review Thread, where we work harder to keep the conversation on track. In Threads like this, Topic drift is part and parcel of a lively and interactive discussion. We normally indulge Thread Drift in the hope that the group will eventually return to the Thread topic.

However, Some of the Drift is dancing uncomfortably close to Politics. Gun talk can be divisive when you consider that we have a global audience and not every Country has the same views about Guns. Walking this thread into this conversation, if left to continue, will probably not bode well. So let’s move this conversation back on topic before we have to start deleting posts and taking other Moderation steps.

Please and thank you for your support and understanding…;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You'll be well protected should you be set upon by a gang of vinyl-preaching nutjobs armed only with protractors! ;-)
They already have a hole in the center. LOL

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t follow what any of you are talking about any more.

Or, for this forum, as I put it earlier:

Can anyone explain the vinyl resistance?

:p

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Or, for this forum, as I put it earlier:

Can anyone explain the vinyl resistance?
Easy, Too much distortion of the master tapes sound.
Same as tube gear
Still living with 1960's technology.

But hey, if that's the kind of thing some folks like, enjoy.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
87 pages later…..a resounding Not yet. :cool:
I must disagree, at the possible cost of a merit point!
I am inclined to credit many for posting their views on the subject matter, no matter how insulting it is to have members that prefer to have the 10 second synopsis at the push of a button...
sad.gif

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I can’t follow what any of you are talking about any more.

or Can anyone explain the vinyl resistance?

Simple answer. Four groups.
Group 1 - those who kept their vinyl from the days when vinyl was “it” and continue to purchase when they want to.
Group 2 - those who discovered vinyl for the first time and thought it was cool. This seems to have started about 15 years ago.
Group 3 - those who ditched their vinyl for CD’s and later decided to get back to vinyl in some minor or major way.
Group 4 - those who ditched their vinyl for CD’s and never looked back.

Groups 1,2,&3 are the drivers of the “renaissance”. Group 4 is where you will primarily find the “resistance“.

This might be the end of the story except certain folks in either camp cannot accept anyone’s view other than their own. My way or the highway sort of thing. Certainly this is not limited to discussions about vinyl. As Adam pointed out, other countries citizens see the previously mentioned gun ownership as appalling. Not something they are used to and may find frightening. Respecting another cultures or individual’s perspective is often a first step towards understanding and beneficial relationships. Possibly Sal and Matt Hooper could share a beer and a few laughs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Looks like this Train has fully derailed. While not an official Review Thread, where we work harder to keep the conversation on track. In Threads like this, Topic drift is part and parcel of a lively and interactive discussion. We normally indulge Thread Drift in the hope that the group will eventually return to the Thread topic.
BTW Adam,
We have a number of threads supporting the same conversation & debates running right now.
Why not just close some or merge them.

The Truth About Vinyl Records​

Vinyl will always sound *different* than digital, right?

Anywho, Discussion of the personal protection of life and property, whether guns, knives, a baseball bat, or hand to hand combat is a lot more interesting than rice krispies. LOL :p

levimax

Major Contributor
Anywho, Discussion of the personal protection of life and property, whether guns, knives, a baseball bat, or hand to hand combat is a lot more interesting than rice krispies. LOL :p
Maybe you should start a new "citizens guns and combat thread"... I think it would be quite popular but not sure how long it would stay open :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Simple answer. Four groups.
Your missing one of the biggest most important groups I'll call the Mikey Fremer group.
The ones that believe all the BS that has been written everywhere from the high end mags to the internet
on the magical sound of vinyl.
That's why ASR was created, to combat all the snake-oil peddled in audio today.
Cheers.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Your missing one of the biggest most important groups I'll call the Mikey Fremer group.
The ones that believe all the BS that has been written everywhere from the high end mags to the internet
on the magical sound of vinyl.
That's why ASR was created, to combat all the snake-oil peddled in audio today.
Cheers.
That is covered by my post. Fremer is in Group 1 and may also be one of those individuals professing “my way or the highway”.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Group 4 - those who ditched their vinyl for CD’s and never looked back.
I'd like to take a vote to include:
Group#5 - those who ditched their vinyl for CDs (#4) and then ditched their CDs for a digital media library.
Group#6 - those in Group#5 who ditched their digital media library and now do music streaming.

...Possibly Sal and Matt Hooper could share a beer and a few laughs.
This is our pub and we are all music lovers, no matter how we get it to our ear canals.

Top Bottom