• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First you start with a machined aluminum disk built to some specific dimensions. Then it has to be coated with some precision with the very flammable lacquer from which it gets its name. Now do it for only $35-$40 each in quantities of one. It should tell you something that the plant making them in the US burned to the ground; lacquer burns quite fiercely. I imagine (without any real proof) that getting a permit or the like to build or renovate a place to do this sort of thing might be a trick in many states.
Okay - but hazardous things are produced to precision every day by manufacturers. Given the price you state, I can only imagine that there have been few companies willing to invest the capital required to make these things at that price and volume. My understanding was the burned plant was very old and likely operated with fully depreciated equipment. This is not exactly some newfangled technology here.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my main rig there is no way, unless a very good needle drop is to be found can digital compete with certain pressings I have simply because they are not available. I use Amazon for my streaming & have stored CD's that never come out. My viny/ digital time is split 50-50. My Feickert/ Grado Sonata 3 definitely blows away any analog rig I've had before & I don't need high $ phono pre's to get there. 1 thing is for sure.. some of the pressings coming from AS are over the top good & very hard for digital to compete with on certain pressings. This is what I hear & actually not even close on some
I’ve come to believe that much of the “magic” in vinyl comes from the mastering and the non-neutral reproduction components, like cartridges. That said, I have some vinyl records that if somebody were to reach for them, they’d pull back a nub!

1658798675188.gif

I always laugh when people use digital needledrops to compare analog components, giving a subtle nod to the notion that the digital stream is much less colored than the components being evaluated.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll probably become a pariah for saying this, but here goes. I'm guessing that the low-level but ever present background noise from vinyl is one of the attractions. It will cover up imperfections in the playback system, like crossover distortion and intermod.

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Okay - but hazardous things are produced to precision every day by manufacturers. Given the price you state, I can only imagine that there have been few companies willing to invest the capital required to make these things at that price and volume. My understanding was the burned plant was very old and likely operated with fully depreciated equipment. This is not exactly some newfangled technology here.
I agree! And if someone were to pull it off they'd have an instant market!
I'll probably become a pariah for saying this, but here goes. I'm guessing that the low-level but ever present background noise from vinyl is one of the attractions. It will cover up imperfections in the playback system, like crossover distortion and intermod.
Not all LPs have an 'ever present background noise'; that's done to a variety of factors and it is a very common misconception. I've seen them so quiet (as mentioned earlier) that the electronics was defining the noise floor. FWIW if you have crossover distortion, noise isn't going to cover it up (unless you have a prodigious amount of noise!)- that sort of thing is very audible. And points to either a design flaw in something (typically the power amp) or improperly set (insufficient) bias in said amp.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That doesn't make sense to me. I have vinyl where I can not perceive the background noise from my listening seat (e.g. between tracks). And I certainly can't hear it during many music tracks. If I can not hear (or barely hear) some background noise from my seat with no music playing, I don't see how I'd be hearing it while playing Van Halen.

sq225917

Major Contributor
It's always there, around -60db between tracks, it's inescapable, the combination of rumble, warps, tracing noise, transistor roar, Johnson noise and many others. Of course being pretty much pure noise it's inoffensive, mostly.

That quite a lot of people prefer vinyl over digital has to tell us that lowest noise is only one factor in musical enjoyment.

Truth be told there's no single reason why any one person should prefer one format over another. We all have different musical priorities.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That quite a lot of people prefer vinyl over digital has to tell us that lowest noise is only one factor in musical enjoyment.

Truth be told there's no single reason why any one person should prefer one format over another. We all have different musical priorities.

Agreed. I purchase both CDs and vinyl LPs regularly. Which I purchase at any given time depends on how I might enjoy it best. When I want to concentrate on the music and I am prepared to flip sides, I’ll get a LP. When I want the ease of use and typical price advantage CDs provide, that’s what I get. My car has a CD player so that can be a factor. Sometimes a recording I want is not easily available in both formats, so I get the one I can get at the time.

Many different reasons…

D

Deleted member 51677

Physical media has substance. It's tangible. It's real. You can hold it. I think some people are sick of streaming. There is something to say for the vinyl experience. Not quality, but ritual.
I would differ on the quality part

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Simple pleasures of life are being drowned out by the tidal wave of endless communication, 24 hour shopping, social media, productivity, technology.....Humans don't know how to cope with what is happening. Vinyl is a link to a simpler time.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is as good as it gets it’s basically the Master tape. You’ve never heard this record until you hear this versionhttps://store.acousticsounds.com/d/161587/The_Jimi_Hendrix_Experience-Are_You_Experienced-UHQR_Vinyl_Record
I had Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland on record and it killed the CD version. :D

D

Deleted member 51677

You would be objectively wrong about that.

Vinyl has a sound. Some people like it. That's fine. But it terms of accurately replicating original recordings, it cannot remotely approach CD or hi-res digital audio.
I would agree to disagree. I’m able to do both using Audirvana and Qobuz with my Bifrost 2 dac, and then play the record on my VPI classic 4 tt not even close. Modern turntables are totally different now, in my opinion they have taken it to a whole new level

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would agree to disagree
You can disagree all you like, the science doesn't lie.
LP's are absolute huge waste of money if your interested in 21st Century quality sound.
Vinyl hasn't been a relevant High Fidelity medium since the early 1980s.

D

Deleted member 51677

LP's are absolute huge waste of money if your interested in 21st Century quality sound.
Opinions

Jaxjax

Nah....my ears are always the final judge.
I do both 50/50
If one prefers one medium over the other because of sonics, etc, then that IS the superior medium to them & is all that counts. ASR is off its rocker on alot of sh.....science doesn't lie ?, give me a break on that one. You haven't measured it all & most likely never will. If I say it sounds like sh..., it does & prove me wrong.

D

Deleted member 51677

But I enjoy both formats, and I certainly don’t get angry about it

Reactions: EJ3
D

Deleted member 51677

Why are some of you here? This is Audio SCIENCE Review. If you are unable to provide scientific proofs of your claims, this really isn’t the place for you.
So I need to leave because I’m not like you. Are you going to have me banned. I would ask why are you here on this comment section about analog. You can definitely turn the page, or scroll up and away. Have a nice evening

Top Bottom