• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on... you've completely missed my point. That post was a barb.

You are right, I did miss your point. Sorry!

I knew your post was joking in manner, but frankly had momentarily forgotten your wider view and thought maybe you had been one of those who somewhat cared about the vinyl/dynamic range thing. It can be hard to keep track of everyone's exact view and arguments in a thread like this.

You should be aware by now that my take on this business is that the largest part of the so-called "renaissance" is actually a continuation of pre-2007 vinyl subculture that includes audiophiles but is far, far from exclusively audiophile. Did you not see my barrage of posts showing that sales are happening at different rates in different countries, that turntable buying by numbers in the US was just a continuation of what was happening before (apart from an actual dip in numbers sold at the very time the renaissance was supposed to begin in 2007, and an increase during Covid), and my responses to claims about chart topping LPs?

While people here in ones and twos put forward high faluting explanations about sound quality, artist's intent, going back to the originals, and such, the actual record market has delivered sales to... Taylor Swift, Tyler the Creator, and now these compilations.

This last one at least is explicable - there are literally hundreds of thousands of completionist Beatles record collectors who will want these, and more will want them on LP because that's how they think and work.

I do actually see a bit of a change in the vinyl market since covid, suggested by that increase in turntable sales and more sales for new artists. That's worth a separate consideration, and I see it partly in terms of new music being released only on vinyl and partly in terms of children of existing vinyl enthusiasts.

Got it! Cheers.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
You are right, I did miss your point. Sorry!

I knew your post was joking in manner, but frankly had momentarily forgotten your wider view and thought maybe you had been one of those who somewhat cared about the vinyl/dynamic range thing. It can be hard to keep track of everyone's exact view and arguments in a thread like this.
Indeed, I did "care" about the vinyl/dynamic range thing - there were contradictory results from some of the posters, and an opportunity to learn a bit more about the vagaries of the DR measurement: but for me it was a peripheral thing. I cared that people were using DR incorrectly to support "wider vinyl dynamic range" when it appears in many cases to be an artefact of the necessities of mastering and playback.

Galliardist

Major Contributor

Galliardist

Major Contributor
^^^^ Yep, he knew it was a barb, and concluded that dishing out barbs is "in fun". That's how some people roll.
I meant that my post was a barb, though

Newman

Major Contributor
Ah! My bad.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why people still buy candles? Certainly, not for purpose of lighting. Vinyl popularity has nothing to do with music reproduction at all, even if you can actually play vinyl records. I bet candle industry is even bigger today than LP industry. And no, I am not talking about your plain paraphin candles dozen of which you probably have stashed in the pantry as part of your survival kit. Some of those organic soy special order ones can sell for triple digits and apparently there is enough people buying them. Heck, I have one in front of me right now sitting on my media console in the living room, next to my all-digital cutting edge HiFi system. It was "just" about $30 on Amazon though, not a big deal. Useless but who cares? Looks nice...

Candle CAGR is projected to be 6.2% for the next 10 years and become a $10.3B market. That is bigger than cleanroom technology market size which are used in scientific research and manufacturing.

Candles have a lot better color rendering with an index of 90 to 100 compared to the typical CRI of 70-80 of digital LED lighting people use at home these days.

Some might complain about flickering but if you keep your candle in a ventilated glass container with no discernible air flow directed to the flame, they can actually be quite flicker free. That way you can also avoid the toxic gasses they emit.

Some of them have amazing scents as well which you can not get with an LED light bulb.

I had guests at home the other day, and I slowly dimmed the lights off and switched to candles and no one even noticed. Mind you, some of these people are professional lighting designers.

Viva la revolución!

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Candle CAGR is projected to be 6.2% for the next 10 years and become a $10.3B market. That is bigger than cleanroom technology market size which are used in scientific research and manufacturing.

Candles have a lot better color rendering with an index of 90 to 100 compared to the typical CRI of 70-80 of digital LED lighting people use at home these days.

Some might complain about flickering but if you keep your candle in a ventilated glass container with no discernible air flow directed to the flame, they can actually be quite flicker free. That way you can also avoid the toxic gasses they emit.

Some of them have amazing scents as well which you can not get with an LED light bulb.

I had guests at home the other day, and I slowly dimmed the lights off and switched to candles and no one even noticed. Mind you, some of these people are professional lighting designers.

Viva la revolución!
Yes, all good, but where do I plug the turntable in?

Newman

Major Contributor
You put the candle on top of it. Then switch on the motor, roll your favorite, lean back, relax and enjoy the perfect CRI and scent.
For goodness’ sake, don’t give them ideas! Or we’ll end up with a revived revival…

egellings

Major Contributor
Why people still buy candles? Certainly, not for purpose of lighting. Vinyl popularity has nothing to do with music reproduction at all, even if you can actually play vinyl records. I bet candle industry is even bigger today than LP industry. And no, I am not talking about your plain paraphin candles dozen of which you probably have stashed in the pantry as part of your survival kit. Some of those organic soy special order ones can sell for triple digits and apparently there is enough people buying them. Heck, I have one in front of me right now sitting on my media console in the living room, next to my all-digital cutting edge HiFi system. It was "just" about $30 on Amazon though, not a big deal. Useless but who cares? Looks nice...
I have a single solar panel with a small rechargeable battery (and a bit of charging control electronics) that can light up a small but adequate dedicated lamp, and that works in an emergency; The little system will also power a small radio. I think that word is spelled Parafin.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a single solar panel with a small rechargeable battery (and a bit of charging control electronics) that can light up a small but adequate dedicated lamp, and that works in an emergency; The little system will also power a small radio.
Ready for the turntable apocalypse.

deweydm

That is really not a fair comparison.
$44 for a brand new album.
$7.50 for a 40 year old used record.
Bought a nearly mint copy, 1983 release, opened but still in the shrink, for $8 on Friday. No poster like the new release though. Black vinyl, not red. But a pressing with the unedited Electric Co., later edited on subsequent releases due to copyright infringement during Bono’s vamping. This is not a rare record. Commonly available in excellent condition.

If it’s an unfair comparison, it would be because the new release was remastered. Still think most buying the new release are mostly just collecting. Can’t prove it though.

Baudrillard_J

I have a rather new Technics SL-1200gr and I am in the unlucky position to require inspection and possible repair under Warranty. To my dread I realized Technics USA does not have a dedicated repair facility. It’s actually worse than that. Trying to reach tech-support will throw you to an infinite loop between the website sending you to find a repair location using the “repair locator” and the repair locator not being able to find a location and sending you back to the website.

In any case after multiple tries I heard back from customer something at Technics and they pointed me to an independent service shop is Sunyvile Queens. Which when I looked it up is now closed (as in out of business).

Is there a thread that I can discuss this and maybe get pointers or anyone who knows anything about getting Technics turntables repaired under warranty?

Thanks in advance for the time and response.

P.S. I’d also be interested to discuss with other Technics owners of the current line-up the issue of platter alignment. Is it normal for the strobelight dots to vary in size as the platter spins (creating a roto effect of the dots appearing as expanding and shrinking)?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a rather new Technics SL-1200gr and I am in the unlucky position to require inspection and possible repair under Warranty. To my dread I realized Technics USA does not have a dedicated repair facility. It’s actually worse than that. Trying to reach tech-support will throw you to an infinite loop between the website sending you to find a repair location using the “repair locator” and the repair locator not being able to find a location and sending you back to the website.

In any case after multiple tries I heard back from customer something at Technics and they pointed me to an independent service shop is Sunyvile Queens. Which when I looked it up is now closed (as in out of business).

Is there a thread that I can discuss this and maybe get pointers or anyone who knows anything about getting Technics turntables repaired under warranty?

Thanks in advance for the time and response.

P.S. I’d also be interested to discuss with other Technics owners of the current line-up the issue of platter alignment. Is it normal for the strobelight dots to vary in size as the platter spins (creating a roto effect of the dots appearing as expanding and shrinking)?

I'd start a new thread in the Turntable related subforum here:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
since this thread just keeps goin' and goin' and goin'...
and since at least some of us still have a sense of humor vis-a-vis such things...
I would like to share a vinyl/analog themed screenshot I just saw on over t' Club Polk (the Polk Audio forums, that is). I am going to enclose it in "spoiler" tags because it is a wee bit coarse -- even though the coarseness is strictly the result of some unfortunate truncation of text.

1701190077307.jpeg
This may explain at least some of the renaissance(?). :rolleyes:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
since this thread just keeps goin' and goin' and goin'...
and since at least some of us still have a sense of humor vis-a-vis such things...
I would like to share a vinyl/analog themed screenshot I just saw on over t' Club Polk (the Polk Audio forums, that is). I am going to enclose it in "spoiler" tags because it is a wee bit coarse -- even though the coarseness is strictly the result of some unfortunate truncation of text.

This may explain at least some of the renaissance(?). :rolleyes:

insert: "Why Not Both?" meme

Spyerx

I like vinyl. I like digital. I listen to both equally. I grew up with digital. I started to buy vinyl mostly classic jazz in about 2004, probably before it was a thing again. All those records that were sitting at shops and at the shows are now back in peoples collections… so mostly buy new now and on occasions original issues if not stupid money. I haven’t bought a CD in probably 5 or 6 years. I stream everything now, local and off Apple Music. Don’t buy too much, have about 500 records and space will be an issue at some point.

I prefer jazz on vinyl. Why? I think it can sound “nicer”. Maybe it’s the earlier releases or the mastering.. Those Toshiba EMI japanese blue note pressings from late 70s early 80s are dead silent and sound amazing. I dunno. Maybe the nostalgia too. I like to read the covers. Etc. That too… the smell of old sleeves. Having to get off my ass every 20 mins is good too?

Most new pressings are terrible, the blue note tone poet and some of the other prestige, few other jazz releases seem quite good.

This is a fun record, pulled off the shelf last night… don’t find these anymore in the store.

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_4284.jpeg

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I contributed a tiny bit to the ongoing increase in sales. Or maybe not. Does anyone compile data on used record sales?

IMG_1331.jpeg

Top Bottom