• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some users are just too slow to understand that for 2ch sources, hard media like CD and Vinyl are long obsolete
and belong in the trash heap. Digital people are just a little brighter.
True baiting, @Sal1950 ! Some users have vinyl, CD and streaming and switch between them at their preference.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My understanding, if incomplete, is that bands make more money from vinyl sales than digital sales. The limited global production capacity of vinyl may hold up the LP release for months, though.
They're making more money in the short term both from vinyl and CD sales than they do from streaming.
But in the end they are both a dieing breed. Time will tell out how the non-hard media income will add up
over decades. I guess it depends on popularity. I doubt Taylor Swift worries over her streaming income.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
True baiting, @Sal1950 ! Some users have vinyl, CD and streaming and switch between them at their preference.
Whatever floats your boat.
I trashed my vinyl near 2 decades ago.
I haven't purchased a new CD in I don't know how long.
Those I did, I rip and move on down the line.
I have purchased quite a number of new BluRay, DVDA, SACD & Downloads in
multich music in the last decade. Time marches on.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yeah, I’ve got one. It works. Still annoying that I need it in the first place :oops:
You really don't want me to tell you how to eliminate the issue permanently do you? LOL

HappyMetalGuy

My understanding, if incomplete, is that bands make more money from vinyl sales than digital sales. The limited global production capacity of vinyl may hold up the LP release for months, though.
That's the problem here, the bands that make the art we can't live without don't make enough money from digital files and streaming. The revenue must come from physical mediums and live performances. But physical mediums don't make sense because they're using earth resources to make "waste"?
Saying that normally I use Spotify to listen and if I really like it!!! Damn, I'll buy the vinyl (at least I hope is recycled, lol).
And of course when I can, I'll go to every concert there is near me.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe that's it. But I'm sure they could make similar money on CDs. And they do sell digital files, usually FLAC. It makes my hipster detector go off ;)

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Streaming can also make you stupid, e.g. if you listen to music that is suggested by the algorithm of the provider. For me, it works like this: the algorithm learns very quickly what I liked once, and then it always suggests the same sauce. How boring!

BTW: I also threw away my old record collection decades ago. Those were the records with beat, pop and rock music of my youth. Today I have a new vinyl collection with more sophisticated music.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming can also make you stupid, e.g. if you listen to music that is suggested by the algorithm of the provider. For me, it works like this: the algorithm learns very quickly what I liked once, and then it always suggests the same sauce. How boring!

BTW: I also threw away my old record collection decades ago. Those were the records with beat, pop and rock music of my youth. Today I have a new vinyl collection with more sophisticated music.
I kind of went sideways away from rock to breakbeat harcore and goth-industrial.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

How is this different from music suggestions from an online store or record shop? These are the albums everyone is buying.

Not all suggestions are boring. Using thumbs up/down on new tracks helps in selecting music that you like.

- Rich

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
How is this different from music suggestions from an online store or record shop? These are the albums everyone is buying.

Not all suggestions are boring. Using thumbs up/down on new tracks helps in selecting music that you like.

- Rich
Hi Rich

It is not a real problem, just an observation. When I want to passively listen to music, I still like to listen to well-curated internet radio stations.

Bernd

Forum Donor
From an environmental standpoint streaming is the best format as it creates no waste. However, it would still be interesting quite interesting to see how much energy is used to create an analogue master and to produce the corresponding sleeve vs the creation of a digital master + production of CD/jewel case/paper inlay vs creation of a digital master + energy consumption for storage and streaming of a given period let's say a year.
Apart from that there is no doubt that digital music is the superior format: try to get 45 minutes modern deep bass heavy music on a vinyl LP in good quality because 'analogue bandwith' (ie the disc diameter and the maximum groove amplitude possible without ejecting the needle of the pick-up from the disc: and that for the different speeds that occur as the needle wanders from the outside = highest speed to the inside = lowest speed.
Nevertheless the whole discussion cannot produce a winner because we humans are totally non digital. What we discuss is taste or preference for a type of sound. If you prefer the sound of cassette tapes/vinyl discs to that of a CD/Apple music/Spotify/FLAC that is fine and the other way round that is fine too. Noone can listen and like for another person.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Rich

It is not a real problem, just an observation. When I want to passively listen to music, I still like to listen to well-curated internet radio stations.

For this, I use Roon which that does a very good job of curating having been trained to my tastes.
The selections are primed by the first song. For example, if you select the Sting, you may get jazz or 80's music.

This feature has expanded my library of artists, exposing me to many more recent artists.
There are no commercials, and the quality is CD or better using Roon with QOBUZ.

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are artists, especially on older works, where the digital recording is garbage.
I am not huge fan of Led Zepplin but, I recently listened to the QOBUZ selection.
They sound terrible. If I were a fan, I would buy a turntable with digital out, and rip them and tag them.

This is the one area, where vinyl can have the edge, when the digital mastering is atrocious.
Some of these older titles have are sporting HD-Audio bitrates of 96/24 or better, but still are awful.

- Rich

Top Bottom