• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having just done comparison of vinyl, CD and SACD of the same '70s album on high-end equipment, I feel like sharing my result that old CDs are objectively challenged in fidelity, because of inferior digital computers back then. SACD sounds best, but vinyl sounds better than the '90s CD reissue (more detail/fidelity).

With regard to new vinyl, it seems that quality is often inferior to old vinyl. Like the reverse situation of CDs. Well, people who say new vinyl sounds better than new CDs should be dismissed until a concentrated comparison on high-end equipment is performed obviously.
A lot depends on the mastering for each medium. In my experience, the mastering makes more of a difference than the medium in how much I enjoy an album.

There are some mastering engineers that seem to make everything they touch sound great. Others, it’s hit or miss.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
A lot depends on the mastering for each medium. In my experience, the mastering makes more of a difference than the medium in how much I enjoy an album.
Certainly, and MCH mastering makes the biggest difference of all.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Vinyl out sold CD’s last last year and is on track to increase.
Perhaps the disappearance of CD demand due to streaming may have something to do with that?

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At least until the last hipster dies or goes deaf.

BTW, vinyl is still a big loser to digital music. Streaming digital music is in a whole 'nother galaxy, moneywise.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a one word answer. “Money”. Vinyl is a trendy way to sell a hard copy.

Those rotten capitalists! :)

"Vinyl Profits" will become an oxymoron again!
Let's wait and see...:eek:

This gives Nostradamus a run for sheer vagueness.;)

One day Putin won't be in charge of Russia. Let's wait (long enough) and see if my prediction comes true.

Newman

Major Contributor
Perhaps the disappearance of CD demand due to streaming may have something to do with that?
You mean like this?
04-25-stream-music-02.png

Spot the year when smartphones with data connectivity hit the market! ;)

And that's 2016 for 22% physical share. Fast forward and today the physical share is halved again to 11%.
75c3caf081b019402d99040e40870af9.jpg

And of course that 11% is in dollars! Given the absurd price of an LP vs the alternatives on a per song basis, the share of Music Listening Minutes on LP is probably around the 1% to 2% mark.

Wait: remember how 50% of LP buyers don't own a player? I might have overestimated at 1%! ;)

cheers

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean like this?
04-25-stream-music-02.png

Spot the year when smartphones with data connectivity hit the market! ;)

And that's 2016 for 22% physical share. Fast forward and today the physical share is halved again to 11%.
75c3caf081b019402d99040e40870af9.jpg

And of course that 11% is in dollars! Given the absurd price of an LP vs the alternatives on a per song basis, the share of Music Listening Minutes on LP is probably around the 1% to 2% mark.

Wait: remember how 50% of LP buyers don't own a player? I might have overestimated at 1%! ;)

cheers
Sales of both CDs and LPs grew in 2021 - I have not seen the physical media growth stats in 2022 yet.

Edit: Growth of vinyl unit sales flattened substantially in 2022, but still grew. CD sales decreased 11.6% by volume.

1681872566673.jpeg

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More growth opportunity for the turntable market! I’m seeing more new models being introduced and even U-Turn has debuted a higher end design for those looking to upgrade.

Newman

Major Contributor
More growth opportunity for the turntable market!
You are assuming the 50% of LP buyers who don't own a TT actually want to play them! ;)

It would be more logical to assume they are buying the LP in the same spirit as buying the T-shirt with a graphic of the new LP on it. Merchandise collection.

The big engine driving the vinyl revival: "I went to the concert and bought the T-shirt and the LP!"

Meanwhile we pontificate on here about whether it has something to do with mastering and sound quality! ROTFLOL!

cheers

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are assuming the 50% of LP buyers who don't own a TT actually want to play them! ;)
That’s what marketing is for! Getting to 60% would be a major accomplishment.

I can’t say I’ve seen a really effective turntable marketing campaign outside of Crosley :eek:.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
very little left unsaid after 2200+ comments... so many amazing performances have been recorded in the previous +/- ten decades - and if some of those are recordings you enjoy and also have great fidelity - consider yourself lucky...

and with those stellar recorded performances, I can politely ignore a less-than-great fidelity recording (by today's standards) - and still be awestruck...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some users are just too slow to understand that for 2ch sources, hard media like CD and Vinyl are long obsolete
and belong in the trash heap. Digital people are just a little brighter.

By FAR my least favorite aspect of the format is keeping the stupid things clean and static electricity free
You got to find one of those silly anti-static guns (ZeroStat's) to shoot your squashed hockey pucks with. ;)
I hear they get about $100 for these things today. LOL

"The device utilizes two piezo-electric crystals that are compressed by squeezing a hand trigger. The compression of the piezo-electric crystals generates a positive stream of ions that attracts the dust off the surface of the record and leaves the surface with a negative charge."
45213-turntable-users-discwasherzerostat-vinyl-lp-cleaner-kit.jpg

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Some users are just too slow to understand that for 2ch sources, hard media like CD and Vinyl are long obsolete

You got to find one of those silly anti-static guns (ZeroStat's) to shoot your squashed hockey pucks with. ;)

"The device utilizes two piezo-electric crystals that are compressed by squeezing a hand trigger. The compression of the piezo-electric crystals generates a positive stream of ions that attracts the dust off the surface of the record and leaves the surface with a negative charge."
Never used the Zerostat, but love my discwasher brush....

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At least until the last hipster dies or goes deaf.
You jest (I think), but one bellwether of a band is "vinyl-only"releases. Oddly, they almost always release digital files, too.

Godataloss

Sounds like someone cashed out his vinyl at a market nadir, lol.

I've got a Zerostat- gift from a lab rat friend. Those electric-arc lighters actually work better for about ten bucks.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From a revenue perspective, vinyl has outsold CDs for multiple years now.
I took advantage of this and sold my tt and albums. For a premium price I might add For years I thought they’d end up in a landfill.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You jest (I think), but one bellwether of a band is "vinyl-only"releases. Oddly, they almost always release digital files, too.
My understanding, if incomplete, is that bands make more money from vinyl sales than digital sales. The limited global production capacity of vinyl may hold up the LP release for months, though.

Top Bottom