• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable Questions (sorry)

Harryharryharry

I've recently learned speaker cables largely don't matter so long as you have the right thickness. What a relief, thanks guys! I do have a couple questions though if you don't mind.

1. Same logic applies to XLR? I spent £50 on some mogami XLR interconnects, but could have just got the cheapest option with decent connectors?

2. Phono cable from a turntable, I'm guessing any RCA cable will do and the choice is largely irrelevant? And as it will be so short thickness shouldn't be an issue?

3. The metal plates that link biwirable speaker posts, no impact on sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there,

I've recently learned speaker cables largely don't matter so long as you have the right thickness
Nope, it's the right resistance.
1. Same logic applies to XLR? I spent £50 on some mogami XLR interconnects, but could have just got the cheapest option with decent connectors?
There are cheapest options, but keep your Mogami, very good (world class) quality cables.
3. The metal plates that link biwirable speaker posts, no impact on sound quality?
None.

Last edited:
OP
H

Harryharryharry

Thank you!

Regarding the quality of XLR cable, that presumably has no effect on sound quality, is it more of the physical quality? I.e. the connection isn't going to break etc?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Thank you!

Regarding the quality of XLR cable, that presumably has no effect on sound quality, is it more of the physical quality? I.e. the connection isn't going to break etc?
For most line level use it doesn't matter, but if you are working with microphones (lower level signals) in a very noise environment (like lots of power lines and adapters you run the cable past) you might want star quad configuration cables.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/117842759-star-quad-cable-demonstration-video

OP
H

Harryharryharry

Any thoughts on the last one:

2. Phono cable from a turntable, I'm guessing any RCA cable will do and the choice is largely irrelevant? And as it will be so short resistance shouldn't be an issue?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Any thoughts on the last one:

2. Phono cable from a turntable, I'm guessing any RCA cable will do and the choice is largely irrelevant? And as it will be so short resistance shouldn't be an issue?

Capacitance is important if you're using a moving magnet cartridge. And you want it floppy enough not to transmit mechanical vibrations to the turntable.

Top Bottom