• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to choose cables ?

BobbyTimmons

Professional studio and touring cables like Mogami, Canare, Van Damme, Sommer are good choices. The small extra cost of professional cables is not worth worrying about as the cables potentially last the rest of your life. At least until you need a different length or connector.

Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Professional studio and touring cables like Mogami, Canare, Van Damme, Sommer are good choices. The small extra cost of professional cables is not worth worrying about as the cables potentially last the rest of your life. At least until you need a different length or connector.
Mogami is a popular brand for pros as much because it is durable when physically abused as because of any possible sound difference. The microphone cables (remember those?) that were used to swing microphones like a lasso have more to endure than the zip cord that sits sandwiched between an area rug and wall-to-wall carpet in my music room.

Rick "who buys Mogami microphone cables" Denney

BobbyTimmons

Mogami is a popular brand for pros as much because it is durable when physically abused as because of any possible sound difference. The microphone cables (remember those?) that were used to swing microphones like a lasso have more to endure than the zip cord that sits sandwiched between an area rug and wall-to-wall carpet in my music room.

Pros usually have to buy large amounts of cables. Mogami cables are expensive if you need to buy hundreds of feet of it. Home audio users are only buying short lengths. Mogami cables are cheap at home audio lengths. The lengths of cables for home audio users are usually short enough it doesn't cost much to buy the more durable professional or touring cables which should last almost forever.

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
Pros usually have to buy large amounts of cables. Mogami cables are expensive if you need to buy hundreds of feet of it. Home audio users are only buying comparably short lengths. The price of Mogami cables are cheap at home audio lengths. The lengths of cables for home audio users are usually short enough it doesn't cost much to buy the more durable professional or touring cables which should last almost forever.
Mogami is popular because they work like intended, neutral in sound, very durable and very flexible for a reasonable price if you buy in big bulks (like music studio's tend to do). Most pro audio studio's i know make their own cabling with Mogami cables and Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors and patchbays. All is custom made mostly, by the people who iinstall the studio gear also. It's like a standard practice to do almost, where most even don't think about alternatives.

LDvo

Not sure how the subject switched to Mogami brand
from original question - how to choose cables for the speakers?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Mostly Mogami cables on my hifi. It is delightfully supple.
I try to suppress the urge to swing components around, though. :)

(the black ones, that is - DIYs with REAN Neutrik connectors)

1706481381197.jpeg

1706481461526.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how the subject switched to Mogami brand
from original question - how to choose cables for the speakers?
Think it was more an example of a brand name that makes sense....vs the charlatans like Fraudioquest, Nordost, Transparent, MIT, SR, etc.

Top Bottom