• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Buckeye Hypex NC252MP Amplifier Teardown

Labjr

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Newbie question/clarification:

If I am using NL4 speakON jacks but the customer only wants one channel connected, I would connect to +1/-1, correct? This way an NL2 cable would work correctly?
That sounds right.

Trdat

Forum Donor
View attachment 100589

Can someone please tell me a little more about the extra wire that is connnected to the top of the XLR connector, the one that is bolted ? Some type of grounding. Where does it connect from to where(obviously I can see where its connected to) but I mean the purpose and in particular where from?

Also, there is the white and blue wire which is the negative and positive but the third wire which I am presuming is another type of grounding is not connected to the third slot(hole) but to the side with a female terminal connector. Can't that just go into the 3rd ground hole that's made for it? Or is this something different?

Labjr

View attachment 100589

Can someone please tell me a little more about the extra wire that is connnected to the top of the XLR connector, the one that is bolted ? Some type of grounding. Where does it connect from to where(obviously I can see where its connected to) but I mean the purpose and in particular where from?

Also, there is the white and blue wire which is the negative and positive but the third wire which I am presuming is another type of grounding is not connected to the third slot(hole) but to the side with a female terminal connector. Can't that just go into the 3rd ground hole that's made for it? Or is this something different?

The black wire is to connect Pin1(shield) of the XLR jack to chassis ground. The wire with the female terminal is the signal ground for one the of the amplifier channels. It has to go to ground also. Not Pin 1 of the XLR jack.

Trdat

Forum Donor
The black wire is to connect Pin1(shield) of the XLR jack to chassis ground. The wire with the female terminal is the signal ground for one the of the amplifier channels. It has to go to ground also. Not Pin 1 of the XLR jack.

Thanks for this. There is a few other threads that also go into detail regarding wrong wiring and you have explained it in simple form. Apprecaite the response I think it's fairly understandable.

nstzya

I really appreciate it!

If you had access to 502's and 252's and your LCR were 4ohm speakers, would you just use two 502's or three bridged 252's, knowing that the cost difference is actually cheaper using the 252's?

Or is the hair splitting of possible differences you outlined above negligible?

The other small consideration is the rest of my speakers are all run off 252's so if I did a bridged setup for the front I would be able to correctly set input sensitivity on my HTP-1 (whereas right now it's splitting the difference between Vrms of the 252s and 502s I'm using).

So... am I right to conclude that - in the special case where you have only 2Vrms limits on your preamp and/or DAC output section - it would seem that the bridged 252's with their 1.7 Vrms sensitivity might be the better option?? (rather than the 2.7Vrms sensitivity of the 502's)

Trdat

Forum Donor

I've been reading more about XLR wiring and curious if I wire the Hypex module the way you have mentioned above does that mean I can use a typical XLR cable that is wired with the shield to pin 1? Why ask is because I see a lot of recommendations regarding XLR cable wiring and although I don't fully understand the amendments that need to be made such as wiring the shield to chassis ground rather than signal ground I am presuming that the above wiring will ensure that the shield wire will end up to the chassis right?

arczar

I have a similar question:

According to the document on the hypex website, the signal cable shield from the amplifier board should be connected to the housing (not to PIN 1). PIN 1 should also be connected to the case, but in a different place.
The question is: should these points be common to the L and R channels?
Or:

PIN 1 of L channel and PIN 1 of P channel to one place (in my photo the screw fixing the XLR socket) and the L channel screen and P channel screen to one place (e.g. bottom of the amplifier)

or maybe they should be 4 different points?

IMG_20210422_221204457_2_45.jpg

AdamG247

The Spice must flow…
Forum Donor
I have a similar question:

According to the document on the hypex website, the signal cable shield from the amplifier board should be connected to the housing (not to PIN 1). PIN 1 should also be connected to the case, but in a different place.
The question is: should these points be common to the L and R channels?
Or:

PIN 1 of L channel and PIN 1 of P channel to one place (in my photo the screw fixing the XLR socket) and the L channel screen and P channel screen to one place (e.g. bottom of the amplifier)

or maybe they should be 4 different points?

View attachment 125679
Welcome Aboard @arczar.

babadono

Pin 1 to chassis is the correct way to wire XLR connectors. Keep the inter chassis' current on the chassis. Not going into signal ground. Signal ground should only have one point of connection to the chassis and it is usually at the power supply.
Any doubts search the web for "Pin 1 problems".

Top Bottom