• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Not Scotch Tape, Man!
Duct tape.
And you have to wrap it clockwise on the input end and counterclockwise on the output end.
(or is that the other way around?...)
Oh, and the more the better. So at least 20' per termination.

*sh!t eating grin
Don't forget to make an arrow on the cable sheath indicating proper flow of electrons

Don't forget to make an arrow on the cable sheath indicating proper flow of electrons
giphy.gif

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Binding Post fix for Hypex owners:
Below are several approaches for those DIY inclined who would like the peace of mind of having non-magnetic binding post tabs. While we verified the steel tabs on our binding posts caused an early rise in distortion in the Purifi builds, it is currently unknown (but probable) if a similar rise in distortion would be measurable in the Hypex amps.

Even if the distortion were to be measurable in a Hypex amp build, it is nearly a 100% certainty it is inaudible and does not affect real world usage.

***LEAVE THE AMP UNPLUGGED FROM ALL POWER FOR 30MINS PRIOR TO OPENING THE CASE***

Approach #1
1) Replace the tabs on the binding posts with these, 0.250" Brass Male Quick Connect
2) Cut off the existing female quick connect on the end of the internal speaker wiring and crimp on a new 0.250" female quick connect (plenty of options out there, just make sure they are non-magnetic)

Approach #2
1) Cut off the existing female quick connect on the end of the internal speaker wiring and crimp on an M4 Lug Ring Terminal, like these
2) Secure the Lug Ring Terminal to the binding post directly (no need to use the tab anymore)

Approach #3
1) Replace the tabs on the binding posts with these, 0.205" Brass Male Quick Connect
*The existing wiring will work/connect to these tabs directly, no other modification needed
**This is the easiest approach, however these tabs are hard to find/not in stock in most places

Approach #4
1) Remove the female quick connects on the ends of the speaker wiring and solder the wire directly to the speaker binding post

Last edited:

Flash

@Buckeye Amps
What gauge wire is currently used in the binding post repair?

Can we assume from approach #3 that the current female quick connect's are non-magnetic? (ie. the only problematic part is the tab itself)

Which approach do you plan to take moving forward?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps
What gauge wire is currently used in the binding post repair?

Can we assume from approach #3 that the current female quick connect's are non-magnetic? (ie. the only problematic part is the tab itself)

Which approach do you plan to take moving forward?
Current speaker wire is 18ga, though it is a tad thicker so a 16-18ga size for crimping is best.

And yes, the female quick connects I have used, past and present, are non-magnetic (brass).

All amps going forward that I build are using the 0.250" tabs linked in the previous post.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now that we know the Purifi buffer boards are not an issue/are performing as they should, I have been able to put a little more thought and pricing into the NCx500.

I will eventually be offering a mono, stereo, and 3ch amp based on the NCx500, using the same buffer boards as my Purifi amps (help save on costs/carrying nearly redundant inventory).

The Mono and Stereo would use the Hypex SMPS1200A700. The 3ch would use the Hypex SMPS3kA700 and two High Voltage cables from the SMPS to the buffer board to handle the extra load.

Looking like $749 for the mono, $1149 for the stereo, and $1549 for the 3ch. Not final and still have work to do, mainly extensive testing. The good thing is since we will be using the Purifi buffer board, once Amir re-tests and the distortion issue is cleared up, we know the board will be up to snuff (as the rest of the Purifi testing has shown aside from that small binding post issue).

Please, at this point do not ask me to make a down payment/put an order in. There is still work to do and Hypex does not have a large inventory of the modules yet anyways.

Thanks!

***EDIT*** Price point estimates updated 2-18-23

According to the Hypex news release, the new NCx500 module "features an on-board, high-end buffer stage combining Hypex' established HxR discrete regulators with carefully selected, high-grade components." Are you not going to be using these or are they an option for customers?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
According to the Hypex news release, the new NCx500 module "features an on-board, high-end buffer stage combining Hypex' established HxR discrete regulators with carefully selected, high-grade components." Are you not going to be using these or are they an option for customers?
We are exploring two possibilities: one is that Hypex would manufacture the NCx500 without the buffer and regulators (reducing cost) so we would use our current buffer board exclusively, but this depends on where the Input Vaux current draw would end up.

The other is adding a jumper to our current buffer boards to bypass our own regulators, relying on the NCx500 onboard regulators (we would still use the OPA1612 buffer).

As always, will come down to cost vs. performance differences.

goryu

We are exploring two possibilities: one is that Hypex would manufacture the NCx500 without the buffer and regulators (reducing cost) so we would use our current buffer board exclusively, but this depends on where the Input Vaux current draw would end up.

The other is adding a jumper to our current buffer boards to bypass our own regulators, relying on the NCx500 onboard regulators (we would still use the OPA1612 buffer).

As always, will come down to cost vs. performance differences.

Why not just offer them with the Hypex buffers? By the way, sent you a message via your web site a little bit ago.

Thanks again.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Why not just offer them with the Hypex buffers? By the way, sent you a message via your web site a little bit ago.

Thanks again.
So we can use our current boards and not have to create yet even more inventory/board models to stock...I am still all about keeping costs as low as I can to pass on to customers.

If testing shows using our buffer measures the same as the onboard Hypex buffer but we can save money and hassle using ours, not sure what the issue would be.
I know some possible customers get hooked on buffer brands/models, but if performance is performance...

goryu

So we can use our current boards and not have to create yet even more inventory/board models to stock...I am still all about keeping costs as low as I can to pass on to customers.

If testing shows using our buffer measures the same as the onboard Hypex buffer but we can save money and hassle using ours, not sure what the issue would be.
I know some possible customers get hooked on buffer brands/models, but if performance is performance...

I can understand you wanting to keep inventory in hand and commonality sure makes things easier on your end but with a special order NCx500 board, customers wouldn't be able to just swap a module if needed down the road. Using the boards with a built in buffer means less parts and easier to implement from your end as well. The NCx500 board is a different board regardless of whether or not the buffer is included, meaning you will be carrying it regardless. I agree, performance is performance but not sure if not using the built in buffer is really a money and hassle saving move, all things considered. Thanks for the reply.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Using the boards with a built in buffer means less parts and easier to implement from your end as well. The NCx500 board is a different board regardless of whether or not the buffer is included, meaning you will be carrying it regardless.
No, that’s what I am saying. If I were to buy the NCx modules without a buffer or regulator from Hypex, I wouldn’t need to design and carry new input boards on my end. I could use what I already carry.

Which means less parts and cost on my end. More savings for the customers.

goryu

No, that’s what I am saying. If I were to buy the NCx modules without a buffer or regulator from Hypex, I wouldn’t need to design and carry new input boards on my end. I could use what I already carry.

Which means less parts and cost on my end. More savings for the custome
But it is not final. Waiting to see about input voltage current first.

Ok, thanks.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ok, thanks.
As a follow up:

We will be using the normal/stock OEM NCx500 modules and will not be ordering them custom made/will not be removing the Hypex buffer or regulators.

As such, we are working on slight changes to our existing input boards to accommodate this while also ensuring these changes do not alter existing performance/measurements of our boards.

goryu

As a follow up:

We will be using the normal/stock OEM NCx500 modules and will not be ordering them custom made/will not be removing the Hypex buffer or regulators.

As such, we are working on slight changes to our existing input boards to accommodate this while also ensuring these changes do not alter existing performance/measurements of our boards.
Thanks for the update.

Top Bottom