• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Vernonscriven

My Buckeye 3 channel purifi amp arrived today! Easy setup with speaker speakon connectors.
Ran audissey and everything sounds super tight. I will wait a little before I let them loose.
With just my Denon I had a little hiss from my front speakers, now Buckeye Amp powered there is no background noise.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So my case manufacturer made an error and instead of sending me (1) of a custom powder coat case, they sent me nearly two dozen. As such, I was able to talk them into a deep discount on the mistake, so if anyone fancies a Red/Black mixture (Red is Front, Bottom, Back...Black is Sides and Top), I can offer them as an upgrade for only $50 (opposed to the normal $100 Powder Coat upcharge). See attached picture.

I reckon they look awesome. Should sell like hot cakes.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Now that we know the Purifi buffer boards are not an issue/are performing as they should, I have been able to put a little more thought and pricing into the NCx500.

I will eventually be offering a mono, stereo, and 3ch amp based on the NCx500, using the same buffer boards as my Purifi amps (help save on costs/carrying nearly redundant inventory).

The Mono and Stereo would use the Hypex SMPS1200A700. The 3ch would use the Hypex SMPS3kA700 and two High Voltage cables from the SMPS to the buffer board to handle the extra load.

Looking like $749 for the mono, $1149 for the stereo, and $1549 for the 3ch. Not final and still have work to do, mainly extensive testing. The good thing is since we will be using the Purifi buffer board, once Amir re-tests and the distortion issue is cleared up, we know the board will be up to snuff (as the rest of the Purifi testing has shown aside from that small binding post issue).

Please, at this point do not ask me to make a down payment/put an order in. There is still work to do and Hypex does not have a large inventory of the modules yet anyways.

Thanks!

***EDIT*** Price point estimates updated 2-18-23

Last edited:

Audiomn

Forum Donor
Now that we know the Purifi buffer boards are not an issue/are performing as they should, I have been able to put a little more thought and pricing into the NCx500.

I will eventually be offering a mono, stereo, and 3ch amp based on the NCx500, using the same buffer boards as my Purifi amps (help save on costs/carrying nearly redundant inventory).

The Mono and Stereo would use the Hypex SMPS1200A700. The 3ch would use the Hypex SMPS3kA700 and two High Voltage cables from the SMPS to the buffer board to handle the extra load.

Looking like $749 for the mono, $1049 for the stereo, and $1349 for the 3ch. Not final and still have work to do, mainly extensive testing. The good thing is since we will be using the Purifi buffer board, once Amir re-tests and the distortion issue is cleared up, we know the board will be up to snuff (as the rest of the Purifi testing has shown aside from that small binding post issue).

Please, at this point do not ask me to make a down payment/put an order in. There is still work to do and Hypex does not have a large inventory of the modules yet anyways.

Thanks!
How would a stereo NCx500 compare with a Purifi stereo? I’ve seen the reviews, but am curious about the conclusions. Thank you.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How would a stereo NCx500 compare with a Purifi stereo? I’ve seen the reviews, but am curious about the conclusions. Thank you.
They are neck and neck. IMO, the NCx500 is a better comparison to the Purifi 1ET7040SA due to the higher 4ohm and 2ohm power outputs.

While splitting hairs, I believe the 1ET400A Purifi has a slight edge overall when all measurements are considered (not just the SINAD scores). But none of these differences will be audible. It will essentially come down to either brand preference or price, as the NCx500 is slightly cheaper at OEM pricing breaks.

xaxxon

So my case manufacturer made an error and instead of sending me (1) of a custom powder coat case, they sent me nearly two dozen. As such, I was able to talk them into a deep discount on the mistake, so if anyone fancies a Red/Black mixture (Red is Front, Bottom, Back...Black is Sides and Top), I can offer them as an upgrade for only $50 (opposed to the normal $100 Powder Coat upcharge). See attached picture.

These are for 2ch NC502 and 2chNC252 amps only.

Also, will be making an Outlet page on the website with these listed.
is the black part nicer than the non-upgraded black or the same?

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are opinions of the nilai500 vs the ncx500? Spec wise, they seem very similar. Any pros/cons to one over the other?

xaxxon

Are the "normal" powdercoating options just for the front panel?

If it's normally the whole device, half the price for 20% the powdercoating doesn't seem like much of a deal? I'm guessing I'm missing something. Genuinely curious :)

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Are the "normal" powdercoating options just for the front panel?

If it's normally the whole device, half the price for 20% the powdercoating doesn't seem like much of a deal? I'm guessing I'm missing something. Genuinely curious :)
Any change to the powder coat color, whether it is the base (which accounts for the Front, Bottom, Rear) or the Cover (which accounts for the Sides and Top) or both is $100 extra total as it costs $100 extra for a one off case to be made. $200 for any custom anodizing.

The cases in question with the $50 off are Red bases (so Front, Bottom, Rear) and Black cover (Top and Sides), as that was the customers original request.

Last edited:

xaxxon

Any change to the powder coat color, whether it is the base (which accounts for the Front, Bottom, Rear) or the Cover (which accounts for the Sides and Top) is $100 extra as it costs $100 extra for a one off case to be made. $200 for any custom anodizing.

The cases in question with the $50 off are Red bases (so Front, Bottom, Rear) and Black cover (Top and Sides), as that was the customers original request.
I'm sorry if I'm being dense. If I want an all-red case does it cost $100 or $200?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What are opinions of the nilai500 vs the ncx500? Spec wise, they seem very similar. Any pros/cons to one over the other?
Hard to say...as Class D improves the diminishing returns gets smaller and smaller. Just as with the previous generation of the DIY Ncore (the NC400) and previous OEM generation (NC500), the measurement differences between the two are not vast.

I think it really comes down to if someone wants to do a DIY build (again, like the NC400) or still go OEM route.
It should be noted that at this time, the SMPS for the Nilai only does stereo, which does cut into the rated output of the mono spec/config. So the advantage for the NCx500 is higher channel count in one case while maintaining output specs.

Colonel7

These are for 2ch NC502 and 2chNC252 amps only.

Also, will be making an Outlet page on the website with these listed.
Is that the Bearcat version?;)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Disregard on those Red/Black cases....have worked out with the manufacturer to have them all fixed at no cost.

PlvsBob

6D59C981-9111-477F-A503-999539C485D7.jpeg
Long time lurker- first time posting. I think I was the reason 24 red bases were accidentally produced. Just got my amp today and running it through this evening. Dylan had great communication and even gave me the money off (same offer posted here) for the bulk order. Honestly it looks better in person than in photos. While I don’t listen super loud I felt the Magnepan .7 needed more power. To try avoiding debate 500 wpc is much nicer.Fairly large basement contributes to the need for power.

Johaan77

Hey All! (especially Buckey Amps),

I have a new system consisting of two JBL VTX F12 clones (active, two way, 2451SL and 2206H) and two JBL 18" 2241 subwoofers. 95% of the time for home use, 5% for party in private, but volume vise, waaaay louder than my normal listening levels. Considering two amplifiers, 6 channel, bridge two outputs for the subwoofers. What would be a good solution and is it even possible to expect "PA"-levels from these amplifiers? I want to avoid noisy Crown/LAB amplifiers...

Thanks,
Johan

rvsixer

I want to avoid noisy Crown/LAB amplifiers...
I haven't ordered my Buckeye amp yet, so I will let others more experienced answer to suitability of them for your purpose. But if they are not suitable, as a Crown Drivecore PA amp user they are very quiet. I've never noticed any fan noise (and this is the general consensus overall in the forums, and iirc even the review of them here as well).

Top Bottom