• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I checked. Even at the furthest XLR there is continuity. The XLR chassis themselves are metallic and ground to the panel even without screws. That's also how they have the quick connect right below pin 1 built into the XLR.

Good, am using the Ghent-supplied XLRs and there is no bare metal on them or around the mounting holes. Comparable issue for the back panel. There is no built-in grounding. Know you are using different case.

Hard to tell with certainty from pics, but any mains quick connects should be insulated. If the connector comes loose, it should not be able to conduct to other surfaces. Even if they are connected and not insulated, can casually touch with tools or other parts.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Good, am using the Ghent-supplied XLRs and there is no bare metal on them or around the mounting holes. Comparable issue for the back panel. There is no built-in grounding. Know you are using different case.

Hard to tell with certainty from pics, but any mains quick connects should be insulated. If the connector comes loose, it should not be able to conduct to other surfaces. Even if they are connected and not insulated, can casually touch with tools or other parts.
Ahh. That's a good point. I don't have the entire quick connector insulated. I will say, since I'm using an exact size match to specifications they do not come off easily. In fact, if I need to pull one off temporarily it takes a lot of force.

But I will use longer heat shrink to cover the entire connector. Thanks for the input. As I said from the beginning, I am open to any and all input and suggestions to make these as well built as possible.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Per input, quick connectors now covered in heat shrink in case they were to work themselves loose at any point.

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_163119407~2.jpg
    PXL_20201031_163119407~2.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 618

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps Are these anodized aluminum cases? If so, I've read grouding locations should be sanded to expose the raw aluminum (as the anodization makes the surface non-conductive), especially the mains power ground. Was this done? Or am I mistaken? Also, a star/locking washer should be used on the mains ground as well.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps Are these anodized aluminum cases? If so, I've read grouding locations should be sanded to expose the raw aluminum (as the anodization makes the surface non-conductive), especially the mains power ground. Was this done? Or am I mistaken? Also, a star/locking washer should be used on the mains ground as well.
Yes, the mains ground location is sanded to expose bare metal. And I am using locking washers :)

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Anyone know how the 4- or 6-channel NC252MP would sound compared to Outlaw Audio 5000x (https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index....000x-5-channel-amplifier&controller=product)? I saw older models on here but not this one.
I've owned a few Outlaw amps over the years (but not the 5000x) and objectively they are good amps that just work but subjectively I never kept them that long in my setup as they always seemed flat/dull to me for high dynamic movie watching. Idk. I tend to think an amp is an amp and as long as it is working within in its proper specifications there is little difference in sound quality but whatever I thought I heard or didn't hear with Outlaw I never seemed to keep the amps.

What I can say about the Hypex modules is once I made my first DIY amp with an NC252 I stopped having upgraditis and couldn't find any faults or reasons to think I needed a new amp anymore.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NC252MP would sound compared to Outlaw Audio 5000x

The Outlaw was on my short list of amps until I decided to go Hypex instead based, in part, on reviews here, the extra wattage and maybe mostly the efficiency of class D. My new amp from Buckeye is due to arrive today but it'll be a couple days before I can hook it all up. I'll definitely report back after I've given it a listen compared to my existing class AB amps.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
I've owned a few Outlaw amps over the years (but not the 5000x) and objectively they are good amps that just work but subjectively I never kept them that long in my setup as they always seemed flat/dull to me for high dynamic movie watching. Idk. I tend to think an amp is an amp and as long as it is working within in its proper specifications there is little difference in sound quality but whatever I thought I heard or didn't hear with Outlaw I never seemed to keep the amps.

What I can say about the Hypex modules is once I made my first DIY amp with an NC252 I stopped having upgraditis and couldn't find any faults or reasons to think I needed a new amp anymore.
Thanks for your feedback, especially since you have first hand experience with some of Outlaw's products and sound. Did you only feel you were satisfied because this was your latest upgrade and that the feeling will wane with time? Or is it lasting this time when others weren't? Oh, and do you offer filtered IEC inlets?

The Outlaw was on my short list of amps until I decided to go Hypex instead based, in part, on reviews here, the extra wattage and maybe mostly the efficiency of class D. My new amp from Buckeye is due to arrive today but it'll be a couple days before I can hook it all up. I'll definitely report back after I've given it a listen compared to my existing class AB amps.
I'm very interested in your feedback. Please do respond. I'll await it before making my decision. Can I ask a few questions (more than this one ;) )? What's your experience with speakers, amps, and listening over the years so I know where you're coming from? What will you be comparing your new amp to (i.e., what will it be replacing or compared to another setup)? What's your intended use (e.g., movies, music, mixed)? Which model did you buy from here? Thanks!

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Outlaw amps are a decent value, but even the best (of the ones measured here) are noisier than and less consistent in performance than the Hypex ones measured here. Check out the reviews. Note that a 5000x is $750 before shipping. Since Class AB, is not inexpensive to ship either.

I was going to buy a 5000x and ended up with multiple Hypex amps. They do seem to sound better than any Class AB equipment I have. The NC252MP is comparable power but is much more energy efficient (even with 3 modules needed for 6 output channels).

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The truth is that Hypex nCore based amplifiers measure better than 90% of amplifiers out there, so it is almost impossible to find better value elsewhere. That is why I own 2 of them. :)

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks for your feedback, especially since you have first hand experience with some of Outlaw's products and sound. Did you only feel you were satisfied because this was your latest upgrade and that the feeling will wane with time? Or is it lasting this time when others weren't? Oh, and do you offer filtered IEC inlets?

I just placed an order for the 19" cases and some more 17" cases, so at this time I cannot offer a filtered IEC inlet, unless I can find one that fits the exact cutout dimensions. In future iterations I can switch to filtered if it makes that much of a difference?

Regarding satisfied/experience with amps:
Over the last ten years I have owned Anthem (PVA, MCA, and P), Emotiva (BasX and XPA), Outlaw (Monoblocks and 5 channel), Parasound, Sunfire, various onboard AVR amps, and most recently ATI (NC500 version) right before building my Hypex amps. At no time when I was using Class A/B did I ever feel "satisfied". Either I sold off because the money spent did not justify the sound (Anthem P3 for example) or the sound was just....lacking? Not that it was clipping or insufficient power but it just felt flat during high dynamics (Outlaw Monoblocks).

The ATI was my favorite amp and what got me convinced to go Class D of my own Hypex builds. They just work. Lots of clean power. Small package. No complaints.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora @Matias @Buckeye Amps Thank you for your responses (over the previous three posts), very insightful.

Any know how the phase shift is for the Purifi modules? I saw Amirm post about the NC400, but didn't find it for the 1ET400A.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
An option I haven't advertised but can accommodate is including everything necessary to add another module in the future. Say you only want two channels now but maybe add another two or four later on, I can prewire internally for a plug and play fit, so all you'd need to do is get the extra modules and drop them in.

Pictured here is what I did for DW. He wanted four channels with the last two able to either incorporate his own ICEPower module or another Hypex later on (necessary cables in a bag I sent with him not pictured).

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_180935202~3.jpg
    PXL_20201031_180935202~3.jpg
    898.3 KB · Views: 424

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I had four ICEpower modules in a box, and it burned the house sectional fuse at startup... Caps suck huge current you know... In 230V house. How about this?

Another question is about certificate to manufacture and sell electric devices that are connected to mains?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I had four ICEpower modules in a box, and it burned the house sectional fuse at startup... Caps suck huge current you know... In 230V house. How about this?

Another question is about certificate to manufacture and sell electric devices that are connected to mains?

When I tested Lonestars 6 channel (so three NC252 modules) amp, even with all three modules switching out of standby at once there was no visible (or audible) sign of a large inrush. In my room, when my previous Emotiva XPA5 would turn on the overhead lights would flicker for a brief second. With these amps so far, nothing.

I also incorporate a 15amp fuse into each build. Just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

GWolfman

Forum Donor
So it's essentially equal across all frequencies, which is good. Was the delay measured?

An option I haven't advertised but can accommodate is including everything necessary to add another module in the future. Say you only want two channels now but maybe add another two or four later on, I can prewire internally for a plug and play fit, so all you'd need to do is get the extra modules and drop them in.

Pictured here is what I did for DW. He wanted four channels with the last two able to either incorporate his own ICEPower module or another Hypex later on (necessary cables in a bag I sent with him not pictured).
Excellent, I will likely take this route as well.

Top Bottom