• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hsu Research VTF-3R with updated Mk3 plate amp

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought this sub to go along with the Paradigm 40v3s listed separately as it outperformed the Paradigm. It's in real rosewood veneer with piano black top. There are a few scratches in the top, nothing out of the ordinary for that finish and age of the unit.

The original plate amp was 250w, and the transformer developed audible hum after a few years (and out of warranty.) I removed it, sent it back to Hsu, and we struck a deal for me to buy the 350w plate amp that was supplied with the VTF-3R as an update within a few months of my original purchase. That's why this is a VTF-3R with bottom firing woofer with the amp for the VTF-3 Mk3 with a side-firing woofer. The labeling had been changed by then to show the current model in which the amp was installed. The amp swap solved the hum problem completely.

The original shipping weight on this was 93 lb, and it would only be perhaps 5 lb less now due to the BASH plate amp being lighter than the original. Very expensive to ship.

$275 firm for local pickup in NW Indiana near Chicago, but I would come down some if you were to buy it with the 40v3s and stands as a package.

Reviewed here: https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_1/hsu-vtf-3r-subwoofer-1-2004.html

Thanks for looking and please DM me with questions.

Hsu Sub.JPG
Sub amp.JPG
Sub bottom.JPG

Last edited:
OP
sejarzo

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I knew shipping was expensive--but not so stupid expensive as the cheapest FedEx Ground from here in NW Indiana to a residence in an Idaho zip code. $283. :oops::oops::oops:

Lucky for me, a fellow enthusiast who lives 10 minutes from me found my posting for it on FB marketplace. Owns four Hsu subs for his home theater and wants to add two to his 2 channel rig. Guess he likes them.

Top Bottom