• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

bkdc

Forum Donor
LOL. Staring at a pretty case doesn’t make it sound any better…. Although given the way our auditory system is wired, placebo and bias can be very strong. I do hope Dylan solves this enigma so he and his business can move on. My Buckeye Purifi amp sounds great to my ears.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Those people can easily determine whether the looks are a problem for themselves without the help of others.

Discussing it brings nothing new to the table.
Come on, everybody can chill a bit, it's a discussion, people give their opinion on a product not everybody has to have the same opinion, and not every post have to be crafted to "Help others in their choice". It brings nothing to you, (not .the table). I get that but don't feel like you should be policing what can be discussed and what should be taboo. I'll give you a lil cue. Manufacturers like ongoing discussions, It keeps the thread alive. Website owner's also like to get thread going, it keep getting clicks while reviews are a bit more sparse understandingly. It's not your's to choose what is the angle this discussion should go. If the design, construction, and esthetics aspect of a product is of no interest to you, you don't have to participate or comment, but if you feel like it, please don't do so to shut people off, people can discuss what they want.

xaxxon

Come on, everybody can chill a bit, it's a discussion, people give their opinion on a product not everybody has to have the same opinion, and not every post have to be crafted to "Help others in their choice". It brings nothing to you, (not .the table). I get that but don't feel like you should be policing what can be discussed and what should be taboo. I'll give you a lil cue. Manufacturers like ongoing discussions, It keeps the thread alive. Website owner's also like to get thread going, it keep getting clicks while reviews are a bit more sparse understandingly. It's not your's to choose what is the angle this discussion should go. If the design, construction, and esthetics aspect of a product is of no interest to you, you don't have to participate or comment, but if you feel like it, please don't do so to shut people off, people can discuss what they want.
> but if you feel like it, please don't do so to shut people off

Pot, meet kettle. Hypocrite much?

And I do think that telling people that your opinion on what is acceptable looking is correct and that other people are wrong actually harms the overall conversation here. So I don't think I'll stop pointing it out.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Opinions are like rear ends. Everyone has one, they stink and no one cares about yours

PeteL

Major Contributor
> but if you feel like it, please don't do so to shut people off

Pot, meet kettle. Hypocrite much?

And I do think that telling people that your opinion on what is acceptable looking is correct and that other people are wrong actually harms the overall conversation here. So I don't think I'll stop pointing it out.
I am not shutting you off, what I’m saying is that it’s totally ok to disagree with someone and express it, But I find that trying to ban some angles or subjects is against the foundation of healthy debating.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can we go back to complaining about the actual issue and its cause, yet to be identified?
I am sure I will be notified once there is progress. With holidays and such, I don't expect a quick answer. I have shipped the member sample to Buckeye.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
With holidays and such, I don't expect a quick answer.
Definitely a factor.

We have tested A LOT of variables and still working on it. Limitation right now is waiting for Purifi to get back in their offices to go over the buffer board schematic thoroughly with them.

There is very preliminary evidence that it may not be an issue with the buffer board itself (physically/design). Won't speculate further, more so just that we are leaving no stone unturned.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Iam still curious about the designer of the boards, their credentials and experience.

So far this seems to be the poorest performing buffer board we have seen with purifi amps, maybe even with ncore?

Anyway, kudos to Buckeye to being so open and providing a correction pathway for his customers.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the exception of the Neurochrome boards, it seems that almost all these buffer boards degrade performance relative to the Eval 1 board, so it's a mystery to me why more of these assemblers don't just use the Eval 1 boards. Probably the cheapest solution as well.

xaxxon

I am not shutting you off, what I’m saying is that it’s totally ok to disagree with someone and express it, But I find that trying to ban some angles or subjects is against the foundation of healthy debating.
And I'm saying that "healthy debating" expressly doesn't involve trying to tell others what they should prefer from looks.

And it really turns healthy debating into threads like this one, which is now utter trash when it started out good.

All thanks to one guy who thought he knew what everyone else should like and pay for in terms of looks. Instead of just saying "this isn't for me - I'd want a nicer enclosure" he says "this is wrong and bad for everyone" essentially.

We went from a thread which was the epitome of the good that ASR does and now we're in the dregs talking about looks and meta about looks. Signal to noise has gone to pot.

Last edited:

goryu

With the exception of the Neurochrome boards, it seems that almost all these buffer boards degrade performance relative to the Eval 1 board, so it's a mystery to me why more of these assemblers don't just use the Eval 1 boards. Probably the cheapest solution as well.

In general, those (and Buckeye seems the exception) selling hypex and purifi with their own buffers at the lowest prices seem to look to a homebrew buffer as the profit generating part of the amp. Buckeye's buffer provides additional functions unlike many others.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And I'm saying that "healthy debating" expressly doesn't involve trying to tell others what they should prefer from looks.

And it really turns healthy debating into threads like this one, which is now utter trash when it started out good.

All thanks to one guy who thought he knew what everyone else should like and pay for in terms of looks. Instead of just saying "this isn't for me - I'd want a nicer enclosure" he says "this is wrong and bad for everyone" essentially.

We went from a thread which was the epitome of the good that ASR does and now we're in the dregs talking about looks and meta about looks. Signal to noise has gone to pot.
You are wasting your breath. Some people dont get it.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In general, those (and Buckeye seems the exception) selling hypex and purifi with their own buffers at the lowest prices seem to look to a homebrew buffer as the profit generating part of the amp. Buckeye's buffer provides additional functions unlike many others.
which is one reason why i chose buckeye. The features of his buffer was exactly what i was looking for

goryu

which is one reason why i chose buckeye. The features of his buffer was exactly what i was looking for

Myself as well but was waiting for a 3 channel version. Too bad they just didn't use the Purifi buffer with a daughter board. Actually surprised they didn't...

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps Can you explain if that is the case and if so why not Eval 1 design is used?

Top Bottom