• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Myself as well but was waiting for a 3 channel version. Too bad they just didn't use the Purifi buffer with a daughter board. Actually surprised they didn't...
We have a 3ch version, unless you meant 5ch?

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As I recall there wasn't a 3 channel version when you originally announced. I am currently waiting on the Hypex nilai500 to make my own.
Oh originally. Yes. The 3ch was added maybe a month or so later to the lineup

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh originally. Yes. The 3ch was added maybe a month or so later to the lineup

Yes, and I think the nilai500 was announced in the interim. I may still go with a purifi as the nilai500 from Hypex is taking forever to hit the web store and I am getting tired of waiting...

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps Can you explain if that is the case and if so why not Eval 1 design is used?
Wanted to have everything on one board that could be scaled to account for different configurations.

For a strictly 1 or 2 channel design, the EVAL1 one would save a few bucks, but when we decided to offer 3ch and also have the ability to go up to 5ch in the future, we'd need our own board to be cost effective anyways.
Same thought process as incorporating the 7040SA and offering it in up to a 3ch configuration one day as well.

Having our own buffer board that can be configured and scaled as needed seems the best route. We obviously have this hiccup to sort out but I'm confident.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wanted to have everything on one board that could be scaled to account for different configurations.

For a strictly 1 or 2 channel design, the EVAL1 one would save a few bucks, but when we decided to offer 3ch and also have the ability to go up to 5ch in the future, we'd need our own board to be cost effective anyways.
Same thought process as incorporating the 7040SA and offering it in up to a 3ch configuration one day as well.

Having our own buffer board that can be configured and scaled as needed seems the best route. We obviously have this hiccup to sort out but I'm confident.
Couldn’t you have copied the Eval 1 board design? I assume the name Eval means evaluate, hence you are free to use the design, which is published like chip companies’ application notes.

Last edited:

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Couldn’t you have copied the Eval 1 board design? I assume the name Eval means evaluate, hence you are free to use the design, which is published like chip companies’ application notes.
We did. The EVAL1 schematic was used when designing our schematic.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We did. The EVAL1 schematic was used when designing our schematic.
So your design is the same but the measurements are not? If even the PSU is the same than one will assume it is the layout that is causing the problem.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

PeteL

Major Contributor
And I'm saying that "healthy debating" expressly doesn't involve trying to tell others what they should prefer from looks.

And it really turns healthy debating into threads like this one, which is now utter trash when it started out good.

All thanks to one guy who thought he knew what everyone else should like and pay for in terms of looks. Instead of just saying "this isn't for me - I'd want a nicer enclosure" he says "this is wrong and bad for everyone" essentially.

We went from a thread which was the epitome of the good that ASR does and now we're in the dregs talking about looks and meta about looks. Signal to noise has gone to pot.
OK, you must be speaking of someone else, but your quote is quite vague, I didn't pay attention to that "one guy" I guess.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By the way, I think the silkscreening on the back looks really good—clear font and nice and tidy labeling—as well as the logo on the front. People who are complaining about the bent sheet metal construction don’t realize that most audio components are made of sheet metal, either aluminum or steel, of similar thickness and quality with the same sort of gaps and tolerances. What they are missing, I guess, are thick faceplates made of aluminum or plastic that are purely cosmetic and add nothing to the sound, although they might cover up any gaps, etc.

Duckeenie

If you understood the price for each of the three Purifi modules you would understand it doesn't leave much remaining for casework, labor and overhead. Most low cost manufacturers are charging near $1600 for a stereo Purifi amp - this particular unit contains a third Purifi module as well. If the performance is able to match the best Purifi amps it would be a real bargain with the case just as it is.

Have you considered that I might understand that and still have the same opinion? Here's why...

If you're going to spend ~1500 on an amp why scrimp on the appearance for the sake of saving maybe £100? Are people shopping in this range really so price sensitive that a 5-10% price hike to cover the cost of a nice case going to shop for an ugly cheaper model instead? I don't see it.

Duckeenie

Exactly! I thought this board was about objective approaches. The staunch objectivists seem to stray from their SOP when it suits them.
Funny how that works.
If you dont like it, dont buy it .... just quit the bitching OK? Move along to a different thread (not speaking to you @xaxxon)

How is the hivemind these days?

amper42

Major Contributor
Each brand has its followers. Buckeye amps has been low priced builds of Hypex and recently Purifi. The reason I purchased Buckeye was price and measurements. I understood this would look like a high quality DIY build. The price was such that the modules, PS and case parts were typically more expensive than buying a prebuilt amp from Buckeye. The case design was never the sales draw.

As it is, the design now includes extra costs for a micro-processor that I would just as soon not have and clipping lights I don't need. I would prefer the design go back to bare basics and take the $75-$100 off added by these features. If Buckeye started the process of a costly case redesign it would simply raise prices again. Something his competitors would like but not most customers. If you are looking for a fancy case, look elsewhere. You have lots of options to pay more.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question for @Buckeye Amps and Buckeye Amp owners—I assume that the sole LED on the front of the case doubles as the clipping indicator and the error indicator. I also assume that if there is an error, the error indicator blinks a certain number of times on startup to indicate what the error code is. Am I correct and can you provide more detail? Thanks!

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Question for @Buckeye Amps and Buckeye Amp owners—I assume that the sole LED on the front of the case doubles as the clipping indicator and the error indicator. I also assume that if there is an error, the error indicator blinks a certain number of times on startup to indicate what the error code is. Am I correct and can you provide more detail? Thanks!
If there is an error, the LED turns static Red color. When clipping, the LED color will blink Orange.

Martini

Forum Donor
Have you considered that I might understand that and still have the same opinion? Here's why...

If you're going to spend ~1500 on an amp why scrimp on the appearance for the sake of saving maybe £100? Are people shopping in this range really so price sensitive that a 5-10% price hike to cover the cost of a nice case going to shop for an ugly cheaper model instead? I don't see it.

Yes, in many cases people are that price sensitive. I have a very nice main system and now I'm building a second system. I spent enough on the main system and set a more strict budget on this set up. If I'm only willing to spend X-dollars tops on an amp, do you recommend I buy a lower performing amp in a jewel case or the higher performing one in a plain case? I choose performance, it's my prerogative to make those decisions and appreciate having the options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom