• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Audio S400

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You would optimally get an WISA capable sub. I have actually not checked if they exist yet. Otherwise if you run them via XLR to an Preamp, you would plug the subs to the Pre amp. But with the low end extension from the active speakers, who needs subs :D
It's about fixing the room issues though. If you develop a sub that works with your system seamlessly and can integrate with the mains through an app, you will be far ahead of anyone else. This way whether 2ch or MCH you're set!

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
Man, the A500 sounds seriously appealing. I just started testing the D&D 8C - surprise: they sound fantastic - and the thing that impresses me the most about them is how clean the bass is once set up. The idea of a cardioid speaker at a more palatable price is very appealing.

indeed. Now as i understand it, the D&D C8 is not a true cardioid, but a passive one. The woofers on the back on the C8 are mainly like subs correct? Now we are toying around with the Cardioid princip, but doing it a bit different that would you might think, we are pulling the cardioid frequencies further up to cancel frequencies above the sub bass frequencies. I would rather get back with all the information on to how we end up creating them when we have done all the testing and tuning under this princip. But i know of no other speakers that does it quite the way our engineer has done here, it's quite interesting. It would be better to get all the fact just right before i might be saying something wrong here in a forum, i'm learning as well here o_O

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
It's about fixing the room issues though. If you develop a sub that works with your system seamlessly and can integrate with the mains through an app, you will be far ahead of anyone else. This way whether 2ch or MCH you're set!
It would be very easy to do an sub under these same principles. A wireless wisa sub with built in room correction, i could see that being very useful yes :)

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be very easy to do an sub under these same principles. A wireless wisa sub with built in room correction, i could see that being very useful yes :)
DO IT! Must be able to integrate 3-4 of them

Mads Buchardt

Audio Company
Thank you for the respond. No I didn't compare M30.1 and A400 in the same room, and I understand the A400 will sound different once I get it home. Don't get me wrong, the A400 I heard is still amazingly good and it is one of my favourite speaker I have demoed in a long while, and I agree A400 beat my higher price M30.1 in many ways.

I am excited to hear that A500 will be even better than A400. Looking forward to seeing it launch. Please keep us posted.
I just need to be completely sure that you mean S400, not A400 correct? But yeah, you need to listen to the A500 when we launch it! Especially if you are a Harbeth fan, and to how they do midrange. I think they would suit your taste very well.

kaka89

indeed. Now as i understand it, the D&D C8 is not a true cardioid, but a passive one. The woofers on the back on the C8 are mainly like subs correct?

I think your understanding is correct. 8C uses the side ports to cancel frequencies and create the cardioid pattern. (Which is pretty cool)
The subwoofers on the back are just subwoofers.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Now as i understand it, the D&D C8 is not a true cardioid, but a passive one.

An acoustic cardioid field can be achieved passively (D&D 8C) or actively (as you are doing).

The woofers on the back on the C8 are mainly like subs correct?

Yes, the drivers on the back of the 8C are providing the "sub" frequencies (< 100Hz here), and not participating in cardioid field generation.

With some semi-clever active/dsp filters, one could shape the fields (spatially and spectrally) with the dual-driver configuration you've chosen.

BTW -- kudos on your current and future products. Big fan. Your cardioid design is very close to a diy project I'm working on.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
An acoustic cardioid field can be achieved passively (D&D 8C) or actively (as you are doing).

Yes, the drivers on the back of the 8C are providing the "sub" frequencies (< 100Hz here), and not participating in cardioid field generation.

With some semi-clever active/dsp filters, one could shape the fields (spatially and spectrally) with the dual-driver configuration you've chosen.

BTW -- kudos on your current and future products. Big fan. Your cardioid design is very close to a diy project I'm working on.
Hey DC, I have seen you post multiple times that you're busy with a build. Could you share some details? :)

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You would optimally get an WISA capable sub. I have actually not checked if they exist yet. Otherwise if you run them via XLR to an Preamp, you would plug the subs to the Pre amp. But with the low end extension from the active speakers, who needs subs :D

You can’t beat physics I prefer to offload the deepest bass from the main speakers , lower distortion and/or higher level it’s helps even the best of speakers imho :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now as i understand it, the D&D C8 is not a true cardioid, but a passive one.
It's not cardioid all the way down to 0Hz (only 100Hz), are you saying your's goes lower, or something else?
They are using acoustic filtering not DSP to create their cardioid. For end users it's all about the quality of the result, not how it was achieved.
The woofers on the back on the C8 are mainly like subs correct?
Exactly like a sub.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would rather get back with all the information on to how we end up creating them when we have done all the testing and tuning under this princip. But i know of no other speakers that does it quite the way our engineer has done here, it's quite interesting. It would be better to get all the fact just right before i might be saying something wrong here in a forum, i'm learning as well here o_O
Please do. I had assumed you were doing it the same way Kii do, if you are doing something else that's really interesting. Please also explain your choice of frequency to start the cardioid from, it's not clear to me what the pros and cons are for different design goals in this.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
indeed. Now as i understand it, the D&D C8 is not a true cardioid, but a passive one. The woofers on the back on the C8 are mainly like subs correct? Now we are toying around with the Cardioid princip, but doing it a bit different that would you might think, we are pulling the cardioid frequencies further up to cancel frequencies above the sub bass frequencies. I would rather get back with all the information on to how we end up creating them when we have done all the testing and tuning under this princip. But i know of no other speakers that does it quite the way our engineer has done here, it's quite interesting. It would be better to get all the fact just right before i might be saying something wrong here in a forum, i'm learning as well here o_O
Don't see how passive and "true" cardioid are exclusive. The cardioid champions are ME Geithain, and as far as I know, their solution is passive.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cardioid effect occurs over a limited bandwidth, with the controllable frequency range related to the spacing between the drivers. Easy example: because the Kii's designers wanted ~3 octaves of cardioid response, they placed the side-mounted drivers closer to the front-mounted mid than to the woofers on rear. IOW, your hands are tied if using 2 drivers in a single cabinet.

dc655321

Major Contributor
The cardioid effect occurs over a limited bandwidth, with the controllable frequency range related to the spacing between the drivers. Easy example: because the Kii's designers wanted ~3 octaves of cardioid response, they placed the side-mounted drivers closer to the front-mounted mid than to the woofers on rear. IOW, your hands are tied if using 2 drivers in a single cabinet.

Interesting, thanks. Can you provide further info (math) or references on this?
I would have thought that spatial constraints determined Kii's driver placement, rather than acoustic design...

EDIT: was thinking of this image from the D&D patent:

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 4.04.55 PM.png

EDIT2: are you referring to the "acoustic shadow" created by the topology of the A500? i.e. the enclosure will attenuate and/or diffract frequencies > some cutoff frequency, depending upon its dimensions? Box-shading, as it's referred to here.

Last edited:

sfdoddsy

What do you mean by independently measured?

I measured the S400 myself and posted the results in this forum, and you replied to the thread =]. Perhaps you mean anechoic? In any case, I think my measurements are close enough to buchardts that they are useful. On the horizontal plane, the S400 has some of the best results I've seen on a speaker, passive or not.

Sorry, I didn't mean to disparage your measurements. I was indeed thinking more along the lines of the NRC measurements.

However, that doesn't change my point.

Whilst your measurements of the S400 are good, your measurements of the KH80 are even better.

Likewise the M2 vs the Revels.

If a speaker that measures better doesn't sound better, then what is the point of obsessing over measurements?

Either we are measuring the wrong things, or we accept that preference outweighs reference and dive back into the funhouse of audiophile subjectivity.

I admire your attempts to include measurements in your reviews.

But unless you (and others) can reconcile the disparity between what your graphs show and what your ears prefer, we are a long way from being scientific.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All I can say about that is that I tried to like the Revels and didn't. I tried multiple times and purchased the M2's after going to Harman and listening to them there. My friend who attended the blind audition in CO also kept his M2's after buying both the M2's and Revels and living with them for a bit.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry, I didn't mean to disparage your measurements. I was indeed thinking more along the lines of the NRC measurements.

However, that doesn't change my point.

Whilst your measurements of the S400 are good, your measurements of the KH80 are even better.

If a speaker that measures better doesn't sound better, then what is the point of obsessing over measurements?

Either we are measuring the wrong things, or we accept that preference outweighs reference and dive back into the funhouse of audiophile subjectivity.

I admire your attempts to include measurements in your reviews.

But unless you (and others) can reconcile the disparity between what your graphs show and what your ears prefer, we are a long way from being scientific.

No worries, I never thought you were disparaging my measurements. =]

That said, the point I was trying to get across with my earlier post is that we sometimes interpret the data incorrectly, or at least, place too much weight on certain aspects, especially with limited anechoic data. In that sense, I agree with you that sometimes we "obsess" over measurements. This does not mean the measurements themselves are not useful or that we're measuring the wrong things, but we're working with limited data.

You have to remember that most discussions on ASR are about state-of-the-art or near state-of-the-art speakers. I'm simply saying that once a speaker is as flat as say, the S400, getting the frequency response a little bit flatter like the KH80 probably isn't going to make a huge difference. Same with the revel and M2.

There are diminishing returns for 'flatness,' and these speakers have probably crossed that threshold. Other factors start to have influence. For example, wide dispersion vs narrow dispersion. And there's still some room for preference in that regard.

However, if we were comparing the S400 to a speaker with godawful measurements, that'd be a different story.

Measurements are still useful predictors of blind test results (which are still the gold standard of audio quality for obvious reasons). Remember that Sean Olive actually developed a formula for predicting preference among a group of speakers - using complete sets of anechoic data - with remarkably high accuracy. We just don't usually have access to that kind of anechoic data and aren't plugging it into formulas, so instead, we on forums eyeball a few graphs and have at it with our best guesses about performance.

That's fine. The measurements are just getting us somewhere closer to the truth, if not the complete truth. Preference is always going to be a part of audio. That's why we correlate measurements to blind tests in the first place.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I agree with everything @napilopez wrote. Two additional, subtly different, possibilities come to mind:

1) The ear-brain has perceptual thresholds, so maybe at some point good enough is good enough in a given factor, and the ear brain latches onto something else. With the Salon 2 vs. M2 blind test, maybe both have on axis/listening window deviations below these thresholds. So the defining area of performance is something else: maybe dispersion, cabinet diffraction, drive unit height relative to listening position, boundary relationships, and so on. That implies you need to see all the angles, and have a working knowledge of how drive unit configuration affects room interaction.

2) The ear-brain has perceptual thresholds, so maybe at some point of high performance there is declining sensitivity to a given factor or masking of that factor by differing rates of sensitivity to different factors. The implication here is Revel Salon 2 may beat M2 blind due to the factors above or others, BUT Salon 2 equalized to be even flatter may beat Salon 2 direct wired to an amp. I do not know if this case has been tested, though I would be surprised if not. I think JBL's version of the Trinnov SSP has anechoic data for Salon2 baked in.

Top Bottom