• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Audio S400

9radua1

Regarding sub output, the fact that the 8C has an integrated a sub channel with configurable DSP crossover and D\A conversion is pretty neat. Would love to see that in the A500, @Mads!

The 8C also sports an AES pass-thru which effectively gives you the ability to do digital room correction/bass management separately on a sub (after the speaker), without needing a 3 or 4 channel preamp/source. Now, if the A500 room correction could somehow “see” a connected sub and do separate channel room correction and crossover for sub and speakers in the same UI - that would be fantastic :)

Without proprietary subs like the Kiis, it would integrate better with peoples existing gear. And avoid double D/A conversion like Dynaudio XD / Sub6.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know if the A 500s can have all the options you list ?
but for 3500 euros or US dollar if they can sound like 8c and kii or even get close to them... for me it will already be fantastic with this price! :cool:
(I listened very long kii and 8 c)

Misterwiggles

Can anyone speculate - or better yet, @Mads Buchardt could comment - on the physical cabling connections required by these speakers? I’m installing floor based AC outlets with space to run under floor cabling for aesthetic reasons. I assume the two speakers will require being physical cables connecting them along with AC cables for power coming from each speaker. Other than that are there any other connections/cables required assuming no external XLR DAC etc? Mads mentioned a ‘breakout’ box that housed the room correction electronics along with what I assume might be other inputs such as network & Roon support. Have a project to stub out the conduit and get my space ready for these speakers. Just wanting the basics ahead of time so I can complete the work. Thanks!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their speaker stand is 70 cm (not quite 28 inches), so I assume that's the right height. The stands are a bit pricey, so I was thinking of getting some Pangea stands instead.
Where to find these Buchardt Stands, by the way? At what cost?
These are not listed on their website. I was wondering if the stands are out of production, @Mads Buchardt ?

Screenshot_20200105-025357_Chrome.jpg

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can anyone speculate - or better yet, @Mads Buchardt could comment - on the physical cabling connections required by these speakers? I’m installing floor based AC outlets with space to run under floor cabling for aesthetic reasons. I assume the two speakers will require being physical cables connecting them along with AC cables for power coming from each speaker. Other than that are there any other connections/cables required assuming no external XLR DAC etc? Mads mentioned a ‘breakout’ box that housed the room correction electronics along with what I assume might be other inputs such as network & Roon support. Have a project to stub out the conduit and get my space ready for these speakers. Just wanting the basics ahead of time so I can complete the work. Thanks!
hi
I am also doing some work at home in my listening room ... I am planning cable ducts under the future parquet floor for 4 subwoofers or for other configurations ... it doesn't cost a lot of money or time ?

Daverz

Major Contributor

Daverz

Major Contributor
Thanks. Unfortunately, this can't be shipped to EU and doesn't match aesthetically.

Oops, I don't tend to check Location. For those who can order them, they do match aesthetically IMO. The smaller top plate (they come with 2 top plates) is only a few millimeters wider and a few millimeters shorter than the S400s, so they blend very well with the flat black of the drivers.

9radua1

Where to find these Buchardt Stands, by the way? At what cost?
These are not listed on their website. I was wondering if the stands are out of production, @Mads Buchardt ?

I wrote to Mads a few weeks ago about said stands. They don't offer them anymore. He did say, though, that he had a used pair he would sell me (I live in Denmark). So you could try that. Or else, I am in the process of acquiring the S300 with stands. You can buy those from me, if you care to pay for shipping.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... Since ou host started to play with speaker measurements, maybe @Mads Buchardt should send the S400 (or any other) for objective review?:)

It would be an interesting comparison, given Buchardt uses the Klippel system too:). Could be a good way to see how the system holds up in different setups.

marcel1980

Hi everyone,
i would like to know, if the S400's is really suitable for smaller apartments (i know that the manufacturer claims this) more specificaly i heard the bass is quite strong and i would not want to harass my neighbors with this ;). I usualy have my music around 65 -73 Db (according to iphone DB measurement apps). May be a bit unspecific question but an overal suggestion would help. Thanks!

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,
i would like to know, if the S400's is really suitable for smaller apartments (i know that the manufacturer claims this) more specificaly i heard the bass is quite strong and i would not want to harass my neighbors with this ;). I usualy have my music around 65 -73 Db (according to iphone DB measurement apps). May be a bit unspecific question but an overal suggestion would help. Thanks!

Well, it's all about what level you're playing at and what your sound isolation is like. 65-73 isn't too bad. You need good bass for a speaker to sound good, no other way around it. The Buchardts are well balanced. They have more bass than expected for their size, but they're still passive bookshelf speakers. Your neighbors will be fine =]

D

Deleted member 65

Thanks. Very nice and seems to be a good aesthetic match... There's also an EU website... 420€/pair inc shipping. Definetly not cheap. o_O

I bought these some 10 years ago, have them in our summerhouse setup. They’re very nice, were 100€ at the time!

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Misterwiggles

Roon-ready is a critical requirement for the A500's for me. The website says 'Chromecast (Roon-Ready)'. So that means I are streaming from Roon to Chromecast receiver built-into the hub? By that definition then the Airplay functionality would also be Roon-ready since Roon has the ability to stream to Airplay receivers. So there is no direct ethernet Roon-ready option in this setup? Or would I use a Raspberry-Pi running Roipeee to take ethernet in and send the audio signal out the USB bus into the USB-B input of the Buchardt hub? No point in putting a DAC in front of the A500s because they have their own DAC built-in so Roon would downsample anything higher than 24/96 as that is wha the Hub would present to Roon? Just seeking clarification.

Daverz

Major Contributor
Roon-ready is a critical requirement for the A500's for me. The website says 'Chromecast (Roon-Ready)'. So that means I are streaming from Roon to Chromecast receiver built-into the hub? By that definition then the Airplay functionality would also be Roon-ready since Roon has the ability to stream to Airplay receivers. So there is no direct ethernet Roon-ready option in this setup? Or would I use a Raspberry-Pi running Roipeee to take ethernet in and send the audio signal out the USB bus into the USB-B input of the Buchardt hub? No point in putting a DAC in front of the A500s because they have their own DAC built-in so Roon would downsample anything higher than 24/96 as that is wha the Hub would present to Roon? Just seeking clarification.

I don't think Mads checks here very often. You would probably get a faster response on their Facebook page or writing them directly.

Top Bottom