• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt Audio S400

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm surprised that the pre-order campaign is starting now when deliveries won't start for another 6 months?

"""
DELIVERY JUNE - PRE ORDER CAMPAIGN (€300 OFF) ""

the second surprise is the similarities with SA Audio especially the rear panel and the hub? https://system-audio.com/product/sa-legend-7-silverback/
A500-White-2.jpg

silverback.jpg
The hub and remote look identical to.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the second surprise is the similarities with SA Audio especially the rear panel and the hub?

I don't know anything about SA Audio but Mads has previously said that the active platform they're using is a customizeable OEM package so there's nothing surprising about other companies using it, if that's what happening.

No way Buchardt could afford to make their own amplification/DSP/WISA system from scratch.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I don't like at the S400 (and coming S500) is that their directivity function is having 2 different characteristics, till 2 kHz is increasing like on common Hifi speakers and from there it is rather constant directivity like on bigger PA systems:

View attachment 46730

I have the feeling that this was also the reason I somehow liked tonally their S300 whose sound power is less smooth but more continuous without such clear kink at 2 kHz:

View attachment 46731

You could also like them more since this looks very similar to stereo system error compensation according to Shirley with a relative more energy in 1-2 kHz vs 2-5 kHz. This compensation may sound more neutral on many recordings. (BBC made another compensation for other reasons.)

marcel1980

I red in recent reviews about the S400, that it's not the best on low volume levels. Is there maybe an area in dB that you guys would not recommend? I do listen to levels about 65-73 dB at home. Is this maybe in the low level area and if yes, would a decent amplifier get more of the S400 at low levels?

Daverz

Major Contributor
Do I detect a small dab at the MQA folks? From the description:

“This means that we can ensure that the package of bits stored in the mastering studio where the music is recorded can be transported without any loss directly into the heart of the speakers, where our perfectly matches signal path takes over the processing of the data.”

https://www.buchardtaudio.com/a500-detailed-description

I think this is just trying to assure the crowd that's still nervous about DSP.

Daverz

Major Contributor
I red in recent reviews about the S400, that it's not the best on low volume levels. Is there maybe an area in dB that you guys would not recommend? I do listen to levels about 65-73 dB at home. Is this maybe in the low level area and if yes, would a decent amplifier get more of the S400 at low levels?

I listen at those levels all the time and don't find it problematic. On the other hand, I've never had speakers that didn't sound better when you crank the volume up to about 80 dB or so.

morespinach

I think I can do without signature version :)

Just posting here (especially registered after months of lurking!) to thank you for the candour. I'm a Xeo customer, and tired of Dynaudio's pricing. Even the expensive Xeo6 is horribly underpowered just so they can charge even more exorbitant money for Xeo30, which is the starting point of a decent full-ish system for anyone serious about their sound. I hope Buchardt will keep its product line simple. S400 for passive folks; A500 flagship bookshelf; A700 flagship floorstanding; and similar lower-end bookshelf + floorstanding. Please don't over-bake your product line. For most modern apartments, A500 is already stellar and room-shaking.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, when you design a speaker and can provide polar plots such as they have done you'll have a business for the world to buy. Easier said then done!
10 to 1 ratio of parts to price is common in high end speaker pricing. By that measure the S400 is actually something of a bargain, esp since to comes from a small specialty company and not some audio giant like KEF.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
10 to 1 ratio of parts to price is common in high end speaker pricing. By that measure the S400 is actually something of a bargain, esp since to comes from a small specialty company and not some audio giant like KEF.
I think you'd be surprised how much of a ratio is being made still on the S400. Even more so with their new actives. There is obviously less overhead then if they were entirely a Chinese company, rent and offices in EU is expensive but fact is their costs are in line with any other manufacture who does business with China: very, very cheap.

xarkkon

I think most speaker brands being bandied around these parts will still be at a significant premium to DIY and Chinese speaker brands, regardless of whether they were made in China or not. Question is, are these a good bargain still when compared against your China-factory big brands. Based on what I've heard so for, I think yes, despite their flaws.

But I'm eager to see Amir's review of them compared to the Elac Reference, which I have not had a chance to listen to.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
But I'm eager to see Amir's review of them compared to the Elac Reference, which I have not had a chance to listen to.

with the fare, she'd be more like the R3s.

Daverz

Major Contributor
"Frequency response: 33 - 40.000 Hz +/- 3dB (in-room)"

Sure...

Maybe in a smallish, rectangular room with the speakers close to the front wall? But, yeah, that spec is an embarrassment.

What bass they do have is pretty satisfying, though.

ezra_s

Forum Donor
well, to me I notice more they are powerful in very low frequency sounds than higher ones not getting to "mids", as in 30-80 I really sense them, but above those thay sound pretty flat, and yes, my room is small, toed in 25º but around 30-40cm to the wall.

As an example, many songs of Thom Yorke sound really low hz boom boom. :cool:

Oh and another example, I use to play a space game called X4... ship engines make my table shake, its amazing!

SpaceMonkey

Hi, would anyone know which OEM is making the WISA/amp for Buchardt and System Audio Silverback speakers?

Alexsilva

Hi, So just got my S400 for a wild and I was thinking on changing the crossover to the same as the SE option.
do anyone have the schematics of that Crossover?

Top Bottom