• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BOXEM Audio | Arthur 4215/E2 Purifi Amplifier | Owners' Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date

Bobesku

Hello. I have received my amp yesterday. It looks really nice and my first SUBJECTIVE impression is really good. The sound is incredible. I have discovered some new details on my tracks. The power is clearly a step up and the control and "grip" is right there. Compared to my former amp Arcam SA20 it has more finesse, plays every note like a Swiss clock and power - more than I ever need in my home. It never lost control on levels of around 80-85 db... Which is way to much in my enviroment!
And I will be a bit sad this winter, because my other amp was working as a small heater, this one is barely above room temp and only when playing loud. :D

But until taking these conclusions I had one thing that I needed to fiddle with. And did not find a way to suit my listening style for both very low and normal to high volumes last evening. When I was listening at normal levels or a bit above it sounded good. But when I was listening at lower levels (below -30db from the dac) the bass seemed to be weaker and also some details lost. I have tried both Low and Mid gain and the result was just a bit better on the Mid gain.

Last night I was using a Cordial CFM MV which I found to be used for mics! Today I received another cable that I have ordered just in case, a Sssnake Audio TRS-XLR. This one is used for mixers or other pro audio electronic equipment. Plugged it in and voila! The mids are even and much present and the bass is there on the whole usable range of my dac's preamp volume. I know cables do not "sound" different but this is a clear case of something gone wrong on the first cable (either construction, soldering, etc). And by the way, these are cables that do not cost an arm and a leg, honest cables...

I have also ordered the RCA-XLR cable from boXem which seems a step up from above cables, clearly. But I didn't use it. It was more like a fool-proof buy in order to make sure I have all connectors in place. Too bad there is no TRS-XLR cable in their offer... yet ? :) However, if the second cable did not performed well, that would have been my next attempt with the RCA-XLR cable.

So Wow! If I didn't ordered several cables I could have thought that the amp is not performing quite perfectly! BUT IT IS PERFORMING GREAT!

I LOVE IT!! I can only recommend it.

Last edited:

Crimsonvertigo

Just a noob question for the c13 power cord for the Arthur 4125, 10A is the one to get right? Not more nor less.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Just a noob question for the c13 power cord for the Arthur 4125, 10A is the one to get right? Not more nor less.
As long as it has an IEC rating of 10 A / 250 VAC it is perfectly fine for countries with a 230 V network.
For US, a 15 A UL rating should be chosen.
While we are at it, the 4215/E2 is compatible with Schurter V-lock system.

Vapor matt

Hi

I have a question a suitable cable purchase for the Boxem Arthur 4215E2 Purifi E1400T I use the WiiM Pro Plus Airplay 2 Receiver which is RCA out? and the Boxen Arthur is XLR in. can anyone recommend or supply a link to the cable i would need please?

thanks in advance.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi

I have a question a suitable cable purchase for the Boxem Arthur 4215E2 Purifi E1400T I use the WiiM Pro Plus Airplay 2 Receiver which is RCA out? and the Boxen Arthur is XLR in. can anyone recommend or supply a link to the cable i would need please?

thanks in advance.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thanks in advance.
This one boXem already sells:

I personally use Monoprice RCA to XLR for my measurements :
1000022312.jpg

Also, keep in mind that you will have to run 27dB input Gain since the WPP output is only 2V.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thanks for the reply's, so i will have to run high input gain 27dB thats great i will get a cable ordered up.

Thank you!
Personally I would avoid desymmetrizing a signal....
Dont spend too much in any case for that cable....

As reminder

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Personally I would avoid desymmetrizing a signal....
What does this mean?
As a reminder:
Voltage, also known as electric pressure, electric tension, or (electric) potential difference, is the difference in electric potential between two points.
source: Wikipedia

No, it is a coax cable (used for RCA) with an XLR plug on one side. What is needed is a 2 wires + shield cable (used for XLR cables) with an RCA plug on one side.

Edit - link removed, apparently random wiring for this cable.

Last edited:

Vapor matt

Thanks for the advice, i have ordered 2 of these as recommended above. I have orderd this pair as known to work i guess. Hopefully delivery wont take to long.

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thanks for the advice, i have ordered 2 of these as recommended above. I have orderd this pair as known to work i guess. Hopefully delivery wont take to long.

84 euros for a 50cm RCA >XLR cable it's really expensive... This is just my humble opinion
But everyone has their own wallet )
A 15 euro cable would have done the job...

daniboun

Major Contributor
What does this mean?

I don't know the exact specifications of this amp. But if you use a RCA > XLR cable you will probably not be able to drive it to full output power ?

I take an example that I know with an analog situation: The 3e Audio module is fully balanced (as your amp) and has a nominal gain of 21.5 dB, : it takes about 2.9 Vrms input to drive it to its full rated power @8ohms and 2.7 Vrms @4 ohms load. That means you will probably not be able to drive it to full output power with this type of cable...

Last edited:

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I don't know the exact specifications of this amp. But if you use a RCA > XLR cable you will probably not be able to drive it to full output power ?

I take an example that I know with an analog situation: The 3e Audio module is fully balanced (as your amp) and has a nominal gain of 21.5 dB, : it takes about 2.9 Vrms input to drive it to its full rated power @8ohms and 2.7 Vrms @4 ohms load. That means you will probably not be able to drive it to full output power with this type of cable...
It is not a question of cable, it is a question of sensitivity. Sensitivity being the input voltage needed to obtain the maximum power in 8 Ohm.
Sensitivity = output voltage at max power / gain.
So the gain switch influences the sensitivity. In fact it is the main reason for it's presence.
Both the web site and the product manual indicate a minimal sensitivity of 1.8 V, which is well suited for devices outputting 2 V.
BTW @VintageFlanker already indicated that a few posts ago.

daniboun

Major Contributor
It is not a question of cable, it is a question of sensitivity. Sensitivity being the input voltage needed to obtain the maximum power in 8 Ohm.
Sensitivity = output voltage at max power / gain.
So the gain switch influences the sensitivity. In fact it is the main reason for it's presence.
Both the web site and the product manual indicate a minimal sensitivity of 1.8 V, which is well suited for devices outputting 2 V.
BTW @VintageFlanker already indicated that a few posts ago.
Makes sense thx

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As many Purifi or nCore OEM amps, this does have a Gain switch...
Also, keep in mind that you will have to run 27dB input Gain since the WPP output is only 2V.
2Vrms will indeed drive this amp at full power.
84 euros for a 50cm RCA >XLR cable it's really expensive... This is just my humble opinion
I personally wouldn't pay that much either. Still, that cable is all premium parts, especially the Neutrik ProFi RCA, that are very expensive (I remember buying four of these plugs for almost 50€ a few years back), so the retail price considering both parts and assembly (and margin, of course) doesn't struggle me one bit.

daniboun

Major Contributor
personally wouldn't pay that much either. Still, that cable is all premium parts, especially the Neutrik ProFi RCA, that are very expensive (I remember buying four of these plugs for almost 50€ a few years back), so the retail price considering both parts and assembly (and margin, of course) doesn't struggle me one bit.
Cordial or other manufactures good quality, sturdy XLR/RCA cables with Neutrik connectors @16E. But after all it's a matter of wallet )
You demonstrated yourself via a great test that an expensive cable provided nothing more than a moderately priced cable....So why spend more in the end?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Cordial manufactures good quality, sturdy XLR/RCA cables with Neutrik connectors @16E. But after all it's a matter of wallet )
I would stay MILES away from cordial,I have already posted a disassembled one that simply didn't make sense by any wiring XLR to RCA (or vice versa) condition.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I would stay MILES away from cordial,I have already posted a disassembled one that simply didn't make sense by any wiring XLR to RCA (or vice versa) condition.
There are other alternatives so as not to spend 84E for a pair of XLR/RCA cables, you understand very well)

Top Bottom