• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BOXEM Audio | Arthur 4215/E2 Purifi Amplifier | Owners' Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date

Sokel

Master Contributor
There are other alternatives so as not to spend 84E for a pair of XLR/RCA cables, you understand very well)
Yep,there are lots to choose but at honest buys you get what you pay for.
I have plenty cheap 4-5 euro RCA plugs who once was gold and now are turning to silver :facepalm: (and that's only the outside,imagine the friction part).
I have seen cables with their (minimal) shield turn completely black instead of copper.

Nope,I have a nice bulk of mogami star-quad mic cable at all times and make my own with some nice Amphenol (RCA) or Neutrik (XRL) plugs.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yep,there are lots to choose but at honest buys you get what you pay for.
I have plenty cheap 4-5 euro RCA plugs who once was gold and now are turning to silver :facepalm: (and that's only the outside,imagine the friction part).
I have seen cables with their (minimal) shield turn completely black instead of copper.

Nope,I have a nice bulk of mogami star-quad mic cable at all times and make my own with some nice Amphenol (RCA) or Neutrik (XRL) plugs.

Really ? In the end I wonder who is the stupidest? The one who sells or the one who buys.....

etc etc.....

Let’s talk a little about Neutrik since we’re there?

XLR > RCA Neutrik Adapter measurements :

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

What are you talking about exactly?

The Neutrik and Amphenol connectors are pretty much the best you can buy. They don't corrode, delaminate or generally deteriorate unlike much of the garbage connectors sold on Aliexpress.

AFAIK, @boXem uses quality Amphenol XLR jacks on his gear.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Cordial or other manufactures good quality, sturdy XLR/RCA cables with Neutrik connectors @16E. But after all it's a matter of wallet )
You demonstrated yourself via a great test that an expensive cable provided nothing more than a moderately priced cable....So why spend more in the end?
1. If you know about another RCA connector that allows connecting ground before signal and that is cheaper than a Neutrik Profi, please let me know, I will be happy to propose such a product to my customers.
2. Please remember that we provide top notch cables to our customers as a service, our business is electronics.
3. As much as I enjoy seeing this thread staying at the top of the list, three pages commenting how wrong somebody was when buying a pair of cables seems a bit rude to my eyes.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Really ? In the end I wonder who is the stupidest? The one who sells or the one who buys.....

etc etc.....

Who said anything about measurements?
We're talking about proper cabling and quality,that if you care about the stuff you plug these things into,as they not all have the same grip or the perfect smoothness required.

SPECIALLY if you plug them in some cheap boards where the sockets are directly soldered on the PCB (without aditional screws on case,or some lose ones) and a bad connector can stress them to the point of no return.

Nice try about the SQ though,specially to someone that constantly measures stuff :)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Who said anything about measurements?
We're talking about proper cabling and quality,that if you care about the stuff you plug these things into,as they not all have the same grip or the perfect smoothness required.

SPECIALLY if you plug them in some cheap boards where the sockets are directly soldered on the PCB (without aditional screws on case,or some lose ones) and a bad connector can stress them to the point of no return.

Nice try about the SQ though,specially to someone that constantly measures stuff :)
I especially pointed out your statement which did not seem fair to me: "Yes, there is a lot of choice but when shopping honestly, you get what you pay for."
No hard feelings but I'm not of this opinion, well not all the time) I think the debate is closed) Thank you for this feedback.:)

Sokel

Master Contributor
I especially pointed out your statement which did not seem fair to me: "Yes, there is a lot of choice but when shopping honestly, you get what you pay for."
No hard feelings but I'm not of this opinion, well not all the time) I think the debate is closed) Thank you for this feedback.:)
Because talk and debate is cheap,what do you see here as an experienced DIYer?

20231205_112836.jpg

See the shield split between 1 and 3 pins while blue and red are both connected to 2 pin?

Does it makes sense to you?

I'm done here.

Bobesku

Hi, regarding the cables, as I have posted in this thread earlier, I was unlucky with my Cordial cable. Second attempt with a Sssnake cable just fixed it but I could have gone wrong with that one too. If boXem had a TRS-XLR cable in their offer I would have bought that from day one.

I have also taken the RCA-XLR cable from boXem along with the amp purchase for a couple of reasons: to keep it compatible with RCA only sources and because the RCA cables tend to be more susceptible to external factors and not everyone builds such a good RCA-XLR cable.

And, just for fun, I have tested the RCA-XLR boXem cable. If I use the MID gain setting it's on par with the TRS-XLR cable on LOW. No noise, no BS, just good quality cable that should outlast the others (Cordial, Sssnake, cheap ones from Amazon etc).

This whole debate on cables is indeed a bit strange, nobody puts his hand in anyone's pocket - you get what you pay for. Looking at boXem cable, it is miles away better than the other cables, and specs should be inline and the build well engineered. Price? Well, consider you are paying a dinner for it, after all there are people assembling it and it's a company that needs some profit as well. Actually I thought that by buying this cable, would also be a small gesture in supporting their business.

In my country we have a saying: "I am too poor to buy something cheap". So whenever I have an option to buy something more expensive but for a good reason, I do it.

----------------------------------------

Now onto another thing. I have been listening carefully every day, several hours and there is still something I don't like in my system. When I am listening at low volumes (-25db and lower) from my Topping E50 dac used as preamp, the sound is too thin. Actually below -32db it becomes quite obvoius that the highs are more elevated and the mids and lows are not inline with the rest. Once I crank the volume on -20db and higher the whole thing comes alive. Better sound, better dynamics and everything snaps in place in terms of music delivery. Just wonderful.

I have been contemplating in getting a Preamp. Was thinking of a Topping L70? Would it make any difference if I used the Topping E50 on dac-mode max volume into the Topping L70 as preamp for lower volumes?

Now I found out that my Arcam SA20 amp which has been in for repairs should be arriving in the next few days. I am tempted to test with it used as a preamp and no load as in no speakers attached?

Does anyone have any thoughts or input on the above?

Last edited:

bbforce

Actually below -32db it becomes quite obvoius that the highs are more elevated and the mids and lows are not inline with the rest.
What you perceive here is the missing loudness compensation of your pre- amp. This can only be fixed by a pre with such a function - e.g. RME ADI2 DAC series that even allows to adjust the loudness compensation level (separately for low and high- frequency boost).

Bobesku

OK. Thanks for your input. I was thinking that maybe if the Arcam SA20 has resistive ladder volume control circuit, that would be on equal terms with the control of the Topping L70 as a preamp (or other Topping devices that wok as preamps as well - A70 Pro or A90 Discrete).

The RME ADI2 DAC is very tempting, especially for the extra features - including ability to put import filters from REW and improving the room. However, this end of year has come with a lot of unexpected expenses on my side, some of them unrelated to audio and music, just life, so I cannot think of adding it in my chain, not yet.

I will play with the Arcam as a preamp when I have it here and get back with my findings.

However, this topic is about boXem amp. And I must say it is performing absolutely stunning when the source is right (in my case volume on the louder side from the dac).

I have also found that I have some crappy material that I cannot listen and enjoy anymore, due to poor quality, but that was expected and it was no surprise. Such a high fidelity engineered amp will pull out everything! Everything, all details, good or bad! Source matters!

withoutsuit

Because talk and debate is cheap,what do you see here as an experienced DIYer?

View attachment 331814

See the shield split between 1 and 3 pins while blue and red are both connected to 2 pin?

Does it makes sense to you?

I'm done here.
Well, they show the connections made transparently at the product page, on this picture: https://www.cordial-cables.com/de/produkte/cfu-fc If you have issues you may contact them.

I'm using cordial cables wherever I can and have had zero issues.

Reactions: MCH

Bobesku

Quick update: My previous amp Arcam SA20 came back from repairs. And I plugged it into my chain just as a pre-amp. Now low volume listening sounds fantastic. The mid-high levels were already top! It seems that in my case, using the Topping E50 dac as a preamp was not the best solution for low levels. The boXem amp handles the heavy-lifting like a champ. :cool:

And guess what, I am using the cables from boXem now in this combo. :D

Vapor matt

Well i have received 2 X XLR cables from Boxem ( thanks very much for the swift service ) to go with my new Eversolo Master edition and 4215 Amp which i also fitted the LPS-A6 linear PSU to the Eversolo A6-ME. The speakers i use are a pair of Triangle BR08 floor standers.

So far i find the sound amazing, as the Eversolo gets use it seems to be getting better, maybe burn in who knows but so far very pleased, a step up from the wiim pro and the 4215 amp sounds perfect and precise through the triangle BR08 speakers. I use Tidal for the streaming and find the Eversolo works a treat with Tidal. hearing detail and a sound stage that can sound almost 3D in some tracks. Enjoying Dire straights all over again.

Very pleased with everything, and sounding very good!

GaryY

Forum Donor
I have been using 4215/E2 for a month now. I'm a big fan of Pat Metheny and "Beyond the Missouri Sky" had been a kind of lullaby in low volume in the night for me since released in 1997....After having Boxem, I have an issue this album can't be cradlesong anymore because I can count every bass note and can't fall asleep in short time....haha. As long as budget is allowed, I would dare to recommend to anyone who is looking for amplifier. And automatic signal sensing is the one of the best feature as electronics I would say.

Last edited:

Vapor matt

I now have the 4215/E2 in a very nice setup with the Eversolo A6 master edition with linear PSU fitted with USB in to RME ADI2 DAC also with linear PSU and finally connected to my triangle BR08 speakers. this sounds awesome and the 4215 sounds wonderful via Qobuz

For the people who believe you can just use cheap connecting cables i have listened to the difference and can hear it. this goes for XLR and usb cables. I use the BoXem XLR cables from RME AD12 DAC to amp and a high grade USB cable from eversolo AD6 to DAC. the quality of the cables can make a difference you can hear.

have a look here

This 4215 amp sounds great so don't skimp on the cables, they are worth it.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The cables and linear power supplies ( for those two particular components) won’t make the slightest difference.
Real gains in sq are always to be found in loudspeakers and their interaction with the room.
Keith

Last edited:
Top Bottom