• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thesoundof

ATM.trialing the Bluesound Powernode N330 and as a consequence dropped into armirm's thread of the Bluesound NODE "2021" and came to wonder if the DAC in the N330 performs as flawed as in the Node, since both consist of PCM5343 I assume it would be the case.
Can someone test the performance of N330 output using toslink from a computer as source? As a side note, would it be possible to test in BlueOS - Radio Paradise with MQA enabled VS normal Radio Paradise stream (For more INFO) and Qobuz/Tidals performance through BlueOS VS Optical? How does the headphone output really perform in N330?

Setup:
Qobuz(wasapi exclusive)/PC/USB/SMSL M500 DAC - LineMagnetic-217IA 300B - Straightwire Black Silk speaker cables - ProAc studio 125 speakers
VS
Qobuz(wasapi exclusive)/PC/Toslink/Bluesound Powernode N330 - Straightwire Black Silk speaker cables - ProAc studio 125 speakers

From what I can tell so far the LineMagnetic-217IA 300B Tube amp with SMSL M500 smoothens out bad recordings better and has somewhat better overall "contrast" though it is difficult to distinguish any clear drawbacks with the Powernode N330 other than that the setup looks extremely minimalistic and medicore recordings performs worse. IMO.with good recordings there seems to be no clear issues of separation, dynamics, soundstage, bass, mid end or high end as expected from this "all in one component" that consumes about as much as a LED bulb. The price difference regarding purchasing, maintaining and power consumption of the Tube amp doesn't justify the audio differences there may be. So either new technology is on it's way to "break the audio physical law", both stages are medicore or SMSL aint performing better than Powernode's DAC.

NOTE: 0 problems installing and using the BlueOS app on iPhone or logging in/adding any services.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are you adding the PC to this system? Aren't you streaming through the Powernode?

OP
Thesoundof

Thesoundof

Why are you adding the PC to this system? Aren't you streaming through the Powernode?

Using PC for gaming and as a multimedia device and sometimes it’s just more convenient to use it to stream music than the smart phone even though streaming is almost sufficient for all types of music playback. It would be nice to have actual measurements of what source gives the best result out of those.

I’m also thinking about adding a vinyl player with integrated riaa to the powernode.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Using PC for gaming and as a multimedia device and sometimes it’s just more convenient to use it to stream music than the smart phone even though streaming is almost sufficient for all types of music playback. It would be nice to have actual measurements of what source gives the best result out of those.

I’m also thinking about adding a vinyl player with integrated riaa to the powernode.
Don't worry about the DAC chip in the node if you are using tubes and vinyl

wrevilo

ATM.trialing the Bluesound Powernode N330 and as a consequence dropped into armirm's thread of the Bluesound NODE "2021" and came to wonder if the DAC in the N330 performs as flawed as in the Node, since both consist of PCM5343 I assume it would be the case.
I'm also interested in whether the performance of the Powernode would be severely limited by the DAC if it is the same as the reviewed Node.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As result of the Node post I added a Topping E30 ($150) to my Vault2 and there was a bit more detail barely noticeable and only on some recordings, IMO. You might consider some of NADs other offerings that have the BluOS the dacs are different and some have Dirac room correction software.

The powernode is a great total solution for a small price!
sure you can do a little Better with separates, but at the expense of comfort, simplicity and probably money.
i have had the powernode for a year, now separates for 10 times the price, but the powernode is hard to beat for 899 euro!
If you do not care about simplicity and looks, look at topping separates, dac and amp, combined with a streamer. also a great option for the price!

nstzya

Setup:
Qobuz(wasapi exclusive)/PC/USB/SMSL M500 DAC - LineMagnetic-217IA 300B - Straightwire Black Silk speaker cables - ProAc studio 125 speakers
VS
Qobuz(wasapi exclusive)/PC/Toslink/Bluesound Powernode N330 - Straightwire Black Silk speaker cables - ProAc studio 125 speakers
Aren't those Black Silc's the massive 1 inch thick (inflexible) snakes? How do you keep them from pulling the diminutive Powernode off the shelf/stand/etc???

Top Bottom