• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

Zensō

Major Contributor
LAN still exists btw, all of my stationary devices are connected via cable.

Till Wifi 6 becomes mainstream, Wifi will still be sucky for large number of devices.
Yeah, I get it. I live in a 100-year-old house that still has the original lath and plaster intact, so running cable is not an appealing option. I’ve had very few problems with WiFi, but I know I’m fortunate in that regard.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean like taking a RPi out of a box, copying a pre-configured image to a microSD card, inserting the card and turning the RPi on? My dog could probably complete the task (he's smart). :)
Dogs typically are smarter than 68-year old male humans. You've documented that yours is likely smarter than I am.

Last edited:

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Bluesound app is known to most to be fairly mature and easy to use by most.
This actually was a huge factor in my purchase decision. The Google Play Store rating on the BluOS Controller app is 4.4, which is an extremely high rating indicating that users overwhelmingly find it to be useful and fairly trouble-free. With that said, user friendliness is a very individual thing; I'm not suggesting that folks who complain about it are being unreasonable.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Before getting Roon I used my Node 2 with BluOS app for about 3 years and never had a single issue. My Node 2 died back in January so I got the ARCAM ST60 as a replacement and also got Roon. Since then I have been using Roon only. Two weeks ago got the Node for my bedroom and it works just as good as I remember my Node 2 used to work before stoping working :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That all makes sense. I suspect this device is “good enough” for most people who aren’t listening critically. I have a bunch of Sonos speakers scattered throughout the house that serve a similar purpose and provide lots of enjoyment.
Don't listen critically? A Node 2i hooked to a Topping D70 streaming Qobuz is as critical as it comes IMO.

rodtor

Forum Donor
For years, I use Bluesound Node, Powernodes (both first generation) and NAD M50 at home, with Qobuz.

So, in short, it's unforgivable they don't provide the right technical quality, because, in practice, the Blueos ecosystem is pretty pleasant to use.
But, as you say, if you plug a real DAC and a good amp, the problem is solved.

I agree with this. The BluOS app works very well, in my experience, once you get used to it. That does take some doing, admittedly. And this unit works very well as a streamer but, as with the earlier version tested by @amirm, one must bypass the internal DAC to avoid degradation of SINAD from whatever source one is using. I connect it digitally to an RME DAC. There no doubt are much cheaper streamers out there that do a good job. For me, the saving grace of the NODE is the BluOS firmware that allows me to stream subscription services, radio stations and my digitized CD collection in one place.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
From what I’ve read on the Bluesound forums, their multi-room implementation is unstable unless you have a very fast/reliable WiFi network. I doubt anyone is able to run anything near 64 players in hi-res.
Why would anyone play hi-res when the devices can't even reach the CD standard?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time to get the app working and try all the features and then rate it. I have loaded over 1000 CDs on my Vault2, listen to radio stations around the world, may have listened to 1000 of the 7,000,000 albums on Qobuz and have it three rooms in my house (including my shop/garage w?$85 used node1) all managed with an app that is pretty easy use on a tablet. There are quirks with the app like no connect feature and some others, but the $500 value proposition is pretty easy to see in my world. Adding one those $100 Topping dac's to your best critical listening system is no big deal with the money most of us have spent on gear. It's one box wonder. Get the app working and test everything it does rather shit-canning it based on its one easily mitigated mediocre feature.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Not to mention the stables and the servant's quarters. We'd like the footmen and the gardeners to be able to enjoy some Mozart after their day's labors are fulfilled.
And on Boxing day, the one day they get to take off. :)

I am running 11 connected audio output devices on my Amazon setup without an issue. I will probably get several more later this year. I'm adding another wing to the house.

Top Bottom